British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2017

cityrebel

Who is doing the track now Gerald Richter isn't ?

Gerald's departure was reported on the Hammers forum allegedly via Facebook. Was that where this news came from as I cannot see any reference on the the main site, facebook or twitter for that matter. Gerald, himself, doesn't appear to have a facebook page.

Gerald's departure was reported on the Hammers forum allegedly via Facebook. Was that where this news came from as I cannot see any reference on the the main site, facebook or twitter for that matter. Gerald, himself, doesn't appear to have a facebook page.

Bit of a blow, that, depending on who they get in.

Richter is one of a handful of very capable track curators.

Bit of a blow, that, depending on who they get in.

Richter is one of a handful of very capable track curators.

He has jobs at Rye House and Poole and at Gerald's age it's probably a tough call doing three tracks on a regular basis. They have people who can do a track, perhaps not as well as Gerald but when he had his heart attack a few years ago they were able to get by.

For the sort of track they need for NL racing they will probably be ok. For example they won't have riders going round the boards the way that Bridger and Kennett did. It will probably need to be fairly slick and even all over so the NL men can turn their bikes.

On my 2 visits to Eastbourne last year the track was too grippy so the lesser riders couldn't turn the bike properly.

Suited Ellis fine but not what NL teams should be doing.

A lot of the issue is that riders don't come across grippy tracks enough to learn how to ride them. If all the NL does is set up slick tracks how will riders be prepared for the next step up?

• Like 4

When the weather conditions allow and it's not too wet or worse still very hot and drying, the track at Arlington is normally about right, a little slick on the inside moving out to deeper stuff on the outer lines. The likes of Jake Knight mastered it pretty quickly and even the likes of beginners like Charley Powell became happier as the season went on. Away reserves varied in ability and control, but the reserve races were never a forgone conclusion of a 5/1.Go with a slightly deeper track on the outside and will definitely bring the riders on at some point.

• Like 1

Gotta have plenty of dirt imo, for 2 reasons 1) without dirt there is very little to promote genuine passing (ie not caused by a mistake)

2) it's my belief that the only way to learn is to do, if tracks were made slicker a nl level then the step up to the the old PL and EL on "grippier" tracks is an even bigger jump to make.

• Like 2

I think that some people at Lakeside are in for a bit of a shock because of the standard of some of the wobblers that they are expecting to see.

We have had several years of juniors from the Hagon Shocks Academy racing before the main event and wobblers is the last way one would describe them. Almost all are very smooth. We have seen Ben Morley progress from a 14 year old to National League Champion so I think we know more or less what to expect.

• Like 1

We have seen Ben Morley progress from a 14 year old to National League Champion so I think we know more or less what to expect.

And people have also seen the likes of David Mason, a Two-Bob rider; progress to the dizzy heights of not being worth Tuppence.

Dream on pal. If you are expecting Lakeside to survive, then you are living in LaLa Land.

And meanwhile, I've read that even Gerald Richter has moved on to a real Speedway Club?

Cook has destroyed the Lakeside Hammers - period.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

And people have also seen the likes of David Mason, a Two-Bob rider; progress to the dizzy heights of not being worth Tuppence.

Dream on pal. If you are expecting Lakeside to survive, then you are living in LaLa Land.

And meanwhile, I've read that even Gerald Richter has moved on to a real Speedway Club?

Cook has destroyed the Lakeside Hammers - period.

Do try to keep up. The discussion is what standard we can expect from genuine NL riders not an OAP that nobody wants masquerading as a genuine development league rider.

And who said anything about expecting Lakeside to survive ? That's just your irrational bile and hatred pouring out. Nobody else has mentioned it. Any one with the slightest understanding of the sport knows it's not just Lakeside, there is a big question mark over whether the whole sport can survive, at least in anything vaguely resembling its present form.

Edited by E I Addio

He has a twitter page and he hasn't mentioned anything on it about not being at Lakeside.

He has Facebook posts with photographs of work he is in progress of doing at Rye House (where he will be doing the same job that he did at Lakeside). Gerald will remain a 'track consultant' at Lakeside and I can only assume that one of his protégés there will be doing the track prep.

• Like 1

Might just as well call it a day than go National League. The race to oblivion continues.

Congratulations you are now officially my least favourite "contributor" to this forum. Non stop misery, doom & gloom. Must be wonderful to stood next to you on race day. Are you likely to attend any Lakeside matches this season?

• Like 2