British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2017

cityrebel

Snapping up 2 x 4 point riders now seems like a shrewd move as most teams are searching for those that are no longer available. Bowtell or Hunter @ no 2 doesn't look so bad now that other sides are coming together however i still have the sneaky suspicion that the last place will be filled by a total rookie.

By signing 2 of the best riders on that average they've effectively forced teams to sign weaker riders at number 4 on a similar average. Unintentional but beneficial when they come up against sides who have set up with a strong top 3.

• Like 1

Snapping up 2 x 4 point riders now seems like a shrewd move as most teams are searching for those that are no longer available. Bowtell or Hunter @ no 2 doesn't look so bad now that other sides are coming together however i still have the sneaky suspicion that the last place will be filled by a total rookie.

You could be right but unfortunately Mason and Lawrence still look as poor as they did when first announced.

• Like 2

By what everyone is saying on all the threads the 39 point limit had done the trick, no one has a perfect team, strong top end vs strength in depth, younger teams vs more experience, just think we're lucky with the nl, going to be really open this year, roll on April.

• Like 2

Hardly anyone went to EL race meets, so don't expect many to turn up to a NL Q&A session.

I don't know to which meetings you are referring but previous Lakeside forums have been very well attended.

• Like 1

Teaboy I think a small few will turn up to the Q & A, like most clubs there will always be a small hardcore support that will go whatever and whenever, I also think a few sitting on the fence might go to see what is what and whether they feel they will give the product a go.

I think the key to success when dropping down is to have an impressive team line up and be right up there. That means that the sceptics are more likely to go, because they will be watching a winning team.

Both Birmingham and Eastbourne, to their credit, did that.

While the late entry really didn't help, I am not certain that the named Hammers side will be able to achieve the sort of performances required.

• Like 2

I think the key to success when dropping down is to have an impressive team line up and be right up there. That means that the sceptics are more likely to go, because they will be watching a winning team.

Both Birmingham and Eastbourne, to their credit, did that.

While the late entry really didn't help, I am not certain that the named Hammers side will be able to achieve the sort of performances required.

Think you could be right although like Eastbourne should be pretty unbeatable at home which is the first step to getting fans to try it out.

Many of the riders will not have ridden Lakeside before so it should be a fortress,Even the top riders in this league ,Bowen and Boxall are not at their best on this very tight circuit....the away matches should be the deciding factor in their final league position,,

Many of the riders will not have ridden Lakeside before so it should be a fortress,Even the top riders in this league ,Bowen and Boxall are not at their best on this very tight circuit....the away matches should be the deciding factor in their final league position,,

Boxall got very close to being signed as EDR reserve in the Lakeside EL side a couple of seasons when ago after a couple of impressive guest appearances but he got injured. He is pretty good round there. Not sure Bowen will do much though.

The thing is we don't really want a team that is winning purely because 90% of the opposition have never seen the place before and get in a tangle on the first bend. I agree we need a winning team but there needs to be decent racing on the way. This is where a lot of people seem to agree David Mason is a poor signing. The crowds won't support a rider who wins if he gates but is content to sit in 3rd or last if he misses the gate. He doesn't really seem to be a racer. That seems to be the reason he wasn't particularly popular at Kent.

The other thing is success on the road. There are two or three riders capable of decent performances away from home but I don't think there is a fan anywhere who thinks the last two signings are going to be banging in big scores on the road.

• Like 2

IMO the club have a history for trying to be like Arsenal, they aim for a top four place (by winning at home) rather than build a team to actually top the table.

To be fair though a lot of clubs now adopt this attitude because the core of your support is at home, apart from the odd derby match, gone are the days where you see more than a handful of away fans visiting. So over 95% of the fan base only see the team at home so home wins are vital.

Once the new boys settle in this will be a very good team at Arena, despite I don't agree with his signing I think even David Mason will score well at home early on but by the end of the season I would expect his figures to pan out something like 8.00 at home and 4.50 away.

Shame Anders Rowe has signed for Kent, after all the track time we gave him last season I would have like to have seen him sign for us, not sure on his age but maybe Jason Edwards is a contender?

• Like 1

IMO the club have a history for trying to be like Arsenal, they aim for a top four place (by winning at home) rather than build a team to actually top the table.

To be fair though a lot of clubs now adopt this attitude because the core of your support is at home, apart from the odd derby match, gone are the days where you see more than a handful of away fans visiting. So over 95% of the fan base only see the team at home so home wins are vital.

Once the new boys settle in this will be a very good team at Arena, despite I don't agree with his signing I think even David Mason will score well at home early on but by the end of the season I would expect his figures to pan out something like 8.00 at home and 4.50 away.

Shame Anders Rowe has signed for Kent, after all the track time we gave him last season I would have like to have seen him sign for us, not sure on his age but maybe Jason Edwards is a contender?

Anders was the Rye House mascot during the Len Silver era and Len has kept close tabs on him since then so, I suppose, it was inevitable that he would be recruited by Kent. Jason won't be 15 until the middle of next October but he could get an outing or two should the season extend to the end of that month.