British Speedway Forum

Lakeside 2017

cityrebel

As far as I have been able to make out, general practice sessions run from 10am to 3pm on Saturdays apart from the first Saturday of the month. Drift practice takes place alternate Sundays, also 10 - 3. Track prep would have to start a little later but this must have been the case when Coventry visited on both occasions last season.

That's correct. Its also the case that on the monthly Ride n' Slide speedway training days, Gerald doesn't get on the track until around 4pm . Of course for NL racing much less track prep will be needed.. It will no longer be a case of having grip where the EL riders want it and what suits their set ups. All that will be needed is a steady smooth surface that the riders a re able to turn the bikes properly on. At NL standard they wont be fickle about set ups and racing lines in the same way the top riders are.

I can see a number of problems to be overcome, but finding slots in the calendar and getting the track ready isn't one of them.

Bloody hell, what's the points limit going to be?

My guess is...

1. Rob Branford 9.98 (Adam Ellis 10.98 if he'd do another season)

2. Luke Clifton 4.22 (Callum Walker 3.45)

3. Jack Kingston 5.84

4. Danno Verge 4.43

5. Ben Morley 9.22

6. Sam Woods 3.00

7. Connor Locke 3.00 (Any other 3.00 suggestions?)

Other riders I would like to see would be Marc Owen, Alfie Bowtell or Mark Baseby

I'm not so up to date on the NL rules so I don't know if this team is legal, please feel free to correct me on the rules

Edited by Dandelion

I think some people need to realise the amount of work and time required to set up the Lakeside Track - and the time aspect is clearly dependent upon how many track volunteers are actually on hand to assist.

Obviously, on ride and slide days, the track is already built; so it's primarily a case of track prep and a few maintenance/cleaning duties.

However, setting up from scratch after a car event is a completely different beast.

As a general overview of tasks, these include:

- Getting the lorries with fencing, airbags and other equipment from the car park to trackside. Easy? Maybe not - when you consider not everyone can drive a lorry; nor negotiate long flatbed trailers via the tight pits.

- Off-loading very heavy airbags, wooden posts and fence panels.

- Digging out shale and other crap from the holes around the entire track perimeter; so that the wooden airbag posts and fence posts, can sit rigidly into the holes.

- Laying out the airbags in the correct order to ensure they can be correctly velcro'd and zipped together. Zipping is a major pain in the rear; imagine trying to get heavy duty zips working properly when they are caked in dry, dusty shale from the previous meeting.

- Off-loading the fences for the straights; and bolting these together (not always the easiest of tasks getting two seperate panel bolt holes alligned)!

- Off-loading the wooden posts for the bends - again this has to be in the correct order else the strapping (similar material as car seat belts) becomes completely twisted and tangled.

- Multiple clipping of the airbags to the strapping.

- Getting the airbag generators fueled and working before inflating the bags; then remedial repairwork to any holes and/or the rubber flap basing.

- Putting up signage on the centre green; and erecting sponsor signage elsewhere.

- Jet-washing all airbags and fence panels (these fence panels are also repainted 2-3 times per season).

- This used to be the case - erection of a VIP area close to the pits.

- Off-loading and setting out crowd barriers along the back straight.

- Setting up the starting gates.

- Setting up all electrics in the refs box; then multiple testing of starting gate; warning lights, audible pit warnings and telephone.

- Jet-washing the pits area; particularly ensuring that the surface is free from potential slipping/H&S risks. Bear in mind that demolished stock cars are dragged through the pits; so extra care is taken given that they are often peeing out oil, coolant and petrol.

- Ensuring that the pits area has sand and fire extingishers in place. Checking the tyre airline works correctly. Sticking up a race card for each rider.

- 'Walking the track' visibly looking for bolts, screws, exhaust brackets, and gawd knows what other debris materialises from the aforementioned wrecks - but absolutely vital for rider safety.

That's just a rough idea from memory.

However, I hope it provides an idea of the work AND TIME involved by Lakeside's often unsung heroes; the vast majority of whom do it for absolutely nothing other than 'a labour of love'.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason
  • Like 5

Are they good? I know nothing about national league riders.

Both young and promising. Both started at Rye House in 2015 under Andrew Silver alongside Hume and were raw. Hunter was the number 8 that year so he didn't ride that much. Hunter averaged 3.47 and Bowtell 3.95. Both started last season in the main body of their teams for practically the first time and Hunter suffered several injuries at Rye to halt his progress but was widely regarded as the only promising rider of their bottom end and rode at number 4. Bowtell moved to Mildenhall and seemed to struggle a bit tbh but he had a month at reserve midseason which seemed to get his year back on track and he ended the season well at number 2. I don't think the change of track helped Bowtell. Both had steady seasons last year for different reasons but both have shown glimpses of potential and their averages are both on the up.

Edited by Islander15
  • Like 2

Both young and promising. Both started at Rye House in 2015 under Andrew Silver alongside Hume and were raw. Hunter was the number 8 that year so he didn't ride that much. Hunter averaged 3.47 and Bowtell 3.95. Both started last season in the main body of their teams for practically the first time and Hunter suffered several injuries at Rye to halt his progress but was widely regarded as the only promising rider of their bottom end and rode at number 4. Bowtell moved to Mildenhall and seemed to struggle a bit tbh but he had a month at reserve midseason which seemed to get his year back on track and he ended the season well at number 2. I don't think the change of track helped Bowtell. Both had steady seasons last year for different reasons but both have shown glimpses of potential and their averages are both on the up.

Thanks mate.
  • Like 1

Useful signings with plenty of options open to build the rest of the team. Bowtell i suspect was quite in demand so can be considered a positive gaining his signature. I believe both are mates off track as well which can be considered a bonus. Both also appear to have good equipment/backing which is a major bonus especially at NL level.

Only downside is that they are both the rider you want for the same position number 2 / strong reserve. If a team can be built that way with them both switching then Lakeside are in a strong position but if they have to run at 2 & 4 then the reliance on the heatleaders will be pretty heavy.

I have to say that's an encouraging start, I think if the club is to grab the fans attention they will need to sign young riders like these two and not journey men who have been racing for years and years or riders in their 30s regardless of experience.

Ps don't know how old Rob Mear is now but I would have him leading the team as he has experience of teaching through the academy and will be a good mentor and Ben Morley should be a given.

Useful signings with plenty of options open to build the rest of the team. Bowtell i suspect was quite in demand so can be considered a positive gaining his signature. I believe both are mates off track as well which can be considered a bonus. Both also appear to have good equipment/backing which is a major bonus especially at NL level.

Only downside is that they are both the rider you want for the same position number 2 / strong reserve. If a team can be built that way with them both switching then Lakeside are in a strong position but if they have to run at 2 & 4 then the reliance on the heatleaders will be pretty heavy.

My thoughts exactly. Both good individual signings but it's intriguing to see how they'll make up their team. Edited by Islander15

Can't say I ve seen much of Hunter but, I keep reading positive things about him.

Bowtell depends which Alfie turns up, on his day he looks mega fast and others looks like he is struggling to stay on. He needs a season without injury breaks, to allow him to develop.

Both are works in progress with considerable scope to dramatically increase thier averages. As been said a lot depends on what numbers they will be at. Number 2 is proper grave yard shift in the NL especially later in the year when rr comes out in heat 8.

• Like 1

Two very good signings for the Hammers to begin their team building. Was sad to see Bowtell leave Rye at the end of 2016, Hunter has had bad luck with injuries but looks a good prospect if he can stay injury free.

The Hammers should look to have Hunter start at reserve if at all possible.

Two very good signings for the Hammers to begin their team building. Was sad to see Bowtell leave Rye at the end of 2016, Hunter has had bad luck with injuries but looks a good prospect if he can stay injury free.

The Hammers should look to have Hunter start at reserve if at all possible.

Bowtell left the end of 2015 season, what a season that was, followed Hume and Bowtell alot in their 1st season, both so raw and fast but couldn't gate but were so fast but had so much trouble completing 4 laps , both lads never knew when to give up. Bowtell seemed to struggle in the Mildenhall team last year where as Hume blossomed at Brum. Hunter looked a good prospect at the end of 2015, more smooth than the other 2, but struggled with injuries in 2016. Hope all 3 do well next year.

Bowtell left the end of 2015 season, what a season that was, followed Hume and Bowtell alot in their 1st season, both so raw and fast but couldn't gate but were so fast but had so much trouble completing 4 laps , both lads never knew when to give up. Bowtell seemed to struggle in the Mildenhall team last year where as Hume blossomed at Brum. Hunter looked a good prospect at the end of 2015, more smooth than the other 2, but struggled with injuries in 2016. Hope all 3 do well next year.

Of course it was 2015, getting my years mixed up!

Now the points limit is known I'd expect the Hammers to be pretty quick on the team building front. I'd expect the Hammers to be trying to secure Leigh Lanham on an 8.68 average, although if Morley is signed up that could leave them pretty top heavy, increasing the pressure on Hunter and Bowtell.

Of course it was 2015, getting my years mixed up!

Now the points limit is known I'd expect the Hammers to be pretty quick on the team building front. I'd expect the Hammers to be trying to secure Leigh Lanham on an 8.68 average, although if Morley is signed up that could leave them pretty top heavy, increasing the pressure on Hunter and Bowtell.

No thanks. Leigh is a really nice bloke , and a Hammers legend but he is nearly 40 years old and watching him is like going to a funeral these days. Young blood is needed.

• Like 1