British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2017

Well done Charles Wright 15 point max for Redcar yesterday, think that's his first away max in the second level of Speedway. Continuing his fine start to the season, keep it up mate.

A fine start indeed - I've seen him have a good meeting or two at Poole too so that bodes well for Friday.

Haven't seen Charles ride this season. What has made the difference to his excellent start I wonder? Is he gating more consistently? Furthermore, I wonder if perhaps he has invested more in his machinery.

I know he has some loyal sponsors, especially those at Somerset.

• 2 weeks later...

With other premier teams strengthening-up are the Rebels likely to follow?

Does Gary have any plans & what options does he have? Your comments please.

P.S. What fantastic racing we had v the Swindon Robins, all witnessed by Terry Russell, B.T. sport should stage all their meetings @ Belle Vue & The Oaktree!

With other premier teams strengthening-up are the Rebels likely to follow?

Does Gary have any plans & what options does he have? Your comments please!

Think we have to strengthen! If you look at the BSPA averages atm everyone has dropped their average so far but Hougaard, Allen, Grajczonek are doing ok so far. Wright has done well too but isn't really a team rider 😉 Starke, Tungate and Graversen have had a drop of over a point Tungate case has dropped almost 5 points.

Kerr would be a decent rider who rode well against us, Lawson too to add much needed top end strength.

Edited by Brummie Rebel

@casesrebels

Unfortunately due to lack of interest SREF have had to cancel the coach booked for the Belle Vue away meeting on Bank Holiday Monday May 1st

I am surprised by this. Poor showing

I was surprised it was Somerset visiting on a bank holiday TBH and not a team with a good following like a poole/wolves/Swindon

Edited by Phil The Ace

I was surprised it was Somerset visiting on a bank holiday TBH and not a team with a good following like a poole/wolves/Swindon

There will still be some there but it's 3 1/2 hours up there from Somerset and being bank holiday too you can probably add at least an extra half hour at least then the coach would leave another half hour earlier than that, 4 1/2 hours on a bank holiday many people wouldn't want to do that. I'll be there though.

Not surprised as combining the M5 and M6 on a bank holiday Monday is nobody's idea fun, it becomes a very long day.

Fixture planner

I suppose 'somebody' has to be 'somewhere'....

Although with it being a BH you would think promoters would want to maximise their income and schedule local(ish) derbies wouldn't you?

Maybe they had planned it that way and Cov where scheduled until their demise? With Wolves GF that would have made sense..

However, Leicester rode there last Friday, so maybe they could have taken the BHM slot instead?

To be fair though, you hardly see any travelling fans these days anywhere, with possibly the exception of the Aces who seem to have a fair few who travel most matches..

To be fair though, you hardly see any travelling fans these days anywhere, with possibly the exception of the Aces who seem to have a fair few who travel most matches..

Yes I hardly noticed the Pirates fans at Highbridge on Good Friday evening. ;)

When I travel away nowadays and especially on bank holidays I travel overnight and make a day of it. When we are at Somerset im camping for two days, similar with Swindon spent the day in Poole etc. You do have to gamble with the weather but ive been lucky on that front. I remember when many clubs rode on a Saturday which meant away sides always had a good turn out, clubs like Swindon, Coventry, Cradley, Eastbourne, Kings Lynn spring to mind, the GP,s put paid to that. Midweek meetings are not easy unless you want to use all your holiday allowance taking a chance on the good old British summertime weather.