British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2017

I think it will be a very tough year for Somerset if they cannot beat a Championship away when at full strength.

Obviously there were cobwebs to be dusted and Sheffield is a unique track but I think Somerset are going to get thumped at places like Wolves, Poole and Belle Vue.

Yeah maybe, but not at full strength as Josh was riding for the Tigers and Greaves scored zip. I think if Josh had been at 5 for us with Jake at 6 and obviously a suitable replacement at 1 for them the Rebels would have won comfortabley.

Good work out for the lads though, Hoaggard had a good debut and Charles has now had two good matches. It's not rocket science to see that it will be very hard for us this season primarily in heats 13 and 15 away from home, but at home I think we will surprise a few people.

Just getting ready for the long drive down for the Pairs tonight, can't wait👍

Edited by Cliffeboy
  • Like 3

So the meeting isn't actually until Saturday? :o

Incidentally, I found out Wednesday that as KK missed official Polish practice earlier in the week whilst riding for Poole at Monmore, he was instructed to practice on Friday after Thursday's Golden Helmet qualifier and before Saturday's meeting.

Was parking £1.50 last year or is that a new increase?

Parking was £1 for many years, now £1- 50 Looking at The Star this week out of the tracks that show parking, Somerset is the most expensive parking in this League. 50p not much but when you add it to increase in programme and admission. Would be worth it if you could watch someone like Holder, Doyle, Lindgren, or Kasprzak every week.

• Like 1

Parking was £1 for many years, now £1- 50 Looking at The Star this week out of the tracks that show parking, Somerset is the most expensive parking in this League. 50p not much but when you add it to increase in programme and admission. Would be worth it if you could watch someone like Holder, Doyle, Lindgren, or Kasprzak every week.

No its not. We are £2.

Would be worth it if you could watch someone like Holder, Doyle, Lindgren, or Kasprzak every week.

You can Howard......if you add Nicholls, Harris, Andersen, Bjerre & King to your list, one or more of them will be at the Oaktree every home meeting.........Just saying :t::P

Edited by womble53
  • Like 3

​Been thinking about this all the way home, and hoping a few of you can enlighten me to whats going on.

I dont live localy, but follow the Rebels for my sins, so probably not up to speed so to speak on matters in hand. But on arriving home i have gone back through the

Somerset website, which i do, or maybe it should be I thought I had kept up to date on. But cant see that ive missed it, and talking to many regulars around me, they

seemed to not know either. And there were 3 flags out on display tonight.

By order of the management, take down the Confederate Flag. Its been banned. Whats that all about ???????

I cant say ive seen it on the website, I know I have 2 pairs of glasses but cant say ive seen it on there. But no doubt someone will put me right.

Why has it been banned ???

By who has it been banned ???

When did this happen ???

No mention of it on the forum either.

And I had to chuckle, or should I say scratch my head, as when stood in the bar, though and behold is a clock, proudly showing the Confederate flag.

Now are you going to tell them or shall I.

But is this a ploy for the fans to trot on down to the track shop to hopefully buy new shirts, coats and caps etc, to raise a few coppers, as the club are hoping we will

throw our old ones away. If you think about it, its big business in the Premier football league, clubs changing there shirts every season, and fans having to buy new ones on a yearly basis. But I for one wont be.

Thank you

​Been thinking about this all the way home, and hoping a few of you can enlighten me to whats going on.

I dont live localy, but follow the Rebels for my sins, so probably not up to speed so to speak on matters in hand. But on arriving home i have gone back through the

Somerset website, which i do, or maybe it should be I thought I had kept up to date on. But cant see that ive missed it, and talking to many regulars around me, they

By order of the management, take down the Confederate Flag. Its been banned. Whats that all about ???????

I cant say ive seen it on the website, I know I have 2 pairs of glasses but cant say ive seen it on there. But no doubt someone will put me right.

When did this happen ???

And I had to chuckle, or should I say scratch my head, as when stood in the bar, though and behold is a clock, proudly showing the Confederate flag.

But is this a ploy for the fans to trot on down to the track shop to hopefully buy new shirts, coats and caps etc, to raise a few coppers, as the club are hoping we will

throw our old ones away. If you think about it, its big business in the Premier football league, clubs changing there shirts every season, and fans having to buy new ones on a yearly basis. But I for one wont be.

Thank you

It happened just over a year ago :blink:

Management took some pretty serious and unfair stick over use of confederate flag from do gooders.

As the abuse was pretty nasty easiest way I would think was to bin it.

Believe at Sheffield stewards made supporters take it down, very sad really.

Have these idiots not got anything better to worry about?

• Like 7

When did this happen ???

Thank you

I would think that Somerset stopped using the Confederate flag because of all the controversy that went on in the USA last year and still causing controversy today.

President Obama issued an executive order that came into affect on the 18th June 2016 which makes it illegal to posses any item or symbol bearing the sign of the confederacy.Obama called the confederate flag a symbol of hatred and compared its history to that of the third reich.

So as you can see it is not a ploy by the club to make you buy new coats and caps etc.

When did this happen ???

Thank you

Pity the promotion capitulated to idiotic political correctness as to the rebels flag, the professional offendees will be the same lefty types that rejoice in the likes of St Patricks day etc but are quick to label St Georges day as racist. The promotion should have ignored these goons.

• Like 6

My first visit to the OTA, great track and facilities etc, but totally spoiled by the stupidity of the home fans having to take down their Confederate flags. Have seen the Rebels fans many times at Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Rye House, Sheffield and other tracks close to where I live, proudly flying their flag and have to say they are a credit to the club and speedway in general. They seem a great bunch of guys and always have good friendly banter and they are very sporting, applauding every race, win or lose.

I stood on the home straight last night and when the announcement was made the fans were incensed, it seems as though, all but a couple of people, new nothing about the ban. Apparently, it was so called announced, at a function sometime last Nov / Dec, but has never been on the website, so most fans had no idea about it. Very poor PR by the management, if you ask me, seems they might be a tad embarrassed about the whole thing. Can`t see a problem with the Confederate flag myself , definitely not racist and who gives a stuff about Obama, just a load of rubbish by so called do- gooders. The fans were telling me that the flag is relevant to the history of Somerset, a few hundred years ago, although I can`t remember to much of what they were telling me. I sense that all will not be well with the Rebels after this, as fans were telling me that they will not be returning and those with season tickets will see out the year and not return next year.

Just a view from an outsider, but could I suggest that the Promoters call a meeting with the fans to discuss the situation.

• Like 1

My first visit to the OTA, great track and facilities etc, but totally spoiled by the stupidity of the home fans having to take down their Confederate flags. Have seen the Rebels fans many times at Peterborough, Scunthorpe, Rye House, Sheffield and other tracks close to where I live, proudly flying their flag and have to say they are a credit to the club and speedway in general. They seem a great bunch of guys and always have good friendly banter and they are very sporting, applauding every race, win or lose.

I stood on the home straight last night and when the announcement was made the fans were incensed, it seems as though, all but a couple of people, new nothing about the ban. Apparently, it was so called announced, at a function sometime last Nov / Dec, but has never been on the website, so most fans had no idea about it. Very poor PR by the management, if you ask me, seems they might be a tad embarrassed about the whole thing. Can`t see a problem with the Confederate flag myself , definitely not racist and who gives a stuff about Obama, just a load of rubbish by so called do- gooders. The fans were telling me that the flag is relevant to the history of Somerset, a few hundred years ago, although I can`t remember to much of what they were telling me. I sense that all will not be well with the Rebels after this, as fans were telling me that they will not be returning and those with season tickets will see out the year and not return next year.

Just a view from an outsider, but could I suggest that the Promoters call a meeting with the fans to discuss the situation.

The relevance is with the name Rebels not the flag. Much of the Monmouth rebellion took place in Somerset, the Duke of Monmouth finally being defeated at the battle of Sedgemoor.

The flag in question is not the flag of the confederate states it is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. It was created by their commander to avoid confusion on the battlefield as the flags of the Northern and Southern states were very similar.

Here Endeth today's history lesson. There will be a test next Friday 😉

• Like 6

I would think that Somerset stopped using the Confederate flag because of all the controversy that went on in the USA last year and still causing controversy today.

President Obama issued an executive order that came into affect on the 18th June 2016 which makes it illegal to posses any item or symbol bearing the sign of the confederacy.Obama called the confederate flag a symbol of hatred and compared its history to that of the third reich.

So as you can see it is not a ploy by the club to make you buy new coats and caps etc.

UNTRUE

Do be wary of mindlessly repeating racist alt-right conspiracy theory nonsense.

http://www.snopes.com/obama-bans-confederate-flag/

• Like 2

Pity the promotion capitulated to idiotic political correctness as to the rebels flag, the professional offendees will be the same lefty types that rejoice in the likes of St Patricks day etc but are quick to label St Georges day as racist. The promotion should have ignored these goons.

So should the fans and take loads of the flags to the next meeting.

Next they will be told they cannot wear a cap with a riders name on it.

• Like 1

So should the fans and take loads of the flags to the next meeting.

Next they will be told they cannot wear a cap with a riders name on it.

Well i do feel its all a little bit childish to me. Really Somerset need to do a sale of there recent logo on a flag. That would shut the doom mongers up.

Have now googled the Monmouth Rebellion, so fully understand why you guys in Somerset are rebels. A great piece of history and wonderful that the clubs name is based on a true event and is not just some fictitious name. Only natural then that the club adopted the Confederate flag as a symbol, very apt.

As for the Obama rubbish, well we now know that it is just a piece of hoax news, so as I see it, no need to ban the Confederate flag at all. As other posts have said, to hell with left wing PC idiots, the club should stand their ground and fly the flag with pride, for Somerset are truly Rebels.

• Like 2