British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2017

So you have to lose 8 points from your teams starting GSA , therefore to make a meaningful team change (say bring in a heat leader for a 2nd string) you need your combined team average to be around 38 points ! mmmmm we will see

Even the team that wins the league, their total team average will drop I'd imagine. Somerset won the league last year and whilst I can't remember the exact figure our team ended on about 47.50 or so.

The points limit previously has been 42.50 because that's the average figure every team should be on after 15 heats of speedway. All this about teams won't be able to make changes is nothing short of rubbish. It'll be no different to how it's always been as everyone will then achieve their correct figure and not an inflated one.

Graversen signing, is a strange one. Did not ride at all last season, and his record at Oak Tree is nothing to write home about. Any Rebels fans know why he was signed, Garry May is normally very astute when it comes to team selection.

Think you may have answered your own question "Garry May is normally very astute"

Edited by idh
  • Like 3

Graversen signing, is a strange one. Did not ride at all last season, and his record at Oak Tree is nothing to write home about. Any Rebels fans know why he was signed, Garry May is normally very astute when it comes to team selection.

Maybe was the best available on that average?

• Like 2

If you listen carefully, you might find the answer to that question here: https://youtu.be/tbol_PJLWD0?t=9m23s

Edited by womble53
  • Like 1

I see Sam Masters is now a Monarch's asset here. Was he ours before the move or had he long since departed? Seems to have got his mature head on since being sacked, thank goodness. Never destined to be a Rebel again though.

I believe he was still ours - Although happy to stand corrected on that.

• Like 2

I see Sam Masters is now a Monarch's asset here. Was he ours before the move or had he long since departed? Seems to have got his mature head on since being sacked, thank goodness. Never destined to be a Rebel again though.

never say that in the speedway world,you never know.for what it's worth I'd have him back if we had a gap in the team.

The club can't moan about not having first pick on riders for team building purposes and being made to wait for riders to be released by other clubs when they continue to sell assets. Masters alongside Charles Wright now sold this winter.

They will just have to accept not getting their first picks and being left with what's available.

The club can't moan about not having first pick on riders for team building purposes and being made to wait for riders to be released by other clubs when they continue to sell assets. Masters alongside Charles Wright now sold this winter.

They will just have to accept not getting their first picks and being left with what's available.

You'd might find Charles Wright was never an asset.

Just because they are an asset, doesn't mean anything when it comes to team building. Other than getting paid a loan fee (which isn't alot I'm told) then their isn't much of an advantage of having a long list of assets. Somerset have been shrewd in that we have priority for all of our riders this season when I believe only Jake Allen and Paul Starke are actually club assets.

• Like 2

Just because they are an asset, doesn't mean anything when it comes to team building. Other than getting paid a loan fee (which isn't alot I'm told) then their isn't much of an advantage of having a long list of assets. Somerset have been shrewd in that we have priority for all of our riders this season when I believe only Jake Allen and Paul Starke are actually club assets.

Disagree. Ask Matt Ford, it's no coincidence that the club with the largest asset base have dominated the EL in recent years is it ?

Club assets give you options and bargaining power. It's fine in the PL having limited assets as Somerset are a great club and pay riders on time, but the EL is a different ball game.

Clearly the final 1-7 this season is some way from the team the club wanted and Gary May admitted during an interview at the presentation evening, that they were limited as other clubs 'held onto assets'.

Disagree. Ask Matt Ford, it's no coincidence that the club with the largest asset base have dominated the EL in recent years is it ?

How many overseas club assets have we used in the last 5 years ?

How many overseas club assets have we used in the last 5 years ?

I don't know exactly but substantial club assets have used by Poole in the last 5 years whether overseas or not. Kasprazak, Bjarne, Holder, Watt, Kurtz, Madsen, Ward, Janoswki , Milik etc

• Like 1