British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2017

General opinion on here from existing old Elite teams is how crap we will be, and criticism from all corners about how Gary has made this mistake and that mistake with the team. Firstly thank you for the warm welcome to the top league😏. This reminds me very much like last season with the Somerset knockers having a field day when our septet was announced. For what it's worth I shall be happy with a mid table finish in 2017 , a season of consolidation. It took us 10 years of gradual growth to be become one of the top sides in the old Prem . As has been pointed out by the regular guys who see these riders week in week out, our lads are rather good round our place. Visiting riders will soon find out that getting to the first bend in the lead does not necessarily mean race over. It will be tough away I think, but all Speedway away fixtures are tough. I say welcome to Pat and Jan and all the new clubs that will be coming down to the OTA this year, win or lose you will know you have been in a match. Bring it on COYR.

• Like 4

Why do people take the cost of food and drink into consideration when mentioning attending sporting events? Take your own food and drink with you, or if travelling a fair distance buy a bag of chips before you go to the stadium.

• Like 4

General opinion on here from existing old Elite teams is how crap we will be, and criticism from all corners about how Gary has made this mistake and that mistake with the team. Firstly thank you for the warm welcome to the top league.

Hardly a general opinion, surely? Some informed and constructive criticism, some generally supportive observations...and, admittedly, the occasional usual suspects.

Hardly a general opinion, surely? Some informed and constructive criticism, some generally supportive observations...and, admittedly, the occasional usual suspects.

Exactly. It'd not a strong team, but can understand the logic in spending only what you can afford, showing loyalty to crowd favourites, and having a side who will be tough to beat at home (likely to be thumped away, but that shouldn't impact on gate sizes). I think Graversen is the only signing that has been generally labelled poor, mainly because most feel a young Brit plus a stronger hl would have been a stronger combination.
  • Like 2

Exactly. It'd not a strong team, but can understand the logic in spending only what you can afford, showing loyalty to crowd favourites, and having a side who will be tough to beat at home (likely to be thumped away, but that shouldn't impact on gate sizes). I think Graversen is the only signing that has been generally labelled poor, mainly because most feel a young Brit plus a stronger hl would have been a stronger combination.

What he said!

We have. Turned in to a BV fan now have you ? What has that to do with Somersets track.?

well documented that I consider Belle Vue my 2nd team due to having a few friends who are Aces fans get, going way back.

now , what's your opinion on Somerset or any track being better than the NSS??

I've tried in the past to have a reasoned discussion with you but seeing as you asked (Shov) the question I'm likewise asking for your opinion.

I'm not going to get into this comparing sides and "my team is better than yours" lark, but Allen and Tungate I think are fantastic signings again for Somerset. Allen was a revelation last season and has the potential to really kick on and could end the season with a 7+ average. Not saying that he will, but he could. I'm actually amazed he hasn't landed a spot in the lower league yet, unless it just hasn't been announced or because of visa related issues. Some comments made about Tungate not being a big heat winner when needed - he was however exactly that on many occasions for us. So many times he would fly out the start at home in the big races when he was needed and I can recall from the live updates him winning several big races away. I think once he's got the bit between his teeth he will come good for you.

Win, lose or draw when you have the best race track in the country like we do - we are going to be served up some cracking speedway. We have 6 out and out racers for around the OTA who won't ever disapoint in that respect.

Got a feeling Jake may be riding in Denmark too next year so the Premiership might be difficult to fit in with Somerset.I know he had already had offers from Denmark after his Aussie U21 WTC showings last year.

well documented that I consider Belle Vue my 2nd team due to having a few friends

now , what's your opinion on Somerset or any track being better than the NSS??

My opinion on Somersets track is that its very good. Thats all i'l say to you.. And you have friends. :rofl: Get on with ya..

• Like 1

That's fine, but why come out with all that other squit when others say it's Belle Vue? How about having an adult discussion instead and telling us WHY you think it's the Oak Tree Arena?

Personally I'd put Somerset third behind Belle Vue and Scunthorpe but it's all about opinions, and that doesn't mean that I don't think that Somerset is a fantastic race track because it is.

Why do people take the cost of food and drink into consideration when mentioning attending sporting events? Take your own food and drink with you, or if travelling a fair distance buy a bag of chips before you go to the stadium.

Exactly, it is not a Speedway cost as if they didn't go they would still have to eat, probably at home. When comparing with the likes of football costs, there doesn't appear to be a food element in their costs.

That's fine, but why come out with all that other squit when others say it's Belle Vue? How about having an adult discussion instead and telling us WHY you think it's the Oak Tree Arena?

Personally I'd put Somerset third behind Belle Vue and Scunthorpe but it's all about opinions, and that doesn't mean that I don't think that Somerset is a fantastic race track because it is.

The discusion was about the Somerset track, nothing more nothing less. So stop dangling the bait, it won't work. KKS. ;)

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

My opinion on Somersets track is that its very good. Thats all i'l say to you.. And you have friends. :rofl: Get on with ya..

We agree on sommat then. Somerset is a great track. It wasn't hard was it.

Decent people usually do have good friends, it's no surprise.

You might surprise me and tell me you have one but no one would believe ya. :rofl:

Exactly, it is not a Speedway cost as if they didn't go they would still have to eat, probably at home. When comparing with the likes of football costs, there doesn't appear to be a food element in their costs.

I was at the Emirates last week for the League Cup game against Southampton. At half time I popped down to the lower level to catch up with some friends. Couldn't believe how many people were queuing for food and drink at the overpriced outlets. When the teams came out for the second half there were still hundreds of people queuing. Some of them must've missed a good 10-15 minutes of the game. It's barmy!!

I don't think it's something that should just be dismissed though. I agree...people have the option to not buy. However...

Many Sporting events like football and cricket for example, ban you from bringing your own alcohol into the stadium. Even soft drinks have to have their screw caps taken off the bottle at some events.

I see many people arrive at the Speedway of an evening, who have come straight from work. They haven't had time to go home or stop for something to eat or drink.

A night at the speedway, is about having an enjoyable evening. It's nice to be able to afford to have a drink and a bite to eat, as well as watch the Speedway. Tbh...I'm always amazed at the queues for burgers and chips at Speedway...they seem endless.

I think most Speedway has kept the food and drinks cost down and are reasonable...apart from Swindon where the beer is extortionate.

A lot of football, Rugby and Cricket clubs offer a discount on food and drink if you are a season ticket holder.