British Speedway Forum

Somerset 2017

I think BWD could replace Graveson after 8 meetings when averages are recalculated

Thank god for you mate !!! Nice to see someone who can see beyond the end of their nose !!!

• Like 2

I think Somerset have put together a team that will entertain at home and won't burst the bank either,

I can see the logic of keeping 5 of this years team as they are all dialled into the Oak tree arena.

Sensible team building and I wish them all the luck in the world even though they are a loss to the championship.

• Like 5

Poole through and through.

I have paid compliments to the Rye House, Coventry (As of late) and the rumoured KL line-up on their respective threads.

This post was almost as funny as the Graversen announcement last night

Tungate as No.1 the same rider who Swindon fans wanted sacked half way through last season? Jan Graversen the less said the better.

FYI I think Tungate is a good rider who will get better but he isn't a No.1 imo.

Rohan improved a hell of a lot after the threat of him going, so I think everybody was glad he stayed.

I would not have objected to him staying as a Robin this year.

Rohan improved a hell of a lot after the threat of him going, so I think everybody was glad he stayed.

I would not have objected to him staying as a Robin this year.

He did, i totally agree. But he's not an out and out No 1. That said, im pleased that Garrys kept him on.

How many Speedway fans are still thinking 'Jan Graversen FFS'

Santa trolled the Oak Tree Arena with red herrings instead of the Christmas presents that were promised.

We won't be skint and out of work at the end of the season though !!!

Think someone needs to remember this is NOT the Elite League, it might still be the top tier, but it's a good step down from the EL.

just 0.19, pretty close

if we dig our heels in and ride on a Friday gp weeks, we won't have to worry about the GPs stars at the oak tree!!

Have a listen to Garry Mays interview on YouTube. Reveals that we tried for Kildermand but Poland stopped it and also Holder but other promoters stopped him talking to lower end riders about deals. Thats why he has put this team out so maybe instead of slagging Rebels off you'll appreciate May can only play with the cards dealt to him.

• Like 3

I think it's fair to say Somerset are testing the waters on their first season in the top tier, and quite simply, why not?! They've stuck to the majority of the title winning side from last year which is a rare occurance itself in Speedway to show such loyalty. It's a shame we haven't got a 'big' name at the top of the riding order as someone like Kildemand would of been great to watch at the Oak Tree but hey ho. People who never came to the Oak Tree last year probably won't appreciate just how good Tungate is here now. He is mighty quick and could probably beat just about anyone at any level around here.

All of these comparisons against Poole are abit unrealistic. I don't think anybody expected us to go up a league and walk that too. I'm excited about seeing some new teams, slightly different riders and a whole new challenge. We had won just about everything the old PL had to offer so time to take the plunge. I think we might get some trouncings away from home (I also made that prediction last year!) but will more than hold our own at home - which is what 95% of fans ask for. To be entertained and win your home meetings.

Jake Allen has the potential to kick on big styley so won't be at reserve for too long, so having Wright, Starke or Allen at reserve all season is far from being a bad thing.

hope your not forgetting josh who had a great season at home with real fast consistent times this year,think he may surprise a few gp riders next year at the OTA.
  • Like 1

Rye promotion taking a chance stepping up with the increased costs. Admission up a couple of quid, which helps, but I really think they're banking on returning fans disillusioned with some of the poor teams put out recently. I also reckon they'll be expecting a good few Lakeside fans to swell the numbers as well.

Sky exposure will help attract a few sponsors too. There are a couple of motorbike dealerships opening within the stadium. The rent they'll be paying will go into the kitty too I expect.

Somerset promotion, I suspect, are nowhere near as financially comfortable as Rye's, hence this line up.

It would be crazy to write them off though.

Edited by Shads

Rye promotion taking a chance stepping up with the increased costs. Admission up a couple of quid, which helps, but I really think they're banking on returning fans disillusioned with some of the poor teams put out recently. I also reckon they'll be expecting a good few Lakeside fans to swell the numbers as well.

Sky exposure will help attract a few sponsors too. There are a couple of motorbike dealerships opening within the stadium. The rent they'll be paying will go into the kitty too I expect.

Somerset promotion, I suspect, are nowhere near as financially comfortable as Rye's, hence this line up.

It would be crazy to write them off though.

Garry Mays not stupid, he knows what he's doing.

Good luck to the rebels in the top league, hope you do well , I didn't rate the team last year as you had a couple of rookies but the team was excellent and deserved to win the league, there were some cracking tussles with my team ( glasgow), you will be missed in the lower league

• Like 5

All this talk about Holder coming to us I really do think it was never on due to all the reasons given. The guy I think who would have revelled at our place would have been Chris Harris. A notoriously poor gater he would have loved the chase as would the supporters. Fairly local lad as well.

I'm ok with our team though and looking forward to this new challenge.

• Like 1