British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2017

As Rob says, 'The trick was to make sure riders were racing others of similar standard.'

Is that not the definition of what makes for the best speedway at any level?!

Oh that our promoters/powers that be would try harder to achieve this in all the leagues.

Monday night at Kent watching the very attractive USA four was spoilt for me by having three lads thrown in who before the meeting started anyone could have told you that they would be off the pace. They scored 9 between them....but 7 were gifted due to falls!

As Rob says, 'The trick was to make sure riders were racing others of similar standard.'

Is that not the definition of what makes for the best speedway at any level?!

Oh that our promoters/powers that be would try harder to achieve this in all the leagues.

Monday night at Kent watching the very attractive USA four was spoilt for me by having three lads thrown in who before the meeting started anyone could have told you that they would be off the pace. They scored 9 between them....but 7 were gifted due to falls!

It's the difference between planning and just hoping for the best.

Of course you can't just rely on absolute equality - otherwise you won't get surprises. Given your name I suspect you might remember the night Dave Morton, riding at number 7 for Hackney beat Ole Olsen at Waterden Road. The fact that I do might give a hint as to the reaction that night.

All sport needs the element of surprise.

I saw a very interesting example of rider grading at Scunthorpe on Sunday in an NJL match between Halifax (I think we started something back in 1999) and Berwick. Heats 1, 3 and 5 featured the same four riders, all on standard 500ccs with the even-numbered heats containing much younger riders on 250s. I understand it would normally have been 150s but those kids were riding abroad, yes riding ABROAD.

It was a good second half match, no endless falls and delays and a last heat decider for the younger riders.

To me you've got the team strengths right if a number seven can occasionally beat a number one, and not spend the meeting trailing round half a lap behind.

That's one fault of the Polish system. While you do get some really talented kids come through their reserve berths there's a heck of a lot of kids whose only competitive race is heat two. The 'sink or swim' approach must be soul-destroying for the majority and prematurely put paid to quite a few careers. Still, with the money in the sport there they'll always attract the cream of young motorcycle racers there into speedway who will just soar through it like Bartosz Zmarzlik.

I do get worried though here when I read of a rider like Parkinson-Blackburn averaging over 10 in the NL but can't make the leaep to the Championship.

Anyway, those concerns aren't for the Premiership Rockets.

Apologies for wittering on again - it's like writing for the programme again.......similar pay rates too.....

Edited by Rob McCaffery

Of course you can't just rely on absolute equality - otherwise you won't get surprises. Given your name I suspect you might remember the night Dave Morton, riding at number 7 for Hackney beat Ole Olsen at Waterden Road. The fact that I do might give a hint as to the reaction that night.

All sport needs the element of surprise.

Peter Karger (absolutely hopeless on a sub 1 point average) rounding Sam Masters on bend 2 and hanging on for the win was probably the highlight of last season for me

• Like 1

It seems like a lifetime ago shads. So much has changed rider wise at the launch pad. Unfortunately the 'stadium' hasn't changed at all.

Oh I don't know:

* the holes in the car park have got bigger

* the temporary stands have moved

* the bar got demolished

* the referee's box has moved and is no longer in line with the start

* there are some new temporary toilets

* the holes in the car park have got even bigger still

Oh I don't know:

* the holes in the car park have got bigger

* the temporary stands have moved

* the bar got demolished

* the referee's box has moved and is no longer in line with the start

* there are some new temporary toilets

* the holes in the car park have got even bigger still

I no longer sleep in the car park....(it was a long time ago and only occasionally, honest!)

I take it the box was moved when Len re-opened since it certainly wasn't in line in my day. In the 25 years when I was a regular visitor to the track I can't ever remember the car park being resurfaced - I suspect nothing's happened since, either.

A few other things have gone......Mole Tours.........Tommy Combat...................Tearing up the losing draw tickets and throwing them at Tracey......after-meeting discos in the top bar...... putting people in the stocks at a certain hotel in Exeter.....scandalous behaviour in the Golden Circle in Bathgate.....Bob Garrad.

Still Robo's back on the centre green ;-)

Sorry, this the 2017 not 1977 thread.

Edited by Rob McCaffery

Agreed Rob, I remember Davy M beating Ole, and when a youngster pops out and beats the top man of the opposition the crowd love it and always will. I also remember Steve Lomas beating World Champion Anders Michanek into fourth spot in the 1974? Champions Chase - happy days!!

More recently, ex-Kent favourite Danny Ayres riding at reserve for Leicester at Rye House earlier in the season and scoring a paid 13 that included wins over Robbo and Bomber plus the previously undefeated Ricky Wells after leading Scott Nicholls for 3 laps - the travelling Leicester fans really had something to cheer despite their side's 54-36 defeat. Danny, being the showman that he is - and how few of them there are now - of course loved all the attention! I remember Danny falling off three times IN ONE RACE early in his career at Central Park - for all we know that might turn out to be his best ever top flight score!

Kennett & Perks gone by the looks of it.

Not sure the new promotion have a massive knowledge of foreign riders, so sure it will be riders based over here.

Would like to see Linus Sundstrom come in if possible. Milik is a steal on his average.

If it's along the lines of Barker, Sedgman it's pointless.

Must be numbers with Perks as he's been excellent.

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1