British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2017

I think Rye have 3.05 left so they'll be wasting 1.05 if they sign a 2 pointer & could have had a 5.65 rider instead of Branford.

Well here's the list. Who around that average, and not signed already, would you have chosen?

http://www.speedwaygb.co/files/downloads/2017_team_building_numerical.pdf

Just got back from Rye, Alfie Bowtel & George Hunter both having a spin, hope the last rider is neither of them.

George is well thought of at Rye and is almost part of the family, but he's not even Championship ready, let alone Premiership. I doubt the promotion would carefully put together a good side then spoil it with a rookie. Bowtell is more likely, but I think we could do better. Edited by Shads

Seen a fair bit of Branford racing at the NSS in 2016, I was pretty impressed with what I saw. Think he's improving & surrounded by experienced heads in the Rye pits I'd expect him to kick on again.

Seen a fair bit of Branford racing at the NSS in 2016, I was pretty impressed with what I saw. Think he's improving & surrounded by experienced heads in the Rye pits I'd expect him to kick on again.

Rye fans love him because he's a trier. Never knows when he's beat and a real character. One we all wanted to see back.

• Like 1

Mellgren, Heeps or Matt Wethers rather than Branford at reserve?

Mellgren is a shell of the rider he used to be. Heeps is too inconsistent and Rob was better last season. Wethers has had his day.

Between Rob's 4.60 and 5.65 the only rider I'd have considered who isn't signed up elsewhere so far (or announced) is Alex Davies but he seems to be on a downward curve too after looking set to become a PL heatleader a few years back.

Branford is the rider the Rye fans wanted and he's the rider we've got. That means a lot to fans, especially those who have in the past seen Jason Doyle dropped to accommodate Steve Boxall amongst other things of a similar ilk.

Maybe Bowtell or Hunter might be announced as a number 8 who comes in occasionally for the number 7 rider?

Anyway the only other rider I see that they could have signed instead of Rob Branford would be Rob Mear... Anyway I think Branford is a good rider

Either that or I would have said NBJ instead of Robbo and had 6.22 at reserve instead

1. Edward Kennett 9.28

2. Davey Watt 7.56

3. Scott Nicholls 9.23

4. Nikolai Busk Jakobsen 6.50

5. Chris Harris 9.21

6. 6.22 (T. Kurtz, Allen, Rose, Jensen, Pijper, BWD)

7. 2.00-2.50ish (Someone :) )

Edited by Dandelion

RYE HOUSE PRESS RELEASE:

RIDER NO. 7: ELLIS PERKS UP ROCKETS!

Ellis Perks has been named as the final part of the Rye House 2017 jigsaw as the BMR Rockets get set to take their place in the Premiership for the first time.

If his surname sounds familiar, it should do. The teenager – he’ll be 20 at the start of the new season - is the son of former referee Robbie Perks, and the great nephew of former Cradley, Long Eaton and Oxford star Dave Perks. Born in Worcester, he now spends half the year on Australia’s Gold Coast after emigrating Down Under with his family in 2007.

A grasstracker at the age of 6, Ellis switched to the shale at the age of 10, and earned his first British League spot at the tail-end of 2014. Fourth in the following season’s British U-19 Championship, he has ridden at Championship level with Scunthorpe (2015) and Plymouth (2016), and helped Eastbourne win the National League Knock-Out Cup last term. Posting an all-inclusive 8.49 record for the Eagles, he was awarded the Sussex club’s Most Improved Rider of the Year award just over a month ago.

It goes without saying that Ellis is looking forward to hooking up with the Rockets in the top flight come the spring. “I am extremely happy to have received the call to ride for the BMR Rockets in the Premiership in 2017. I find it an honour to be part of all the exciting changes going on at Rye House, and to be amongst a team with a great deal of wisdom and experience, which will surely help me progress my Speedway career further. I am hoping to hold my own as a reserve in the Premiership, and also that we can make the Play-Offs as a Team.”

Rye House Co-Promoter Steve Jenson explains the backdrop to his selection for the No.7 position. “We spoke to a number of riders for the final spot in the side, and we were really impressed by Ellis’ attitude, the training and practice that he is putting in - and also his sheer tenacity.

“He kept pestering us for the spot, and that relentlessness and determination are good attributes to have.

“He’s currently riding extensively in Australia, and Davey Watt has already taken him under his wing. That can only be another big boost, even before he arrives to join the rest of the Team.

“There will be no pressure on him, either, because of the structure of the side. We just want him to enjoy his racing, and to learn.”

The full Rye House BMR Rockets Team for 2017 is:

Edward Kennett (captain), Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Davey Watt, Stuart Robson, Rob Branford and Ellis Perks.

Out of that list I would prefer

Zach,Ellis or Danyon in that order. If we went down the 2pt pointer route . Jack Parkinson Blackburn or Jack Smith seem to be the only 2 worth looking at.

Got my 2nd choice so looking forward to a good season, hope to get to some matches next year. Probably end up doing more away matches than home ones.

Fine with the last pick although the really important one was Branford at No6 imo.

With the race format the same as last years Premier League the No7s will probably be sacrificed in heats 2,4 and 11 so finished after three rides and the No6 will ride in heats 2, 7, 8, 12, and 14.

Heats 2 and 8 are the easiest and heats 12 and 14 are at the business end of the meeting.

Welcome Ellis, no pressure steady improvement is your only realistic target.

I have gotta say that if Eastbourne (my team) were in this league next year and had that team I would be very excited and I have been discussion with my lads going up to Rye House to support this team a few times this year.

Who knows if this is a championship winning side? The fact is, its a team of British riders and Davey Watt (whom I really like) and I could really get behind them. It would be gret for Rye House to go and win it this year like Eastie did in 2000 with a (nearly all) British team.

Good Luck for the season Rye House!!

• Like 3