British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2017

What did you think of Tom Bacon & Georgie Wood, Steve?

Tom definetly improved whilst Georgie was also impressive on the limited times I saw him.

Not sure either are good enough for a top flight number 7 spot tho but hope they get a PL spot. Both have certainly got better this year.

• Like 1

Not that much difference personally , Shanes is 2nd in average of those 4.

Having watched the Birmingham team all season at this stage I'd personally put Shanes at the top of those at this stage of their careers.

Zack was nowhere near as effective as 2015 whilst Shanes added nearly a point.

If I was to put them in order of who I'd want at my top flight club as a 2 pointer for potential I'd go with.

JPB

Jack Smith

Shanes

Hume

Zack

Much as I would love to see both JPB & JS riding down South I think that both would prefer a Northern Club due to where they both live.

I think JPB may do Sheffield (already signed) and maybe another season in NL to continue getting the confidence as he won't get so many points in Prem. I would love to be wrong but being realistic.

JS may be a similar story with his dad having BV in his blood. Just a question of which Northern Prem side he signs for and maybe a double up in NL again.

Shanes already snapped up by Poole today so maybe one of the other two??

If Rye get JPB or JS then in my opinion they would have done well.

Certainly the only 2pter I'd have wanted is Shanes (gone now) & JPB. Obviously I can't see Zach not being part of Somerset next year. So certainly for me it's between, Danyon, Ellis, JPB and Castagna (purely because it'd remind me of watching his dad when I was a mere kid!)

from personal experience watching Paco is very different to watching Armando.

Lovely lad just not a good enough speedway rider for a place in either British league.

• Like 1

No overseas rubbish thanks, Castagna, Holub, Stachyra? What's the point? They're pants and just taking a space we could use to develop one of our own riders.

Shanes at Poole has to be the yardstick. We need to be signing a rider as good or better than him as our number seven. For me that is a rider of a similar standard but one that can get out of the traps. If we can get a two pointer who can beat his opposite number in heat two and maybe pop out of the gate in another heat and nick a point then we'll have done a good job in recruiting our last rider. Any more is a bonus.

• Like 5

No overseas rubbish thanks, Castagna, Holub, Stachyra? What's the point? They're pants and just taking a space we could use to develop one of our own riders.

Shanes at Poole has to be the yardstick. We need to be signing a rider as good or better than him as our number seven. For me that is a rider of a similar standard but one that can get out of the traps. If we can get a two pointer who can beat his opposite number in heat two and maybe pop out of the gate in another heat and nick a point then we'll have done a good job in recruiting our last rider. Any more is a bonus.

Any youngster willing to progress should be begging for a place in the Rye House side with all that experience in the team to guide him

Edited by Shads
  • Like 9

I don't wish to pry into somebody else's team. But when I look at your top 5 it seems quite impressive. Id just be a bit disappointed with the signing of Branford. It seems your now going to have 2 weak reserves all season. Had you gone with a 2 point fodder and a 5.? Rider then suddenly you have at least 1 decent reserve pushing Robson . Would Lyke have fit the bill? I didn't see Branford ride much last season so maybe my view is outdated but I can't see many 3 point riders who would do much different to a 2 point novice that haven't already been written off on this page.

I don't wish to pry into somebody else's team. But when I look at your top 5 it seems quite impressive. Id just be a bit disappointed with the signing of Branford. It seems your now going to have 2 weak reserves all season. Had you gone with a 2 point fodder and a 5.? Rider then suddenly you have at least 1 decent reserve pushing Robson . Would Lyke have fit the bill? I didn't see Branford ride much last season so maybe my view is outdated but I can't see many 3 point riders who would do much different to a 2 point novice that haven't already been written off on this page.

Have you ever watched Branford live??

Branford has improved massively in the last two seasons in my opinion. He averaged over six in his meetings for the Rockets last season, his average is only 4.60 because of his carried over scores from 2015 at Edinburgh not being knocked off by his guest appearances before he signed on as a full time Rocket this year.

I fully agree with the second part of your post about there not being any three pointers around that will do much better than a two pointer, however retaining Branford has been received well pretty much universally by Rye fans, and rightly so in my opinion. In the second tier he is on a bargain average, while in the top league he is on an average he should hopefully be able to retain, which should be seen as a success given the high points limit that has been put into place.

• Like 2

Branford has improved massively in the last two seasons in my opinion. He averaged over six in his meetings for the Rockets last season, his average is only 4.60 because of his carried over scores from 2015 at Edinburgh not being knocked off by his guest appearances before he signed on as a full time Rocket this year.

I fully agree with the second part of your post about there not being any three pointers around that will do much better than a two pointer, however retaining Branford has been received well pretty much universally by Rye fans, and rightly so in my opinion. In the second tier he is on a bargain average, while in the top league he is on an average he should hopefully be able to retain, which should be seen as a success given the high points limit that has been put into place.

I see Branford a few times at Lakeside, guesting against us, and he was good. The guy has got some serious potential. Let's hope he kicks on this season

• Like 1

Yes but I don't think I see him last season live. I may be wrong though. I only got to the Lynn home meetings and 2 away. When I have seen him live it's been mainly guesting the odd time in the el. Or guesting on the tv. maybe I've just not seen him at his best yet. I guess come march and April we will see. Was he your first choice with the points that were left? Do you think he will achieve a 5 point average in this league. At least it's a British registered rider being given a chance. For that I wish him well.