British Speedway Forum

Rye House 2017

As I've said before it looks like a Coventry team from a few years ago - certainly gone for experience over youth and in this league that won't be a problem and looks like RH have set the benchmark for other teams. As long as they have one strong reserve, rather than 2 average ones, they should finish in the playoffs.

Well done RH

• Like 2

Harris is 9.22, Averages are rounded up after conversion

Only is the third decimal place is 5 or above surely? Otherwise it would be mathematically incorrect.

In my book Harris is 9.21, but you never know.

• Like 1

What started as a good first 3 signings has gone wrong with Kennett and Robbo.

I wouldn't say that. It will be one of the strongest top fives once all are announced I'd imagine still, it'll do the business at home and shouldn't be embarrassed away either. Reserves are key though.

Only is the third decimal place is 5 or above surely? Otherwise it would be mathematically incorrect.

In my book Harris is 9.21, but you never know.

All averages are rounded up.

klindt or manzares and a 2 pointer fits.

Probably Brandford plus 1 though....

Branford was averaging six plus in the PL last year, no issues with him signing but whoever is his partner would be very weak as his 4.6 average is awkward to accommodate and sign a three pointer who would actually be worth that figure.

If Klindt hasn't fallen out with the promotion after last winter I'd go with him, Manzares is no better than Branford.

Edited by Ben91

If you remove sentiment from it Kennet as an addition makes little sense, he is their worst heat leader on the highest average.

He's very good round Rye, it makes perfect sense, He does reasonably well around most of the former EL tracks too and he's a Rye House asset.

• Like 1

Why?

Because Robbo is not the same standard *or within a point of) as Watt, Schlein, Bjerre (x2), Kurtz etc. And no way is Kennett going to get 9.3. I just see that pair losing 5 points. Which I guess could still mean the team averaging 45 and that would be a good season. I'm probably being critical as once teams are complete they're probably all going to have a rider or two with a duff average in them. It's just their first three signing were spot on and thinking about it now, that should be good enough. Short of someone signing Bjerre (x2), Schlein, Klindt and Kurtz I can't see how they're going to better it!

I can understand the negativity. When Rye signed Nicholls & Harris, it seemed to be OK, but then Watt & Robson followed. I love watching Robson, great racer but is there any scope for improvement? Nicholls & Harris may improve a bit having a home track that suits them better. And they will make you competitive at least. I don't see many heat wins coming from that team at crucial times.

Can see this team doing OK until heat 13, then the 13-5 bomb drops. Can you win a meeting before heat 13. Yes you can. That seems to be the challenge.

Heat 13 and 15 are just 2 heats. Teams won't field GP stars in the main so they won't be as strong in those heats as well. Holder gone and probably Iversen too.

If you remove sentiment from it Kennet as an addition makes little sense, he is their worst heat leader on the highest average.

Hi Tyrion

Yes but surely its about strength in depth ??

Kennett is good around Rye House which in itself is worth addl points imo. Not many will master Rye as it was always a tricky track so again he may be worth more than on the face of it. Many riders will not even have ridden it before.

I think they may well be very strong at home and with the est riders such as SN/CH/DW and EK scoring solidly away even if not spectacular, I can see them picking up bonus points away which is important to keep in the top 4.

I think British riders with proven track records of points scored, plus you know you will get triers is important and doesn't imo break the Bank. We know also Robson can score points at Rye. Not so bad away either against lower order. I even saw him score 12 points guesting for Swindon at Lakeside last season Ok from 7 rides but first was a zero but after that he was most impressive visitor on show outside of Doyle.

I think its an interesting side and I am sure the reserves will all be scoring off each other just as it will be with all/most Prem sides next year as many end up with low av guys just to squeeze in teams.

Also full marks to Rye for giving the paying public some team announcements so early which has also kept the forum alive with opinion.

• Like 3

Hi Tyrion

Yes but surely its about strength in depth ??

Kennett is good around Rye House which in itself is worth addl points imo. Not many will master Rye as it was always a tricky track so again he may be worth more than on the face of it. Many riders will not even have ridden it before.

I don’t think the rule about it being about strength in depth necessarily rings true – if you build a power packed top end you can go quite far (this side is not that) and if it is about strength in depth you need, well….strength in depth…which this side does not have.

I would also question how many riders in next seasons league won’t have raced at Rye – possibly Lindgren, Thorssell at best, the riders who likely haven’t won’t fall into the same traps re the more than rideable and raceable Rye track that riders of lesser talent tend to fall into in the PL.

Edited by Tyrion

First season of top flight racing and a promotion relatively new to speedway. They should be applauded for taking the risk financially.

Going for experience in your first season is key in my opinion. The top five will know all of the tracks (bar Somerset and perhaps Belle Vue if you want to be picky) very well.

Rather surprised the ambitious Glasgow backers weren't interested in stepping up, but I s'pose they're content being a big fish in a small pond. Now Somerset are out of the way, they have one less "big fish" to worry about.

There weren't many Rye fans I know who were overly keen on the step up to the top division, but with the new dumbed down Premiership it's a relatively small step. You never know unless you try.

• Like 3

Rather surprised the ambitious Glasgow backers weren't interested in stepping up, but I s'pose they're content being a big fish in a small pond. Now Somerset are out of the way, they have one less "big fish" to worry about.

I would imagine the local derby with Belle Vue at 219.2 miles away rather unappealing.

• Like 1

I would imagine the local derby with Belle Vue at 219.2 miles away rather unappealing.

What happens if they're in the promotion/relegation play off at the end of the season, lose on purpose?

Edited by Shads