British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2017

Other than Poole or Kings Lynn, most clubs with the odd exception would be an old school Premier League challenge.

Would have been better than just having the press and practice on the 25th

How many races were won from the gate or from exit of bend 2? I take it possibly about 14!!!!!!!

All the excitement was for lower placings.

And your point is ?

• Like 1

Most of the talk on most topics is about how we can get new fans & old fans returning & posters want entertainment on the track. I don't doubt what your owners/promoters are doing off track as, from what has been said over the last 2 years, you have improved your facilities & off track entertainment 100%. The racing needs improving by giving a track that can raced & ridden on with passing opportunities.

On Sunday, it seemed most of the wins were from the Glasgow trio, Wells, Bomber & TJ. That's 6 of 16 riders from, probably, not a quality field, but if that's what you want to see, so be it.

I ventured out a few times from my home track to Sheffield & Kings Lynn, & what I saw there was not what I like to see, "Gate & Go". If you like to see that or 71-19 thrashings(we were very poor that said night), then that is your "cup of tea". It is not mine. Give me a 48-42 last heat decider any day of the week.

• Like 1

Most of the talk on most topics is about how we can get new fans & old fans returning & posters want entertainment on the track. I don't doubt what your owners/promoters are doing off track as, from what has been said over the last 2 years, you have improved your facilities & off track entertainment 100%. The racing needs improving by giving a track that can raced & ridden on with passing opportunities.

On Sunday, it seemed most of the wins were from the Glasgow trio, Wells, Bomber & TJ. That's 6 of 16 riders from, probably, not a quality field, but if that's what you want to see, so be it.

I ventured out a few times from my home track to Sheffield & Kings Lynn, & what I saw there was not what I like to see, "Gate & Go". If you like to see that or 71-19 thrashings(we were very poor that said night), then that is your "cup of tea". It is not mine. Give me a 48-42 last heat decider any day of the week.

The track was prepared for what it was a wet day and well packed down the racing last season at Glasgow was as good if not better than anything else i saw on my travels , But you can only prepare a track with what the weather allows simple logic really.

Now we all know that Scunthorpe is the best allegedly (so we keep being told) but for you to come on and criticise another teams track is showing little class on your part and to be honest is showing you up as a bit off a snob our tracks better than your track philosophy.

If Scunthorpe send a full team up on the 1st there will be racing. The Ben fund was the first on a completely relaid and improved circuit, and the riders were less aggresive in the main due to it being a charity meeting.

They sent a full team up last year and we hit over 70 so we shall wait and see.

It's the beginning of the season and the track had taken a bit of rain . The Benfund is never a classic , I was at Scunthorpe when they held it , and although Scunthorpe is a brilliant track , that year's Benfund was very average . The tracks will improve once we get a wee bit of heat in the air .

• Like 1

For the rain that hit I thought the meeting was run smoothly after all the riders got their tapes touching out the way and that considering the weather it was an OK meeting, I've been to Ashfield as a Berwick fan well over 20 times and it's brilliant to see the improvements to what was a bit of a hole a few years ago, only problem on Sunday was that it was extremely packed in the stands in between bend 4 and the starting gate which in a way is a good thing and refreshing to see.
  • Like 1

The racing needs improving by giving a track that can raced & ridden on with passing opportunities.

Two genuine questions ....

1. In your opinion, what was wrong with the track on Sunday?

2. What would you do to improve it?

The Ben Fund in 2011 at Scunny wasn't average, it was bloody awful. By all accounts the event is rarely thrilling racing, mainly because it is the first meeting for those riders taking part and tracks are difficult to prepare in early March.

If you are going to judge tracks its probably best to do it later in the season. And not based on a meeting where your own team have been clattered.

• Like 1

I don't doubt what your owners/promoters are doing off track as, from what has been said over the last 2 years, you have improved your facilities & off track entertainment 100%. The racing needs improving by giving a track that can raced & ridden on with passing opportunities.

Appears you aren't aware that the Ashfield track was dug up during the close season and completely re-laid from the base up, all the shale replaced, reportedly with the aim of providing a racing track that encourages passing.

As it was the Ashfield track in 2016 provided far more passing than I've ever seen at the EWR. If you don't believe me check out the sample vids on Glasgow's website, you will soon lose count of the number of close races and breathtaking passes.

You mention gate and go, any time I've been at the EWR (7 or 8 times last few years) its all been gate and go with no passing at all, the saying about stones and glass houses springs to mind.

• Like 2

the racing at Ashfield improved greatly in 2016. i am sure the owners realise that the spectacle of racing alone is not enough to bring people back every week. The Ben Fund Meeting, if it had been a "normal" individual meeting at "normal" prices would not have left me feeling short changed. Not a classic but very enjoyable and encouraging signs regarding the track which held up well considering the weather. Glad all those who travelled got to see some action. if we could just get an inside line developed it would make a huge difference.

Edited by highroad119

the racing at Ashfield improved greatly in 2016. i am sure the owners realise that the spectacle of racing alone is not enough to bring people back every week. The Ben Fund Meeting, if it had been a "normal" individual meeting at "normal" prices would not have left me feeling short changed. Not a classic but very enjoyable and encouraging signs regarding the track which held up well considering the weather. Glad all those who travelled got to see some action. if we could just get an inside line developed it would make a huge difference.

That's the only negative issue with the track , the inside gate is still a bit of a coffin box gate . Hopefully once the track beds in with better weather that remedies itself .

• Like 2

Following on from my two questions above to IronScorpion.

He's maybe not had a chance to see them or answer yet.

If I can now jump the gun ....

I walk across the track at the second bend, and attended most meetings last year.

I'm no track expert and don't claim to be.

I can honestly say that Sunday's surface was unrecognisable to anything I saw last year - and I didn't see much obviously wrong then.

The surface looked very smooth, the shale texture finer and the depth looked consistent from outside to in.

For a newly laid track I thought it held up well and much less dirt moved to the outside than normal.

Also worth remembering there were 25 heats run (includes 4 junior races).

If the track wasn't perfect for some, it wasn't for the want of trying - a great deal of work went into it including Doc Bridgett assisting.

That's the important thing for me - the will, financial investment and people trying to give an entertaining stage for the riders/fans.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 5