British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2017

Basic costs, stadium rent , emergency cover etc, the rest goes to the Ben Fund, and so it should

We were discussing the PLRC and the capacity in that Sheffield has higher capacity i mentioned the Ashfield capacity was being increased and the back straight raised area should be in for the Ben Fund on Sunday.

This is where you may have picked it up wrong simple mistake to make.

Edited by Gazc

No big deal think we all got were you are coming from.

The interesting thing on the capacity of a ground, is, you have to fill that capacity, and that is certainly hard to do in speedway nowadays. It does appear that the fan base is very much an ageing one with little interest from the younger generation. Berwick has more than adequate capacity, but seriously struggles to take up that capacity. In Glasgows case I di wonder if changing to a Saturday was a wise decision, but only time will tell

• Like 1

The interesting thing on the capacity of a ground, is, you have to fill that capacity, and that is certainly hard to do in speedway nowadays. It does appear that the fan base is very much an ageing one with little interest from the younger generation. Berwick has more than adequate capacity, but seriously struggles to take up that capacity. In Glasgows case I di wonder if changing to a Saturday was a wise decision, but only time will tell

Disagree on the younger generation the initiatives that Glasgow have put on to attract kids has certainly paid dividends with a significant increase in kids attending . Now i would say that some are not interested in the Speedway and it is the activities that interest them as they are too young to know what is happening but you have to start somewhere.

On the subject off Saturday it will suit some and not others but it is a gamble worth taking, also taking into account that the crowds at Glasgow are probably one off the highest if not the highest in the league it is a solid foundation to grow this further.

• Like 1

Disagree on the younger generation the initiatives that Glasgow have put on to attract kids has certainly paid dividends with a significant increase in kids attending . Now i would say that some are not interested in the Speedway and it is the activities that interest them as they are too young to know what is happening but you have to start somewhere.

On the subject off Saturday it will suit some and not others but it is a gamble worth taking, also taking into account that the crowds at Glasgow are probably one off the highest if not the highest in the league it is a solid foundation to grow this further.

The incentives for kids in many speedway tracks is to be commended, Glasgow have done a good a job, as Berwick has as well. It is notable that at Berwick the amount of kids getting in for free, in the hope that they will be the next generation attending speedway meetings. However, there is little evidence that these young fans remain when they get older and become paying fans, the trick is to hold their interest, again only time will tell.

I would imagine that Ashfield is part of The Faccennas property port-folio, and they rent it to Glasgow Tigers, who in this case is themselves. That makes good in sense in tax terms.

they're not going to suddenly turn round and build houses on it are they

Did the land around the stadium not have outline planning permission for housing, and the problems for the stadium would have been the close proximity to housing and the associated noise.

Someone with more knowledge than myself on this subject might know the right facts,but I was told a few years ago that the land in question had some type of soil contamination from previous industrial use that would have to be rectified before housing could be considered.Anyway does it really matter because the Tigers supporters have now got a cracking facility for speedway.
  • Like 1