British Speedway Forum

Glasgow 2017

Won't argue with that. The amount of track grading when I was there was ridiculous.

It certainly was but this will be addressed this season as it had been noted the amount off people complaining and with night racing the track should hold the moisture longer.

• Like 1

Glasgow look like relying heavily on one rider. But it might be enough. As for the other 6, you might see a little improvement in them as the points limit has dropped a little but it won't be much. The top 3 have all found heir level, as has Perry. Personally never been that impressed by Lunna. But Bewley is a smashing signing.

It's Sheffield and Ipswich for me. Sheffield have gone safer but Ipswich could pull it off if a couple of the riskier signings pay off.

I don't think Workington look bad, Berwick look solid and Redcar are ok. Peterborough will be good at home. Scunthorpe look naff.

TBH I'm not sure there's a lot in it, most teams look pretty good. Possibly the closest the league has been for a long time.

Seems like an incredibly skewed view to me. And a far far FAR too dismissive assessment.

Relying heavily on one rider? Utter nonsense!!

Glasgow look like a well balanced team to me.

"Never been impressed by Lunna" - you've obviously never seen him when he's absolutely flying and on song - goes past opposition riders as if they aren't there. The thing about Lunna is he's young. And in 2016 he suffered two injuries which stinted his progress - including riding for several meetings with a broken hand. And also riding on equipment that was due for renewal. When he recovered from his injuries and got some of his equipment replaced in the latter stages of 2016 he was a different rider and well capable of overtaking opposition heat leaders. He's reportedly got all-new bikes/engines for 2017. Still only a young rider, he has huge potential to improve.

Perry is also still a young guy with potential to improve.

Bewley. Probably as good a rising star as any in this league.

Jack Smith. If pedigree counts for anything, again loads of potential to improve.

That's the so called "bottom 4" and many teams would swop theirs for Glasgow's.

The top 3 are solid. A good team, a winning team, needs the right balance between experience and youth and I think Glasgow have that - in abundance!!!!

I also don't agree that "the top 3 have found their level" - they said similarly about Crabtree at end of the 1993 season going into the 1994 season. By end of 1993 season Crabtree had an average of just over 8 and getting closer to retirement than most. In 1994 season he achieved a near 10 point average!!! Ok so Edinburgh accused Crabtree of having "the fastest bike in the second division" (a certain M.Hunter) and not only did Crabtree make an incredible leap in his average in the latter stages of his career, so too did David Walsh who leapt from about 7.60 in 1993 to about 9.40 in 1994. Ok, so not necessarily that kind of leap in averages, but I think there's more to come from at least one of Glasgow's top 3.

Much will, of course, depend upon injuries - but then that applies to every team.

Seems to me that Glasgow have as good a team as any.

Edited by justere2cgoodspeedway
  • Like 6

I wouldn't worry too much about some of the comments on here . There are always fans who think they know better picking holes in other club's sides . Regarding Glasgow , the only opinions that matter are the Tiger's fans and the promotion and owners , and we're all perfectly happy and excited about the 2017 season .

• Like 7

Many of the non-Glasgow supporter comments on here are related to the potential success of the team in winning trophies.

Well, as someone who'll be paying to see them week in week out, I'm a happy bunny with our septet.

We potentially have a team which will entertain us, with the added interest of potentially watching some youngsters improve their riding skills.

I go week in, week out to be entertained - not to watch in hope that by the end of the season we'll have some silverware.

Edited by george.m
  • Like 9

Well, as someone who'll be paying to see them week in week out, I'm a happy bunny with our septet.

We potentially have a team which will entertain us, with the added interest of potentially watching some youngsters improve their riding skills.

I go week in, week out to be entertained - not to watch in hope that by the end of the season we'll have some silverware.

Quite an unusual Tigersfan then George as your pals there seem hellbent on success but good on you for saying it.

Many of the non-Glasgow supporter comments on here are related to the potential success of the team in winning trophies.

Think most off us are the same George trophy's are nice but entertainment is what you pay for, only exception to this is i would rather watch gate & go 5 -1 after 5 - 1 and hand out a right royal pumping to a team 30 miles to the East .

• Like 4

Think most off us are the same George trophy's are nice but entertainment is what you pay for, only exception to this is i would rather watch gate & go 5 -1 after 5 - 1 and hand out a right royal pumping to a team 30 miles to the East .

28.7 miles Gazc. Get it right up them.

Winning local derbies by a cricket score is good for bragging rites but poor for entertainment value IMO

Glasgow look like relying heavily on one rider. But it might be enough. As for the other 6, you might see a little improvement in them as the points limit has dropped a little but it won't be much. The top 3 have all found heir level, as has Perry. Personally never been that impressed by Lunna. But Bewley is a smashing signing.

It's Sheffield and Ipswich for me. Sheffield have gone safer but Ipswich could pull it off if a couple of the riskier signings pay off.

I don't think Workington look bad, Berwick look solid and Redcar are ok. Peterborough will be good at home. Scunthorpe look naff.

TBH I'm not sure there's a lot in it, most teams look pretty good. Possibly the closest the league has been for a long time.

I think you're right.

If Bewley got injured in the first week of the season, pretty much the best rider they can replace him with is................Danny Ayres.

Put Ayres in the 7 instead of Bewley and suddenly that team looks nowhere near as good.

I think there is a case for some improvement from all the bottom four, Smith in particular.

Without a doubt, though, by far and away the most important rider is Bewley.

• Like 1

That doesn't apply to Scottish derbies :lol:

But what about if the situation is reversed and you get a right good pumping from the west but before you jump down my throat for even suggesting this , remember that I am a neutral on this subject in fact I have relatives and connections in the Glasgow area.

Weegies were getting humped by us for years.

It got boring.

Not always :drink:

But what about if the situation is reversed and you get a right good pumping from the west but before you jump down my throat for even suggesting this , remember that I am a neutral on this subject in fact I have relatives and connections in the Glasgow area.

I get what you're saying , but nothing gets the crowd going more than a 5-1 over the Monarchs , regardless how that is achieved

Not always :drink:

I get what you're saying , but nothing gets the crowd going more than a 5-1 over the Monarchs , regardless how that is achieved

I know the feeling Panthers used to get a right old mauling from Boston when they were are force in the 70's home and away. I worked for a large engineering firm in Peterborough then and there were as many employed who supported Boston as there were from Peterborough , I used to hate going to work the next day after another drubbing.

I think you're right.

If Bewley got injured in the first week of the season, pretty much the best rider they can replace him with is................Danny Ayres.

Put Ayres in the 7 instead of Bewley and suddenly that team looks nowhere near as good.

I think there is a case for some improvement from all the bottom four, Smith in particular.

Without a doubt, though, by far and away the most important rider is Bewley.

That's just nonsense and plain wrong. Quality right through the 2017 Glasgow team.

There are many teams that would swop their top 3 for Glasgow's. And many that would swop their bottom 4 for Glasgow's. That all adds up to one of the best balanced and strongest teams in this league. To say reliant on only one rider is nonsense - how many buckets of alcohol are you on. :o

• Like 1

I dare say it's all about opinions but Glasgow in my opinion will be right up there in 2017, to say that if Bewley got injured then Ayres is about the best to replace him, I think RR would give Luna, Perry and Smith extra races, don't see a problem with that, I love all the posts about an unbalanced side, lol, keep them coming!

• Like 1

I dare say it's all about opinions but Glasgow in my opinion will be right up there in 2017, to say that if Bewley got injured then Ayres is about the best to replace him, I think RR would give Luna, Perry and Smith extra races, don't see a problem with that, I love all the posts about an unbalanced side, lol, keep them coming!

I'd argue that if Bewley does get injured and that Perry and Smith both stay below Bewleys 3.90 start figure then Glasgow are stuffed. Obviously if one of them goes above 3.9 then Bewley drops to reserve and has to be replaced by 3.9 guests.

Quite how anyone can think a team that uses 13 points on 4 riders allows balance I don't know! Argue that top heavy is the way to go by all means but 13 points on your bottom 4 and 27 on your top 3 is not balanced. Most teams use just over half their points on a top 3 and just under half on their bottom 4. That equates to about 22/18 and not 27/13!

Edited by SCB