British Speedway Forum

Dave Lanning Rip

I am so terribly saddened by this news. I cut my speedway teeth at Exeter after seeing speedway on World of Sport in the early 70's, with the "Voice of Speedway" providing commentary in his own never equalled, never mind bettered, style.

I can still hear his voice now, beautifully toned for the job at hand, coining such fabulous phrases as "That was poetry, poetry on wheels", "High, wide & handsome" & "He's right out on the ring road". His brilliant observations during the likes of PC's world final win, the infamous Penhall/Carter clash in 82, Mauger's incredible win in the rain in Gothenburg & many others, where he held the viewer enthralled with his very own brand of analysis, his unique & brilliant turn of phrase, & that fabulous burr, so perfect for our beloved sport, all of which set him apart as the doyen of his art & very much "Mr Speedway" in the commentary sense. On top of that, having met him more than once, a real gent & a lovely, lovely man. He will be missed. The phrase "they broke the mould when they made him" is often used, but with this man it happens to be true. One of a kind. RIP Dave.

• Like 4

"We can put a man on the moon, but can't get a helmet cover to stay on"

Or words to that effect...

Priceless, best speedway commentator, bar none at speedway and darts..... Was speaking about him only this morning on the way to Beaumont Park to take down the airfence......

RIP Dave Lanning, best wishes to his family and friends..

Terrific commentator, so many of my early experiences and memories of speedway on TV were brilliantly described by Dave.

Of Ivan Mauger (1973 World Final): "Here comes Mauger around the outside, come on Ivan my son!"

Of Peter Collins (several times): "And Collins goes high, wide and handsome".

And so many more.

RIP....

Dave used to write some excellent articles in the Speedway Star too. He had 'laugh with Lanning' (I think was it) and was a very talented and witty contributor. I always used to love how he penned his articles. He had a certain charisma to his writing about speedway riders and knew the sport thoroughly. Very well respected man and a close fan of the Pirates. Thanks Dave.

He had his own column in Speedy Star for many years with a style all of his own ' Belle Vue's Mort who is rarely outfought' was one that I remember from the 80's.

He was also a successful speedway promoter at West Ham and Eastbourne, and at the time can only have been in his 20's or early 30's.

I am not as much of a knocker of Messrs Pearson & Tatum as some, but they aren't a patch on this chap.

Fitting tribute from Barry Hearn that applies just as much to speedway :

'Dave was one of the pioneers of televised darts and his dulcet tones entertained us for over 30 years. He gave us so many great memories with eloquence and style behind the microphone. He is now reunited with his old sparring partner Sid Waddell, and they can share a drink together again tonight.'

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3

Boxing - Harry Carpenter

Horse Racing - Peter O'Sullivan

Cricket - Brian Johnston

Formula One - Murray Walker

Speedway? - Well, who else?

• Like 4