British Speedway Forum

Ipswich 2017

Just out of interest. What do people think of the track changes so far? Has it made any difference to the racing?

Problem is you need two teams to make a meeting, of the meetings I've seen this season only Glasgow have been competitive. Reading the various comments from other meetings around the Country, most fans are watching crap most weeks, Sheffield and Kings Lynn fans being the biggest moaners. But there is more than one line, if you miss the gate you'll get past if you're good enough, and that's the way it should be. At least we've got a promoter that tries to improve things for the paying customer, not many of those about, is there?

• Like 1

So far there has only been a handfull of times where a rider has really used the extra space on the inside for a bold attempt to pass which has surprised me.

Perhaps its because the rider in front has been canny enough to cover enough of the gap.

The outside blast has been a little more productive. IMO there does seem to be a better chance there with the more consistent camber and also the extra clay content in the surface.

So for me some improvement even if not dramatic.

Edited by dontforgetthefueltapsbruv

Fair point although the 2nd tier isnt specifically labelled as a development league.

My comment was very much about a wider debate than just this situatìon. Much more about the rationale of the system.

Certainly wasn't knocking your post, simply pointing out what the view of the VP of the BSPA was last season - a view that apparently counts for sod all now.

What's worse is that this is the second time this season Isle of Wight have had the crap end of a broken precedent, the appalling Harland Cook average decision being the first.

It would be bad for any club but given that I rate their promotion as by far the best in the country it is all the more insulting.

Another speedway inconsistency. Who'd have thought it eh?! And it often seems to be the NL side that gets forced into something. Yes it is the bottom tier and the upper leagues should get precedence, but there's still a line and there's still an integrity of the sport that needs to be maintained in the third tier to keep customers happy and coming through the doors.

Worse than that because its breaking a precedent. You either have that rule or you don't and the fact that the NL is involved is absolutely irrelevant.

I like what I saw of Nathan Greaves last night, it won't be his toughest test this season but at least he looks like a racer and was trying lots of different lines. He was in the mix in all of his races and made a couple of passes. In heat 15 he gave MPT a scare in bends 1 and 2. Well Done Nathan on a good debut and welcome to the Witches.

• Like 2

My biggest concern at the moment with the team is the lack of confidence that young Connor Mountain has. He's definitely a talented lad but just can't get in right so far this year.

As I said on the Scunthorpe meeting thread it seems to be a mindset thing, he's shutting off halfway down the straights and there's no attacking the bends at all, if anything he seems to be straightening up as he goes in.

Somehow somebody has got to find a way to get him back to rider he was last season before his injury.

Lets hope a solution can be found asap as assuming we get in the playoffs we can't have a non or very low scoring reserve being carried.

Well all of our current side now ride for two different clubs as Cam has now signed for Somerset. At least we get priority over 5 of them, only Kyle & Nathan we will lose to clashes.

I gather Rohan will be looking for a championship place now he has been dropped. At least we can't fit him in, which is a good thing.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well Well Well where should the witches go from here. It seems that the fans that made the journey to Workington were not impressed with the lack of effort put in by some of the riders. Having not made the journey myself I am not able to make comment about the lack of effort but I am concerned with the lack of points scored hopefully all of the middle order riders had an off day and normal service will resume on Thursday. It needs to if we are going to continue to struggle away from home.

It doesn't really matter what the fans want, they just have to choose to attend or not. 99 percent of fans only watch at home as well, so keep winning at home will please the majority. I was there Saturday and was appalled by the lack of effort from some..but for fans that didn't see it will only see a low score. Also where I would go from here will be different to most other fans, and definitely different to those in charge.

You posed the question.so what do you think?

Edited by baldyman

Well Baldyman. I've never made comment on the make up of the side and I've always tried to be positive about all things Witches but my honest opinion is that we are to top heavy which has left us very weak at reserve. Both Danyon and now Nathan seem to be competitive and would have been successful signings. I think that our weakness at reserve was very clear when we brought in Justin and I believe that we should have changed the balance of the team then by bringing in 2 x 5 pointers in place of Nico and Connor who is really struggling.

Changes could only be like for like now anyway as the team total is above 40.

A double chain would mean shedding nearly 2 points

How about -

Sedgemen - 7.60

Newman - 6.31 out

Scott Nicholls - 9.23

Emil grondal- 4.39

We'd have 3 proper heat leaders then and in Cameron a very capable no.4! Grondal will score 3/4/5 like Newman has been but scott will way outscore sedge home and away! 3 riders fighting for the no.1 jacket by the end of the season too!

If Scott has too many continental commitments then maybe kennett? Not as favourable choice for me but he does ride Ipswich well!

I may be being a little harsh wanting to drop these guys but the way I see it is every year we keep faith with riders and the teams that make the tough calls win silverware!

Edited by 89buttons