British Speedway Forum

Leicester Lions 2017

Kye 1- Leicester city council know very well that they have made an error in not putting the stipulation and conditions that Beaumont sports were responsible to build all of the sports complex.

All that Beaumont sports are legally responsible for is the stadium and the even the council have not kept their part of the pavilion development. On the original plans the council were going to have lease on a room in the pavilion to use for the local community events like parent and toddler sessions and residents meetings yet now they will not commit to this.

I am sure that Mr Hemsley will see common sense and offer favourable conditions to new Speedway tenants as if it's empty he is not making any money and has invested a lot of his own money into the stadium and paying off the loans that he took out.

If one of Lenny Lion's recent posts is anything to go by (long list of conditions, top league only, weekend racing only) your confidence in DH seems questionable. As for putting in his own money, theres no doubt that he's put in a lot of his time, but other information suggests that he's raised money in various ways rather than from his own pocket.

• Like 1

Flagrag. Your faith in DH displaying some common sense is laudable but goes against a vast amount of decisions or actions he has made from the very start if the project.

From the marking out of the track to the disciplinary and subsequent "toys out of the pram" i would suggest he has shown very little common sense or business sense. I therefore do not share your confidence.

• Like 4

I was of the understanding that Beaumont Sports Complex lease the land & own the stadium which DH is the sole director of & that this company was of a sound financial state & that it is Leicester Speedway who are mere tennants of the stadium are the company with difficulty's .

if this is the case then how can the council re-take control of the land if they have no defaulted on payments.

Beaumont sports own the lease and the fixtures/fittings of the stadium. This company is financially solvent and up to date with payments for the stadium operations,

The accounts for Beaumont Sports Complex Ltd for the period ending March 2015 do not show any Fixed Assets (which is where the stadium, track, fixtures and fittings would appear). In fact these accounts show it to be, on the face of it, not very active, and with a net worth of minus £500. Mr Hemsley is the sole director and shareholder and has contributed £3 of share capital ( 3 shares of £1 each).

The accounts of Leicester Speedway Ltd however show a different picture with regard to assets. The last set of accounts are for the year ended 31st October 2014 (the 2015 accounts are overdue, they should have been filed by 31st July 2016). The accounts show Fixed Assets of £858,050 which comprises the stadium, track, fixtures and fittings.

The 2011 accounts show that the initial cost of these facilities was £785,113, although receipts totalling £418,346 were received towards ground preparation work, leaving a net balance of £366,767. The director(s) then revalued the assets at £750,000 by creating a Revaluation Reserve of £383,233.

So, in the last 3 years another £108,050 of assets have been added to the complex.

The company has 2 types of shares, Ordinary and B.

Mr Hemsley is the holder of the 1 Ordinary Share (and has control over the company).

There are 6,300 B Shares held by a dozen shareholders, of various denominations

The company has one director, Y Hemsley, appointed on 29th April 2016.

Mr Hemsley (ex director) and Mr Hurst (ex Co secretary), both resigned on 13th September 2016.

HSBC Bank have a legal charge over the undertaking, including all property and assets (a debenture created in 2012) over any monies owed to them.

Edited by woofers

Flagrag. Your faith in DH displaying some common sense is laudable but goes against a vast amount of decisions or actions he has made from the very start if the project.

From the marking out of the track to the disciplinary and subsequent "toys out of the pram" i would suggest he has shown very little common sense or business sense. I therefore do not share your confidence.

And of course his reputation for pi**ing off people who have helped him and whose goodwill he needs.Even if someone agrees to his terms (or if he manages to compromise) you can see it being only a matter of time until a big falling out occurs. In the long term it may be better for the Council to go through the trouble of getting shot.

Big Al I can fully appreciate what you are saying about some of the mistakes that DH has made. But the council in all honesty aren't interested in a lot of the errors like track shape,falling out with people and arrogance as long as he pays his lease and business tax they see it as another advantage to the local area.

Some of the conditions that Mr Hemsley is supposedly imposing on the new promotions is out of his hands like race night to the best of my knowledge the planning conditions do not allow to change away from weekend race night for all meetings

Big Al I can fully appreciate what you are saying about some of the mistakes that DH has made. But the council in all honesty aren't interested in a lot of the errors like track shape,falling out with people and arrogance as long as he pays his lease and business tax they see it as another advantage to the local area.

Some of the conditions that Mr Hemsley is supposedly imposing on the new promotions is out of his hands like race night to the best of my knowledge the planning conditions do not allow to change away from weekend race night for all meetings

If the planning only allows for weekend race night what is the point of Leicester announcing they are running 2017 in whatever they now call the Elite league. It would be commercial suicide for any new promotion and everyone knows that. You'd need a football type investor who has a money no object view. They'd need to be prepared to lose significant amount season in season out while tracking the worst team in the league every year because you can't get anyone decent to ride weekends. If there is supposed to be two groups interested I'd be very surprised if either would want to take over under those restrictions. If Lions can only race at weekends surely the old premier league is the correct option, run Saturdays and get people coming again every week instead of one in three/four to watch a poor side v a team of guests.

The planning permission/consent is all on-line and available to view. I haven't had chance to trawl back through it again, but I am sure when I looked previously there was no stipulation about which day could be raced on, there was just a limit of, I think 50 meetings a year.

If there was a restriction surely DH would have given this as a the reason previously. When I've spoke to him about the change he has always said it would be financial suicide based on the experience of a few meetings we held midweek._

• Like 1

That is different to what DH has said previously and what the council have said in that midweek meetings are ok as long as they are not all in the week.

Not all meetings will be in the week anyway as there will be 4 before Polish league starts and maybe two more

So, we aren't even sure if there is a Promotion to take over yet you seem to know the fixture list ??

No the fixture list is not out yet in U.K. But the Poles have said when their league is starting and that they will not be running fixtures the day after Cardiff or Easter Sunday so my theory is based upon that.

With a new promotion hopefully they will not be so against bank holidays as DH I personally would like to see a double header with Coventry on one of these

The planning permission/consent is all on-line and available to view. I haven't had chance to trawl back through it again, but I am sure when I looked previously there was no stipulation about which day could be raced on, there was just a limit of, I think 50 meetings a year.

If there was a restriction surely DH would have given this as a the reason previously. When I've spoke to him about the change he has always said it would be financial suicide based on the experience of a few meetings we held midweek._

If he believes this is correct then why not go back to Saturday nights in the old prem and get a few back watching a competitive team against another actual team instead of guests. The financial suicide was going elite league in the first place with such a weak team and poor track reputation meaning you're lucky to have one sky meeting a season. Lions are just being used to make up the numbers and getting nothing out it as far as I can see.

• Like 2

No the fixture list is not out yet in U.K. But the Poles have said when their league is starting and that they will not be running fixtures the day after Cardiff or Easter Sunday so my theory is based upon that.

With a new promotion hopefully they will not be so against bank holidays as DH I personally would like to see a double header with Coventry on one of these

Think you will find Poles have a full fixture list on Easter Monday

I'm more than happy to wait for news what makes my blood boil is people coming on here claiming to be in the 'know' which they probably are as there is never smoke without fire on here but it's not fair to the wider fan base.

One of the key questions for me is what sort of relationship will there be, between promoters (?) and landlord (DH).

Will DH be capable of standing back enough, and staying stood back, when it comes to running speedway operations, including keeping behind any clearly defined lines as will be set out by the negotiations? Or will he start acting like a back seat driver? It will be difficult for him to stop regarding Leicester speedway as his "baby" and find it hard to let go.

What I would fear is that the new promoters turn out to be basically DH's puppets and it becomes promoting by proxy.In the long term interests it's probably best if he were out of the picture completely,but it sounds like that isn't going to happen.

Let us hope that any new promoters are good and strong enough to stand their ground and the agreement covers all the bases from their point of view. Maybe that's why it's taking time to thrash out. Even to the point of walking away if DH is not being reasonable.

Meanwhile Rye House have got off to a flier putting their "Saturday" team together with riders whose availability is unlikely to be mucked up by weekend demands from Polish clubs.

One of the key questions for me is what sort of relationship will there be, between promoters (?) and landlord (DH).......

Meanwhile Rye House have got off to a flier putting their "Saturday" team together with riders whose availability is unlikely to be mucked up by weekend demands from Polish clubs.

Except Harris, Nichols & Watt have all signed for Polish third division clubs - do they not ride on Sundays?