British Speedway Forum

Wolves 2017

There's no difference between riding at three and riding at four under this format. It's not unusual to put your third averaged rider at four so you have a stronger rider in heat 14.

The old format was pony, this format gives far more realistic averages than those that the EL format from the last few seasons produced.

You are replying to a post regarding the meetings against Poole, which were the old format, where 3 was far tougher than 4.

Edited by BWitcher

Whilst everyone jumps up and down that we are a four man team, they are once again forgetting we are built as a top heavy side. Let's take a little look at just who the riders are winning and losing against in our two league meets so far.

The codes here are:-

WH: Won against higher average opponent

WL: Won against lower average opponent

LH: Lost against higher average opponent

LL: Lost against lower average opponent

Lindgren: WL 14, LL 6

Howarth: WH 4. WL 9, LH 5, LL 0

Skornicki: WH 3, WL 4, LH 6, LL 3

Thorssell: WL 9, LL 7

Masters: WH 5, WL 3, LH 6, LL 3

Clegg: WL 1. LL 2, LH 10

Greaves: LH 16

The biggest problem thus far is Thorssell He is not there to be a second string anymore, He's our second heat leader taking up nigh on 10pts of team building. He is also riding at the easier Number four position yet he has lost almost half of his races (7) to riders with a lower average than him.

Masters doesn't appear to have started all that well, however, he has a far tougher position at No 5 and as you can see is often racing against higher averaged riders than himself, against which he has held his own. He's lost 3 times to riders with a lower average.

Skornicki, surely we all knew it would take at least a month for him to fully get back into the swing of things? He has eased his way in as expected, yet he's only been beaten 3 times by riders lower than him and he's won 3 against those above him.

The reserves, it was obvious they would find it tough going. Again though the reality is, every opponent Greaves has faced has a higher average and bar the reserve race, Clegg is the same. Clegg has won once and lost twice against riders with a lower average.

Clearly we have to hope for more from Clegg at home where he needs to start beating the opposing no 6's from time to time and beating the opposing no 7's the vast majority of the time.

So basically you have a 2nd heat leader who is actually a 2nd string and 2 terrible reserves. Nobody in that team will step up to 2nd heat leader other than masters. Where he will find it tough.

People can blame whichever rider they like in this wolves team. The reality is its not a play off one until changes are made.

I said this months ago and I got put down but the moment you signed Skornicki that was the playoffs gone. He has looked awful last couple of years. You have three good riders in your heat leaders. Howarth who is ok, but give me jack holder/ Kyle newman everyday of the week. Wolves needed a Jack Holder type rider. Sedgmen would have been a good choice.

Your reserves are ok but Greaves hasn't improved in 3 years and Clegg is just so overrated. No wonder he won't win against Klindt. Yes, Shanes will have bad meetings but he is a better bike rider and has experience more pressure with longtrack and grasstrack.

If I was Wolves= Get rid of Greaves bring in any two pointer. You might as well save 0.27 points.

Would remove Clegg and bring in Richard hall for the experience

Then I would bring Lawson in for Skornicki would make the team stronger at top and bottom.

• Like 1

I said this months ago and I got put down but the moment you signed Skornicki that was the playoffs gone. He has looked awful last couple of years. You have three good riders in your heat leaders. Howarth who is ok, but give me jack holder/ Kyle newman everyday of the week. Wolves needed a Jack Holder type rider. Sedgmen would have been a good choice.

Your reserves are ok but Greaves hasn't improved in 3 years and Clegg is just so overrated. No wonder he won't win against Klindt. Yes, Shanes will have bad meetings but he is a better bike rider and has experience more pressure with longtrack and grasstrack.

If I was Wolves= Get rid of Greaves bring in any two pointer. You might as well save 0.27 points.

Would remove Clegg and bring in Richard hall for the experience

Then I would bring Lawson in for Skornicki would make the team stronger at top and bottom.

Another one oblivious to what is actually happening.

• Like 1

So basically you have a 2nd heat leader who is actually a 2nd string and 2 terrible reserves. Nobody in that team will step up to 2nd heat leader other than masters. Where he will find it tough.

People can blame whichever rider they like in this wolves team. The reality is its not a play off one until changes are made.

That is because of the average multiplication of 1.4 for riders that only rode EL last year. Wait for the new averages to come out after 4H 4A come into play. I agree with what others are saying in that your reserves look weak at the moment. Greaves did not perform well in last years PL so to move up will be hard, plus he's on the GTR which will need time to set up.

I think it would be harsh to sack both reserves. Clegg is riding at number 6 and is having to face some quality riders in each meeting, moving him to number 7 would mean he would have 2/3 races each meeting where he would be against riders that he is capable of beating especially at home. Greaves is clearly out of his depth but who realistically is going to come in on a 2 point average (That's available) and set the world on fire. Wolves would surely need to sacrifice a big hitter eg Skornicki to free up some points to give you a more solid outfit.

It's quite touching how so many non-Wolves supporters are desperate to see Wolves strengthen up!!

Give Cleggy a bit of time I say.

I seem to remember he started last season slowly even though he was riding in all 3 divisions and therefore getting a better chance to sort his problems out.

It's quite touching how so many non-Wolves supporters are desperate to see Wolves strengthen up!!

Give Cleggy a bit of time I say.

I seem to remember he started last season slowly even though he was riding in all 3 divisions and therefore getting a better chance to sort his problems out.

He should be at least as good as he was he was last season, but at the moment he's nowhere near that form. 3 or 4 points, at home at least, would be invaluable.

• Like 1

He should be at least as good as he was he was last season, but at the moment he's nowhere near that form. 3 or 4 points, at home at least, would be invaluable.

I think he's trying to say his bikes too slow, Jacob took it for a spin after the rider interviews last night, did a few laps and practice starts so hopefully he will give Max some feedback

I think he's trying to say his bikes too slow, Jacob took it for a spin after the rider interviews last night, did a few laps and practice starts so hopefully he will give Max some feedback

Perhaps Thorssell isn't the best bloke to be dishing out advice at the moment! :D

• Like 2

Bottom line is that we have problems all across the board. With weak reserves, we're in a position where we will go into a good seven or eight heats where the best we can hope for is a shared heat. If you have heat leaders and second strings not delivering it simply makes matters worse. Our reserves haven't been just poor - they've barely competed. In affect, we are trying to win matches with a 4 or 5 man team. You simply won't win many matches like that. We got away with it last night because Leicester contrived to throw away a meeting they should have won comfortably.

What average would Schlein be on ?

just 7.17 - a bargain if his early season form for the Witches is anythong to go by.

just 7.17 - a bargain if his early season form for the Witches is anythong to go by.

Schlein in for Thorssell.

Then gives us 7.10 to replace Clegg or 5.14 to replace Greaves.

Assuming any immediate changes still fall under the 50pt limit before averages change.

1: Lindgren

2: Howarth

3: Schlein

4: Skornicki

5: Masters

6: Howe

7: Clegg

Much stronger.. but will never happen.

Edited by BWitcher

Assuming any immediate changes still fall under the 50pt limit before averages change.

You sure that maths is correct? How can you replace 9pt Thorsell with 7 schlein and have 4 extra points to use in place of Clegg

You sure that maths is correct? How can you replace 9pt Thorsell with 7 schlein and have 4 extra points to use in place of Clegg

Thorsell isn't 9pts.. he is 9.89, nigh on 10.

Clegg is 4.23, plus there is 0.15 to spare under the 50pt limit.

Just had a thought, is there a limit in double uppers this year?

Edited by BWitcher

Quick maths says that doesn't fit. Howe is about 6.5.

I'd certainly be looking at Schlein for Thorsell. Then have Ash Morris or Adam Roynon at reserve.

Edited by SCB

Quick maths says that doesn't fit. Howe is about 6.5.

I'd certainly be looking at Schlein for Thorsell. Then have Ash Morris or Adam Roynon at reserve.

Thorssell is poor value on 9.89. He's completely reliant on gating and can't perform on the road, despite racing here for 5 seasons. He's simply not as good as the Wolves management and some fans think he is.