British Speedway Forum

Poole 2017

i do agree bpb obviously posters are allowed their opinion,if kelvin tatum says a young rider should sit more forward,sit further back,change his head position etc etc thats fine,but how many of us fans on this forum have the foggiest idea of how to ride a speedway bike,let alone give tips??that was my point

Fair enough. For what it's worth I am also of the opinion that Shanes' currently looks a little stiff on the bike around Poole. To my eyes he is adopting a grasstrack/longtrack style and riding a smooth and consistent line through the bends, which means he lacks the flexibility to react and changes lines to incidents in front of him etc... I've been going to speedway (and grasstack) for 27 years now, and many fans of the sport are equally long servants and supporters, so it's not unreasonable that we comment on a rider's style on a bike. I also think Shanes' echoes Steve Schofield's style somewhat, it's just last week it seemed more noticeable to me (and Steve!) that Shanes was a little rigid on the bike.

I'm a huge fan of Shanes', and certainly want to see him given every opportunity to succeed as a Pirate. Sacking him as part of any team change would be a short-sighted change and not one I'd approve of. Any critique given is done so with his best interests at heart. As you state, we've never sat on a bike and turn a wheel in anger, but we've seen enough races and riders to pass comment...

And how many more is Darcy helping if one isn't good enough??

You asked the question and got an answer you still aren't happy with.

Anything to bash Tai tho anyway ain't it. :rofl:

Funnily enough, you comes across as willing to bash Darcy, and certain Poole fans whenever you can. People in glass houses and all that!

Funnily enough, you comes across as willing to bash Darcy, and certain Poole fans whenever you can. People in glass houses and all that!

Very good mate.. :rofl:

i do agree bpb obviously posters are allowed their opinion,if kelvin tatum says a young rider should sit more forward,sit further back,change his head position etc etc thats fine,but how many of us fans on this forum have the foggiest idea of how to ride a speedway bike,let alone give tips??that was my point

I have watched thousands of heats of racing. And I know without ever ridden a single lap of speedway, that if your arms are locked out completely one way, they cannot go any further. If you are driving a car and your steering wheel is locked over to the right, you can't turn any further right, only left. This is the point I was making and its Noticeable with Shanes style. Not critisising just pointing out what I see. IMO he needs to change his arm positions to enable him to go inside or out. Needs advice from more experienced riders.

• Like 1

You are correct Steve I'm firmly of the opinion that UK Speedway has seen many ex grass trackers - Peter Collins for one but the two do not fit very well.

Ole Olsen said that Speedway is totally different requirement-in simple terms you face forward in Speedway but tend to ride side-on at Grasstrack.

Chris Harris is a good example.

James is also a side on rider.

You are correct Steve I'm firmly of the opinion that UK Speedway has seen many ex grass trackers - Peter Collins for one but the two do not fit very well.

Ole Olsen said that Speedway is totally different requirement-in simple terms you face forward in Speedway but tend to ride side-on at Grasstrack.

Chris Harris is a good example.

James is also a side on rider.

Ex grass trackers dont do well at Speedway?

Wigg, Tatum, Doncaster, Cross, Cox, Smith , Schofield, Loram, Screen , Stonehewer just to name some

• Like 3

I think Tai is in a better position, don't you..

for what precisely?

Funnily enough, certain Poole fans are happy to bash Tai when on of their appears a lose cannon.

But like you say, people in glass houses and all that!

But some dislike Darcy because of his Poole connection, not because of his past issues.

Couldnt care less who riders ride for hey are either disliked or liked. Lot of time for Holder , far less time for Ward.

Never a fan of David Norris even when he rode for us.

Didnt dislike Darcy but anyone that does and did the stuff he did will lose a lot of respect from a vast majority of law abiding citizens.

Couldnt care less who riders ride for hey are either disliked or liked. Lot of time for Holder , far less time for Ward.

Never a fan of David Norris even when he rode for us.

Didnt dislike Darcy but anyone that does and did the stuff he did will lose a lot of respect from a vast majority of law abiding citizens.

Maybe not you but a lot do. Darcy may not be whiter than white but his past is behind him and in my opinion should not be castigated for what he did as a teenager.

• Like 2

But some dislike Darcy because of his Poole connection, not because of his past issues.

I think it's more Middlo's defence of him that caused the damage more than the association to Poole.

The line 'it's what kids do' did more damage to Poole than anything else!

Always found Darcy good as gold in any small dealings I've had with him in the past before and after at Swindon, when he rode against us for Poole I loved nothing better than us to beat him but away from the track no problem at all with him...felt he grew up a lot after his ban I mean yes he still may say the odd thing that irks some but he's not alone, Tai s similar in some respects but quite different in others but both are fascinating individuals.

I tend to find some of the more experienced gp guys a bit hot and cold particularly Holder very hard to fathom out some times have had good experiences regarding him (no wise cracks) and a couple off tetchy ones, best to just leave alone there probably lol

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 2

Always found Darcy good as gold in any small dealings I've had with him in the past before and after at Swindon, when he rode against us for Poole I loved nothing better than us to beat him but away from the track no problem at all with him...felt he grew up a lot after his ban I mean yes he still may say the odd thing that irks some but he's not alone, Tai s similar in some respects but quite different in others but both are fascinating individuals.

I tend to find some of the more experienced gp guys a bit hot and cold particularly Holder very hard to fathom out some times have had good experiences regarding him (no wise cracks) and a couple off tetchy ones, best to just leave alone there probably lol

As for you bottom two sentances. They do not want to get involved with fans. They tend to stick with there own.

As i said, Darcy had his moments, but he was also a very nice lad.

• Like 1

Always found Jason Doyle and Morra accessible, Leigh Adams and Batch not so.

• Like 1

So?? Is that really important? :neutral:

Would Woffinden be helping him if he WAS'NT his wife's brother??

I don't think so!! If it was, let's say for example, James 'no relation ' Shanes, Woffinden would be helping him would he??

Of course he wouldn't.....and you know it!!

I don't think so!! If it was, let's say for example, James 'no relation ' Shanes, Woffinden would be helping him would he??

That's cos it's all about Tai!

Just going back to any potential changes in Poole's line-up, as far as Shanes is concerned lets not forget that each team has to retain at least 2 British riders that rode or are qualified to ride in the NL!!

This has already been discussed, just get Kerr back (unless he's already got a team place.) Although i hope Shanes lasts the season.

And what's Darcy doing exactly? The odd phonecall, text and advice??

Hardly any different.

Tai im sure has advised many kids over the years, like I'm sure Darcy has.

I really don't see why it's an issue or any different.

It's not like he had to drive to Birmingham to help him is it?!

Darcy is doing no more than Tai. Helping someone because he wants too.

• Like 1