British Speedway Forum

Poole 2017

ONE of the problems with averages is illustrated by Joe Jacobs who scores loads of points at Belle Vue and virtually none at places like Wolverhampton and Lakeside.

To be fair Phil much the same can be said about some of the Lakeside riders who score loads of points at Lakeside but hardly any anywhere else.

Averages completely dictate our sport and yet the EL use a race format that severely distorts averages depending upon on where you ride in the team, they should have ditched it as soon as they realised it was going to cause problems not persist with it for two years.

The current PL format is fair and provides a good service, the EL format is complete shyte.

I only wish the GS averages showed a bit more detail, matches ridden and a breakdown for home and away would be helpful.

Whilst all these interpretations of rules or second guessing next years set up is fine the most crucial thing is consistency.

If a team is told a riders average will be X then that's the average for all teams. Likewise lets know the rules for setting averages for returning or newbie riders now and not in August/September next year.

Also do away with the brown envelope, you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours approach which only seems to benifit some teams.

So you admit that Woffy was on a correct average then and wasn't a 'ringer' I take it?

Absolutely. So long as it's spread fair across all teams and riders then no one can complain.

Woffinden came in on a previous average which was obviously achieved in a bad spell for him, fair play to Wolves on getting him in but you can't say that was fair but Milik and Madsen need to be re-assessed.

Edited by foreverblue

ONE of the problems with averages is illustrated by Joe Jacobs who scores loads of points at Belle Vue and virtually none at places like Wolverhampton and Lakeside.

Thats exactly the opposite of a problem and why averages are a good thing :oops:

Milik had an official average gained I think last year? No way should that be reassessed, it has to be at least 3 years.

Exactly, plus as Zagar and Tai have said they find it easier to score points in other European countries compared to England. So averages shouldn't solely be based on what they do there.

But improving abroad doesn't mean they are going to be better here.

It's as good a form guide as your going to get and is more realistic than using an average achieved here some time ago. Using a 9 year old average is ludicrous as a realistic indicator of a riders current ability. It would also work both ways, somebody riding here now may not do so for a few years and then, when his career is on the side, want to return. His average should reflect his then ability and be assessed accordingly using his current average in Sweden or wherever.

Think the first word in that sentence that you were looking for is POOLE........Jeez why is it that EVERY rider Poole may be interested in, has to have their average increased?? I bet if any other teams were after the same riders, their averages would be fine!!!! FFS!!!!

That's the point of a level playing field, it should apply to every team. As I said above it wouldn't just apply to increasing an average, could also be lower, simply be a realistic assessment of current ability.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 1

Woffinden came in on a previous average which was obviously achieved in a bad spell for him, fair play to Wolves on getting him in but you can't say that was fair but Milik and Madsen need to be re-assessed.

depends what you class as 'fair'. Either all riders can come back on their last true average or make assessment for ALL that miss a season.

fairness and clarity for all.

anyway hasn't the precedent been set with those missing now set as a 7. Milik and Madsen are similar level to Lindback.

Milik had an official average gained I think last year? No way should that be reassessed, it has to be at least 3 years.

It doesn't have to be anything. It's what suits the BSPA as per usual.

depends what you class as 'fair'. Either all riders can come back on their last true average or make assessment for ALL that miss a season.

fairness and clarity for all.

anyway hasn't the precedent been set with those missing now set as a 7. Milik and Madsen are similar level to Lindback.

It doesn't have to be anything. It's what suits the BSPA as per usual.

Lindback hadnt ridden here for a long time so was re-assessed, Milik and Madsen are not at his level, Madsen hasnt ridden here for a while so could be re- assessed if requested but dont see why we would request it and its not dkne as a matter of course

Lindback hadnt ridden here for a long time so was re-assessed, Milik and Madsen are not at his level, Madsen hasnt ridden here for a while so could be re- assessed if requested but dont see why we would request it and its not dkne as a matter of course

Depends what you class as 'his level'.

Madsen holds down a regular spot abroad and if he was new to the UK (ala Lindback he would be effectively ) I'd say he would be reassessed the same.

He is now a world class rider but wasn't when he was last here.

is this the same Milik and Madsen who both finished above Lindback in the European Champs because if it is then they quite clearly are up to Lindbackd level. Milik has an average so that should stick but Madsen has to be a 7. Doubt he would ride over here though. Looks like a difficult time for Poole. Holder, Andersen, Buck, Pedersen all unlikely to be with the club plus doubts over Ellis. Could be the first big rebuild in a long time.

is this the same Milik and Madsen who both finished above Lindback in the European Champs because if it is then they quite clearly are up to Lindbackd level. Milik has an average so that should stick but Madsen has to be a 7. Doubt he would ride over here though. Looks like a difficult time for Poole. Holder, Andersen, Buck, Pedersen all unlikely to be with the club plus doubts over Ellis. Could be the first big rebuild in a long time.

Are you sure you are not Matt Ford in disguise as you seem to know so much about Poole plans for next year.
  • Like 1

Lindback is a gp rider, Milik and Madsen are not, i think it is hypothetical with Madsen as i very much doubt he would ride here.

Are you sure you are not Matt Ford in disguise as you seem to know so much about Poole plans for next year.

if you read my post I put the word 'unlikely' in it. I think it is very 'unlikely' that Holder , Andersen , Buck and Pedersen will be at Poole next season. It's my opinion that's all and up for debate. I just remarked that it would be a time for Poole to rebuild

Milik could be 7x SEC Champion & 10x World Champion but it's all irrelevant and should be.

Assessed averages are based on other Professional League Championships i.e. team racing and nothing else.

People need to get it out of their skull banging on about individual racing.

Any rider missing a season should be ok to use their previous average but 3 years is to long.

2 or more years re-assessment should be automatic, not as and when requested.

if you read my post I put the word 'unlikely' in it. I think it is very 'unlikely' that Holder , Andersen , Buck and Pedersen will be at Poole next season. It's my opinion that's all and up for debate. I just remarked that it would be a time for Poole to rebuild

Heard a rumour that Mr Ford wants Pedersen back next year (god I hope not......well past his sell by date)!!!!!!!!

Milik could be 7x SEC Champion & 10x World Champion but it's all irrelevant and should be.

Assessed averages are based on other Professional League Championships i.e. team racing and nothing else.

People need to get it out of their skull banging on about individual racing.

Any rider missing a season should be ok to use their previous average but 3 years is to long.

2 or more years re-assessment should be automatic, not as and when requested.

Milik should come in on somewhere between an 7.2 and 7.9, based on his average in Poland this season imo (the latter would be if a 10% increase is needed to reflect the higher standard). Lindback would be 7.6-8.3 (average of Swedish and Polish top flights).