British Speedway Forum

Poole 2017

Not sure about 'effortless' but great acknowledgement nevertheless - as well as the pic on the website. Centre green presenter Nij also mentioned as one of the committee, as well as presenting the REF quiznights through the winter months - the next one of which is Wednesday 15th February!!

We are staying down in Dorset at the end of April.

Myself,the wife,sister and brother-in-law.

I thought,great,I can pop along to see Poole on the 26th April.

NO FIXTURE!

Shame. :nono:

Oh, whoops! You'll just have to hope for a rain off league fixture in March, then there might be one! :)

Edit- or early April as not sure if only home meeting is the Darcy one, and definitely don't want that rained off!

Edited by lisa-colette

Oh, whoops! You'll just have to hope for a rain off league fixture in March, then there might be one! :)

Edit- or early April as not sure if only home meeting is the Darcy one, and definitely don't want that rained off!

Or could Matt rearrange a fixture just for me ? :D

• Like 1

perhaps effortless may have been not correct word I was looking for they work darn hard in what they do

Tireless!! :t:

We are staying down in Dorset at the end of April.

Myself,the wife,sister and brother-in-law.

I thought,great,I can pop along to see Poole on the 26th April.

NO FIXTURE!

Shame. :nono:

Keep an eye on the fixture list. I gather here might be a 'non-Poole' meeting confirmed?! :o;)

Tireless!! :t:

Keep an eye on the fixture list. I gather here might be a 'non-Poole' meeting confirmed?! :o;)

What sort of fixture are you hinting at ?

British Final or Championship Riders Meeting?

Edited by dj350z

So you are paid on how many watch the show? A type of commission so a thousand who watch on an illegal stream cost you 3 quid? Can't see how people are stealing from you if you are being paid for the work you do. You are paid for it so it is no longer your property.

The company that pay you a wage or for your work might be affected but not someone who has designed a graphic.

No point bleating about illegal streams. That horse has bolted from the stables years ago. The occassional streamer (one who streams the illegal content, not the viewer) might get caught once in a blue moon and banged up for 6 weeks as a deterent to others but it won't stop them. Sportsmania haven't been closed down and they take debit cards for subscriptions!

I get paid in all sorts of ways. Some of it is simple payment (generally lower but safer) there is occasionally performance bonuses that can be linked to viewers but these are rare. The reason it makes/costs me money is that if people watch properly and a show gets a second series or season then I don't have to spend 100s of hours working to make new control systems I just charge for them with maybe a few tweaks. If a show gets cancelled then my system/work is basically retired. So more viewers means it's decommissioned and I get "money for nothing". Long running series keep my othe work ticking over.

If something doesn't get past pilot stage I make a pittance. If it gets one series I'll make ok money. A second series and we're starting to talk good money. 15-1, Pointless, Only Connect and A League of Thier Own (and Countdown as of next series as we know that's not going anywhere!) are great shows. Every series now just means more profit. Also have some control software out there for (mostly regional) sports stuff but that keeps us ticking too. Sports stuff (and things like the Urdd Eisteddfod for s4c) is utterly boring to do but pays the bills. Rule with work is it has to be fun and/or make money.

Longevity = money to me. So people watching anything illegally means series/shows get dropped and I no longer get paid for it.

Point is, the idea that stealing from Sky, BBC, ITV etc so it's "victimless" because they're big organisations, is crap. There are 10s of people working on any TV show and lower viewing figures mean these people will lose out of a show is dropped. The only people who gain from old shows being dropped and replaced by new are set designers! It's just wrong to say it's victimless and ok to do. If you're going to do it, don't tell me I don't lose out. I accept it happens, it's always happened even before I got into the industry so I'm not shocked, amazed or appalled I just don't like being told it's ok. If you're going to steal from someone don't try and justify it to them!

Edited by SCB

Irrelevant to the thread Shawn but an interesting read nevertheless. And I agree with you point of view re stealing. So many people don't see it that way - or don't care!

I get paid in all sorts of ways. Some of it is simple payment (generally lower but safer) there is occasionally performance bonuses that can be linked to viewers but these are rare. The reason it makes/costs me money is that if people watch properly and a show gets a second series or season then I don't have to spend 100s of hours working to make new control systems I just charge for them with maybe a few tweaks. If a show gets cancelled then my system/work is basically retired. So more viewers means it's decommissioned and I get "money for nothing". Long running series keep my othe work ticking over.

If something doesn't get past pilot stage I make a pittance. If it gets one series I'll make ok money. A second series and we're starting to talk good money. 15-1, Pointless, Only Connect and A League of Thier Own (and Countdown as of next series as we know that's not going anywhere!) are great shows. Every series now just means more profit. Also have some control software out there for (mostly regional) sports stuff but that keeps us ticking too. Sports stuff (and things like the Urdd Eisteddfod for s4c) is utterly boring to do but pays the bills. Rule with work is it has to be fun and/or make money.

Longevity = money to me. So people watching anything illegally means series/shows get dropped and I no longer get paid for it.

Point is, the idea that stealing from Sky, BBC, ITV etc so it's "victimless" because they're big organisations, is crap. There are 10s of people working on any TV show and lower viewing figures mean these people will lose out of a show is dropped. The only people who gain from old shows being dropped and replaced by new are set designers! It's just wrong to say it's victimless and ok to do. If you're going to do it, don't tell me I don't lose out. I accept it happens, it's always happened even before I got into the industry so I'm not shocked, amazed or appalled I just don't like being told it's ok. If you're going to steal from someone don't try and justify it to them!

Surely nobody steals from BBC/ITV as its free!