British Speedway Forum

Poole 2017

Thanks for the periscope videos Steve, very interesting. I really enjoyed listening to Matt Ford who I think was really open and honest. Listening to him you can see why Poole are very successful and able to attract riders. Obviously not just about the money. His comments about the press and getting maximum exposure for Poole could be heeded by other promotions.

Edited by TesarRacing

Thanks for the periscope videos Steve, very interesting. I really enjoyed listening to Matt Ford who I think was really open and honest. Listening to him you can see why Poole are very successful and able to attract riders. Obviously not just about the money. His comments about the press and getting maximum exposure for Poole could be heeded by other promotions.

Not so easy for some, Coventry in particular!. Bees have to compete for article space with CCFC ( and shambles that goes with them), Wasps, Cov Rugby, Cov Blaze, Cov Bears and now Wasps Netball that attracted a crowd of 4,500 the other day. Add to that we've had Snooker, Rugby League internationals and even Davis Cup tennis in recent times. This is probably the reason why we announce riders mainly on a Saturday morning, all the Rugby and Football previews are done Friday! Poole's location certainly helps them as apart from the 2 PL football clubs I'm not sure there is much else sporting wise, especially at the levels Coventry based clubs play at.

Having said that Coventry Telegraph do an excellent job previewing and reporting our meetings.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

Agree with you Woz regarding the competition for sports in Coventry. I know the promotion and Trev Randle in particular do a great job locally with the Motorcyle Show stand and generally publicising the sport.

I did like the way Matt spoke though.

Motorcycle live is a brilliant way to promote. It's a shame other clubs and the bspa don't get involved with it.

I agree with Matt also and it would be the ideal way to do it if at all possible.

• Like 1

Well if the capacity+ crowd at last night's quiz night is anything to go by I can't see much of a drop in meeting attendances - despite as Matt said the amount of negativity whenever there is a change.

Great quiz too - with worthy winners who led the 19 teams and won the play-offs too!!! :-) :-)

ps. Final rider will be confirmed and announced next week - according to MF on BBC Radio this morning.

Edited by Skidder1

Well if the capacity+ crowd at last night's quiz night is anything to go by I can't see much of a drop in meeting attendances - despite as Matt said the amount of negativity whenever there is a change.

Great quiz too - with worthy winners who led the 19 teams and won the play-offs too!!! :-) :-)

ps. Final rider will be confirmed and announced next week - according to MF on BBC Radio this morning.

I think that's a pretty feeble explanation. It's not like fans are kicking off because of a slight rule change, they are kicking off because the league has been diluted so heavily that we've become one of the poorest speedway leagues in the world.