British Speedway Forum

Wolverhampton V Poole: El Play-off Semi-final 2nd Leg

Lets be honest here. This tie was over the moment Middlo posted on twitter that Lindback was out.

R/r was never going to cover and proved to be the case with 2 points coming from the 4 rides. Considering Lindback rides Monmore very well it was a huge loss.

Bjarnes injury also added to the problems. Whilst he is nowhere near fast enough on the bigger tracks, he is a quick gater and speed is not required at Monmore. The meagre points score from Tungate I feel would have been bettered by Bjarne.

What it left was a gaping hole in the middle of the team at the worst possible time, which was impossible to cover. With Kurtz and Buz completely useless, and Tungate reverting to his usual el form, we were effectively a team of two reserves and a number one who hates the place.

We were always going to run out of riders at the end and so it proved. Didn't help when the ref wanted a bit of fame to make a pretty disgraceful call when PK overlocked, and in heat 15 (when it was all over anyway) not to put all four back.

Poole were never going to make the final with the 6 riders they were forced to turn up with. Andersens injury really brought an end to our challenge this year. (13 last visit)

No sour grapes Wolves could only beat the opposition put in front of them but fate dictated a very weak Poole team last night at Monmore. Think Belle Vue at full strength will be a harder nut to crack.

I'll agree to an extent regarding Lindback... but let's be serious regarding Bjarne... who would he have beaten?

• Like 1

The only contentious moment for me was PK locking up. Should Ellis have not bothered to lay it down we could easily have a couple of riders out injured today.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the decision in Ht15. Holder should have pushed the Wolves riders out, leaving room for Tungate on the inside. Not rocket science.

Wolves deserved their win and good luck in the Final. That said, I will be cheering for the Aces. They finished top of the League and deserve to win it overall.

• Like 1

I'll agree to an extent regarding Lindback... but let's be serious regarding Bjarne... who would he have beaten?

Bjarne is pretty good at Monmore and he has Poole in his heart so would have given everything and is a very good gater which was vital last night, Tungate was useless and Lindback missing was a big blow, i would have thought a guest like Josh G would have been better than r/r. Said to guys next to me putting Holder out against Lindgren and Masters on a t/r was very risky at best and not getting a 5-1 in heat 12 was massive for Wolves.Our reserves though were magnificent especially Kyle Newman. As some have said ref got it wrong excluding Adam Ellis but really it was our injuries that caught up with us. Why this was the second leg i don't know as Wolves can clearly race on a wednesday.

perhaps clegg,well maybe,well maybe just,well perhaps not,but he would have led him for two laps.get well soon bjarne.was he a good replacement for watt??? not matts greatest yr.

He wouldn't have raced Clegg.

He would have been against...

Harris and Masters in Heat 3, Harris and Woffinden in Heat 6, Lindgren and Karlsson in Heat 11 (Tungate came 2nd in that race anyway), then Lindgren and Masters in 13.

He wouldn't have scored more than Tungate.

In his appearance a few weeks ago, Bjarne beat the Wolves reserves in Heat 2, beat PK once (as Tungate did) but was then later last in Heat 12 against Howarth and Clegg.

He'd have been blown away as a heat leader.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1

Bjarne is pretty good at Monmore and he has Poole in his heart so would have given everything and is a very good gater which was vital last night, Tungate was useless and Lindback missing was a big blow, i would have thought a guest like Josh G would have been better than r/r. Said to guys next to me putting Holder out against Lindgren and Masters on a t/r was very risky at best and not getting a 5-1 in heat 12 was massive for Wolves.Our reserves though were magnificent especially Kyle Newman. As some have said ref got it wrong excluding Adam Ellis but really it was our injuries that caught up with us. Why this was the second leg i don't know as Wolves can clearly race on a wednesday.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous way that the EDR were picked at the start of the season, you wouldn't have got any where near the play-offs anyway. When clubs are allowed to pick their asset first, that should mean they drop down the order of choice for the 2nd EDR as in reality they get a 1st choice of rider with their asset. If this had been in place at the start of this season, there is no way you would have got Ellis. Picking the EDR's this way would mean that there is more likely to be an even balance between the teams. Reserves are so important now as having the protected heats & the chance of 7 rides each, can mean so much to the result of a race. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for your reserves, you wouldn't have got anywhere close to Wolves last night.

• Like 3

For me the most pleasing thing about the result is that Peter Karlsson will bring down the curtain on a glittering British career in a Play off final. He is obviously not the man he once was, and I would have preferred to have remembered him as he was, rather than how he now is, but he has been such a great servant to British speedway it will be a fantastic way for him to bow out. Hope he scores a few and we see few last flashes of the Old Master.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous way that the EDR were picked at the start of the season, you wouldn't have got any where near the play-offs anyway. When clubs are allowed to pick their asset first, that should mean they drop down the order of choice for the 2nd EDR as in reality they get a 1st choice of rider with their asset. If this had been in place at the start of this season, there is no way you would have got Ellis. Picking the EDR's this way would mean that there is more likely to be an even balance between the teams. Reserves are so important now as having the protected heats & the chance of 7 rides each, can mean so much to the result of a race. Let's be honest, if it wasn't for your reserves, you wouldn't have got anywhere close to Wolves last night.

A man after my own heart. It needs to be sorted out but I am not holding my breath.

• Like 3

Here you go chap, enjoy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RldLhBeCS3U :t:

Thanks very much for that link. I will enjoy watching it later.

Who was the referee anyone know?

For me the most pleasing thing about the result is that Peter Karlsson will bring down the curtain on a glittering British career in a Play off final. He is obviously not the man he once was, and I would have preferred to have remembered him as he was, rather than how he now is, but he has been such a great servant to British speedway it will be a fantastic way for him to bow out. Hope he scores a few and we see few last flashes of the Old Master.

A man after my own heart. It needs to be sorted out but I am not holding my breath.

Where have you seen that EIA? Unless I've dropped a brick and missed it PK's still keeping us guessing :wink:

does he put up bt grand prixs as well ? thanks

Yes mate, as said it's been a godsend for me recently

Well said, always enjoyed watching PK and love his yam yam accent.

He wouldn't have raced Clegg.

He would have been against...

Harris and Masters in Heat 3, Harris and Woffinden in Heat 6, Lindgren and Karlsson in Heat 11 (Tungate came 2nd in that race anyway), then Lindgren and Masters in 13.

He wouldn't have scored more than Tungate.

In his appearance a few weeks ago, Bjarne beat the Wolves reserves in Heat 2, beat PK once (as Tungate did) but was then later last in Heat 12 against Howarth and Clegg.

He'd have been blown away as a heat leader.

bjarne on his 2 visits to monmore has scored 4 and 7 both frm reserve berth

he wouldnt of scored many if any last night

Bjarne has been poor at Monmore for quite a while now and his scores this year flatter him somewhat due to being at reserve.

Would have not scored more than Tungate last night.

Thanks very much for that link. I will enjoy watching it later.

You're welcome but tbh it was racers & royals who provided it originally. If you save the guy's channel (with the leather hat) to your favourites and check in the following morning after meetings it will be there.

• Like 1

Out of all the different and sometimes relevant (in the case of the ref as usual!) ) reasons being discussed as to why Poole lost last night that I've seen in here, I havent seen any blaming Holder who was, quite frankly, useless!

Just 8 points from 6 rides, including a tactical double, from a number 1 in a huge meeting where the team was weak, is not acceptable and although others (Kurtz, Tungate and Buck) were even worse, none of them were expected to score the big points that Holder needed to, to get Poole through.

Well done to Wolves though, should be a good final but, baring injuries, think Belle Vue will win quite comfortably.

• Like 1