British Speedway Forum

Sheffield 2017

Neil Watson on Coventry thread revealed the slight amendment to priority.

Retention does indeed get priority over asset of which league in 2017

good looking side - my favourites for title so far with Glasgow 2nd and my diamonds 3rd

Bjerre and Brandford could make a mockery of their averages ............ brandford best reserve in this league will make mincemeat of most the reserves

the key to most league winners...... an out and out number 1 and a high scoring reserve at 6 .... you have both

Neil Watson on Coventry thread revealed the slight amendment to priority.

Retention does indeed get priority over asset of which league in 2017

A baffling array of unfathomable rules and regulations which even the sharpest legal brain would struggle to unravel. You'd never believe this sport is about four riders going four times round a dirt track. How ever did things become so hellishly complicated?

• Like 1

Looks a decent side on paper.If Branford can get off to a good start and either Bates or Kurtz are struggling a few meetings at reserve could keep us solid at the bottom end of the team.Its a long time since we have had a reserve who might be capable of getting into the main body of the team .Hopefully nobody will struggle and we can have some success but with all the doubling up and down ,guests and injuries who knows Id just like to see the same 7 riders each week winning and entertaining us.Good luck to the team for next season and lets hope we can win a trophy or two.

A baffling array of unfathomable rules and regulations which even the sharpest legal brain would struggle to unravel. You'd never believe this sport is about four riders going four times round a dirt track. How ever did things become so hellishly complicated?

Stripped back to bare essentials, speedway could be the most attractive spectator sport out there. Every spectator sees every moment of every race. Unfortunately......

Six good riders and Kurtz,I don't reckon he will be there the season you will probably get rid of him not a team player and a miserable sod to boot,if you can get the best out of him good luck to you as I like Sheffield as a club I really do after watching him for the last few seasons the only way I see his average going is down.

Six good riders and Kurtz,I don't reckon he will be there the season you will probably get rid of him not a team player and a miserable sod to boot,if you can get the best out of him good luck to you as I like Sheffield as a club I really do after watching him for the last few seasons the only way I see his average going is down.

I suppose if you were working and not being paid regularly you might be a miserable sod as well.

• Like 2

I have to admit this signing worries me a bit. Someone suggested on this forum that he spent the end of last season manipulating his average downwards to secure a good berth in 2017. That's the speedway equivalent of the footballer who "throws" a game to win a wager at the bookies. If that's the case, does he not realize that, regardless of his personal differences with the management, he still has a responsibility to his team-mates and the fans who pay the entry fee week in week out?

As he's now reportedly a Sheffield asset, I'm concerned as to whether he has Sheffield's interests at heart. Personally I wouldn't want to pay money to watch riders who are not 100% behind Sheffield's cause. I think he has something to prove and let's hope he responds favourably. What do others think?

He wasn't getting paid FFS!!!!!!

Why would you ride for the club? Your wasting fuel, general maintenance on your bikes and for what? Why not make your average attractive for next season? If your paying him, look at his form start of the season, will easily add 0.5 to a point on his average.

• Like 3

He wasn't getting paid FFS!!!!!!

Why would you ride for the club? Your wasting fuel, general maintenance on your bikes and for what? Why not make your average attractive for next season? If your paying him, look at his form start of the season, will easily add 0.5 to a point on his average.

It's called integrity.

Promoters who fail to pay riders on time are low-lifes who should never be allowed anywhere near a speedway team ever again. But riders who give in to that sort of tyranny by not giving of their best are tarring themselves with that same brush of fundamental dishonesty, and two wrongs never make a right.

Ultimately it's the fans who pay money at the turnstiles that keep speedway afloat. They have a right to expect honesty and integrity on the part of both promoters and riders, otherwise they have good reason to feel cheated (and nobody loves a cheat).

As a Sheffield supporter I will never feel happy if there is a suspicion that a particular rider is deliberately failing to give of his very best to the team effort. The suggestion that we have a rider in the ranks who is even capable of withholding his best talents in some strategy for self-betterment is worrying. After all, he could do it again in 2017 if he thinks he's not getting a fair crack of the whip.

I fully sympathize with any rider who is not been treated fairly by promoters, but there are ways of dealing with that without compromising one's own integrity.

• Like 3

how do you maintain your bike,buy new parts,buy fuel for you van ... without any income???? got to be difficult/impossible to do your job 'properly' .... the integrity arguement fails to cover expenses

• Like 4

It's called integrity.

Promoters who fail to pay riders on time are low-lifes who should never be allowed anywhere near a speedway team ever again. But riders who give in to that sort of tyranny by not giving of their best are tarring themselves with that same brush of fundamental dishonesty, and two wrongs never make a right.

Ultimately it's the fans who pay money at the turnstiles that keep speedway afloat. They have a right to expect honesty and integrity on the part of both promoters and riders, otherwise they have good reason to feel cheated (and nobody loves a cheat).

As a Sheffield supporter I will never feel happy if there is a suspicion that a particular rider is deliberately failing to give of his very best to the team effort. The suggestion that we have a rider in the ranks who is even capable of withholding his best talents in some strategy for self-betterment is worrying. After all, he could do it again in 2017 if he thinks he's not getting a fair crack of the whip.

I fully sympathize with any rider who is not been treated fairly by promoters, but there are ways of dealing with that without compromising one's own integrity.

Would you turn up and do your best for your company if they weren't paying you? I know I wouldn't, we had to deal with Lasse Bjerre last season dropping his average on purpose coz he didn't want to be at Redcar, and you've gained from that by getting a rider on a 6 point average who is capable of scoring 8/9 a meeting, you gonna say bad stuff about Lasse now?

• Like 4

Would you turn up and do your best for your company if they weren't paying you? I know I wouldn't, we had to deal with Lasse Bjerre last season dropping his average on purpose coz he didn't want to be at Redcar, and you've gained from that by getting a rider on a 6 point average who is capable of scoring 8/9 a meeting, you gonna say bad stuff about Lasse now?

That's not the point he's making. The company is one thing, its customers are very much another.

I could understand someone not turning up if they hadn't been paid, but speedway riders do almost without exception. The people they let down the most when they don't give it their best shot on the track is not the promotion, but the fans.

how do you maintain your bike,buy new parts,buy fuel for you van ... without any income???? got to be difficult/impossible to do your job 'properly' .... the integrity arguement fails to cover expenses

No doubt that will affect a riders ability on track, but it most certainly does not prevent him giving it everything he can.

Back to the team. For me, and so far, the strongest in the league. Superbly balanced and they just don't have a weak link.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

No doubt that will affect a riders ability on track, but it most certainly does not prevent him giving it everything he can.

understand what you're saying but human nature dictates that if you know you're already beaten before you start (due to inferior equipment) then you're mindset adjusts accordingly. EG/ formula one/ jensen button