British Speedway Forum

Anyone Else Considering Walking Away From Speedway?

Just as a matter of interest how many times have you actually supported Poole this season, apart from on here, because I know you don't live anywhere near the track?

My pet hates ~ messing around at the start and tractor racing. Just get on with it then maybe we could have a second half involving the young NL lads to give them more track time. We get told the tractor grading is 'to put the shale back on the racing line' but my reply to that would be 'what shale?'

Ok Gemini so your pet hates the messing around at the start and tractor racing.Do you agree with her lol.

Edited by B.V 72

Sometimes, it is good to see why something is going so wrong that even diehard fans are getting disillusioned.

You ain't a diehard fan ffs. You only want to go if it's the highest level. What do you want people to say?

Old guys get fed up with their life and project that dissatisfaction onto Speedway.

speedway isn't necessarily the problem, 4 riders doing 4 laps, the fundamental product is great, but the things that are pushing people away are the rules and the way things are run.

I dislike double up/down, I dislike guest riders, but I have to acknowledge that they are a necessary evil in the sport these days as the clubs need riders to put on a meeting and there isn't enough to go around for the number of clubs we have for everyone to have a squad.

we need the AGM to look at the riders that are pretty much holding the sport in this country to ransom, leave them out of the teams, and go with the riders that want to ride here. we need to get back to basics and work from there, if we don't then the sport will implode and become something along the lines of the current grasstrack setup with very few clubs and irregular fixtures.

teams need to limit the cost of flying riders in/out for all the meetings, there isn't the money in the sport to keep doing it.

I've been volunteering at a couple of clubs for a few years and every now and again things happen that make me wonder what the hell I'm doing still going, but then I see the racing at Peterborough which is 4 laps of pure adrenalin, and I realise how lucky I am.

And I don't want to lose that feeling

• Like 7

After a long winter without speedway I always look forward to the start of another season.

The thought of an extended year without speedway is horrible and not for me.

You can always try get yourself to some winter amateur meetings where it isn't uncommon to get 60 races in a day!

Works for me! :t:

• Like 1

Just as a matter of interest how many times have you actually supported Poole this season, apart from on here, because I know you don't live anywhere near the track?

'

I only live 30 min drive away (you make it sound like I like I live on the moon!) I have been mostly in the summer hols not sure what that has to do with me saying a thread is depressing. Fans have been moaning about the decline of British Speedway since I started going 20 odd years ago.
  • Like 1

I am in the situation where I do not know if I am fed up with Speedway or watching NL is just not for me.

I used to go to Arena Essex/Lakeside until Kent Kings got going.

I have only been to a few Kings meetings this season.

I went to the Kings v Birmingham (NL Trophy Final) a while back and could not believe how low key it was,and it was supposed to be a Final? (Is it because it was NL?).

I went to the Kings v Brum (KOC Semi)last week and left before the end.

So I do not know if it is NL or Speedway in this Country.

I do love watching the Swedish League and you get close racing with the top class riders. :t:

You can always try get yourself to some winter amateur meetings where it isn't uncommon to get 60 races in a day!

Works for me! :t:

Because it probably doesn't cost you a bean...That would work for you, wouldn't it Steve... :o

I only live 30 min drive away (you make it sound like I like I live on the moon!) I have been mostly in the summer hols not sure what that has to do with me saying a thread is depressing. Fans have been moaning about the decline of British Speedway since I started going 20 odd years ago.

Well. at least you answered the question thanks. My mistake sorry as I thought you lived further away, although not quite so far away as on the moon.

Also at the end of my tether after 45 years. I don't want to be at a stadium for over 2 hours (it's 2016 and most of us have busy lives), 90 minutes maximum unless there's a serious injury.

But the 3 main things

1, stop this messing around at the start!

2, stop this messing around at the start!!

3, stop this messing around at the start!!!

It's getting very tedious, doesn't appear to be a problem in other Countries, so it must be our rules and refs are too weak. Obviously getting rid of Chris Gay would be a start in that department, refs like him seem to get pleasure seeing riders burn out clutches.

A bit of a homophobic post wanting to get rid of a Gay person. There is a lot of fannying around at the start though.

I bloody loves me speedway as they say round these ere parts, and will love it even more when Swindon get their new stadium so I don't ave to take me own seat! It was better years ago but we have to move on and look for the positives in this still great sport.

Edited by auntie doris

I have been involved, albeit in a small way with the track prep at Leicester since 1981, and when Leicester closed, still kept involved with Kings Lynn until around 1989, and I have loved speedway, since 1972.. Apart from a brief 4 yr stint supporting Long Eaton during the Leicesterless years, I have always believed that the top division in the UK was where I wanted to be..

When Leicester joined the Elite League 3 seasons ago, I was finally happy, or so I thought..

But things have gone from bad to worse, what a bloody shambles this league is. Promoters that don't promote, riders that well, at best, use this league for pin money, no loyalty, no team spirit, and most have no thought for the paying fans.

I have always tried to make allowances for them, the riders, but now I am so disillusioned with speedway, I think this will be my last season as a supporter and volunteer..

I don't think I want to drop to premier league, or national league, I want to see the best that is available, end of......

Unless, the AGM makes some radical changes, and stops sitting on its arse and self congratulating itself, that's me done....

To be honest next year will pick & choose my meetings in the UK, but will be going to Poland most w/ends next year