British Speedway Forum

Swindon 2017

I think you are so wrong about this winning thing,of course it helps but a few people i know who did use to go regular dont go everyweek now because of the entertainment aspect.You dont mind putting a with a poor nights entertainment as long as your team wins that is strange to me WIN everyweek but watch crap racing does that makes sense.?

It's not about me or you it's just about people in General ...Swindon Town could play the most entertaining football but if they lose each week the crowds will drop . On the other hand if the play the worst football and keep winning 1 -0 the crowds will go up ...it's just common sense

It's not about me or you it's just about people in General ...Swindon Town could play the most entertaining football but if they lose each week the crowds will drop . On the other hand if the play the worst football and keep winning 1 -0 the crowds will go up ...it's just common sense

Never knew you did common sense.. :rofl:

Dont buy that one bit not in speedway anyway, most Speedway fans like us diehards will go everyweek anyway.But a first time visitor will not go back and with the fixture list the way it is alot of people are getting out the habit of going and have found other things to do.My point is getting the product right being entertained after paying 17 quid.That is more important than winning everyweek and not enjoying your night out you would rather win than be entertained so we differ on that.
  • Like 1

I think you are so wrong about this winning thing,of course it helps but a few people i know who did use to go regular dont go everyweek now because of the entertainment aspect.You dont mind putting a with a poor nights entertainment as long as your team wins that is strange to me WIN everyweek but watch crap racing does that makes sense.?

The problem is Sid is the majority of people will stop going if the club continues to lose (especially at home). The diehards (probably yourself) would turn up rain, wind or shine, but if you think back to the dire season wHen Nicholls was at number one, the crowd dropped alarmingly.

If for a minute we consider football, I can recall the Chelsea day's before the Russian tycoon came in, they had crowds of 10.000 at Stamford Bridge. That's because they were losing. Swindon Town are the same. A poor Town side means crowds of 5 or 6 thousand. A decent Town side you will pretty much get 10,000.

Fickle public Sid, fickle public.

Ask the Arsenal fans. Would they prefer their team to win 1-0 every week with their back four boring the ** off everyone and winning the league or finish 6th playing nice tippy tappy football?

I know what I would want....

Again they will sell out 61,000 everyweek whatever way they play but most football fans now are so fickle anyway.As a example if George Graham came back and tried to win 1.0 and play his way in this day and age he would not last the course.At Man Utd are they happy with the way they play? no it is slow football under Busby,Ferguson they were used to attacking being entertained and winning being entertained surely is important.?

Dont buy that one bit not in speedway anyway, most Speedway fans like us diehards will go everyweek anyway.But a first time visitor will not go back and with the fixture list the way it is alot of people are getting out the habit of going and have found other things to do.My point is getting the product right being entertained after paying 17 quid.That is more important than winning everyweek and not enjoying your night out you would rather win than be entertained so we differ on that.

as I said not about what I want ..crowds watch winning teams .you could get a product as great as you like but if you keep losing it won't matter. Edited by orion

The problem is Sid is the majority of people will stop going if the club continues to lose (especially at home). The diehards (probably yourself) would turn up rain, wind or shine, but if you think back to the dire season wHen Nicholls was at number one, the crowd dropped alarmingly.

If for a minute we consider football, I can recall the Chelsea day's before the Russian tycoon came in, they had crowds of 10.000 at Stamford Bridge. That's because they were losing. Swindon Town are the same. A poor Town side means crowds of 5 or 6 thousand. A decent Town side you will pretty much get 10,000.

How many extra go each week ER because they are winning at the Abbey ? the odd handful maybe that is a problem speedway has ER if you dont entertain how do you expect to entice a new viewer on a regular basis and take over from the old codgers.😜

as I said not about what I want ..crowds watch winning teams .you could product as great as you like but if you keep losing it won't matter.

You could be right but speedway needs to worry about replacing the diehards like us, in the future it looks bleak. Edited by Sidney the robin

How many extra go each week ER because they are winning at the Abbey ? the odd handful maybe that is a problem speedway has ER if you dont entertain how do you expect to entice a new viewer on a regular basis and take over from the old codgers.

You could be right but speedway needs to worry about replacing the diehards like us, in the future it looks bleak.

Your telling me Orion goes ?

Not quite true ER...

I started going to The Bridge in the early 90's and crowds were in the early to mid 20000.

Most speedway fans go out of habit not to be entertained. The people who go irregularly are the ones that want to be entertained.

Not quite true ER...

I started going to The Bridge in the early 90's and crowds were in the early to mid 20000.

Most speedway fans go out of habit not to be entertained. The people who go irregularly are the ones that want to be entertained.

I'm probably going back a bit further than 90 if truth be told theblueboy. I think it was more like 83.

Not quite true ER...

In the Bates days your club was desperado, without the Russian the club would of been nearly zilch.Strange really Chelsea have done well the last twenty years and fair play to them.

I'm probably going back a bit further than 90 if truth be told theblueboy. I think it was more like 83.

Early 80s Arse and Chelsea got gates below 20000, now look at the successful buggers.

Not quite true ER...

Not quite true ER...

So few meetings at The Abbey i'll have to set the Satnav in two weeks.

As long as Arsenal or The Robins win i'm appy. There is far better racing at OTA but fans may drop off if they were on a losing run, and Robs get bigger crowds than the Rebs.

I loved that Gunners side under George, Adams, Wrighty, SMith, Merson, Bould, Seaman, Rocky....didn't actually win many 1-0!

One game against Leeds in 66 there were 4500 at Highbury!

Edited by beefy keefy

Early 80s Arse and Chelsea got gates below 20000, now look at the successful buggers.So few meetings at The Abbey i'll have to set the Satnav in two weeks.

As long as Arsenal or The Robins win i'm appy. There is far better racing at OTA but fans may drop off if they were on a losing run, and Robs get bigger crowds than the Rebs.

I loved that Gunners side under George, Adams, Wrighty, SMith, Merson, Bould, Seaman, Rocky....didn't actually win many 1-0!

One game against Leeds in 66 there were 4500 at Highbury!

The Liverpool sides 1976/77 and the Dalglish side along with the Invincibles and dirty Leeds are the best sides i have ever seen.

The Liverpool sides 1976/77 and the Dalglish side along with the Invincibles and dirty Leeds are the best sides i have ever seen.

Great sides with Wenger's 2004 Invincibles and 98 and 02 Double winners my faves. And Fergies 99 treble winners weren't bad.

I've had a go at the averages - using Speedway Updates and my own possible shortcomings! It should be correct give or take a point or ride here and there!

Doyle - 107/43 x 4 = 9.95

Morris - 98/44 x 4 = 8.91

Bellego - 72/39 x 4 = 7.38

Gappmaier - (assessed?) 4.00 (or would this be based on PL average?)

Zak - 31/38 x 4 = 3.65

Ellis - 32/36 x 4 = 3.56

Wilson-Dean - 20/28 x 4 = 2.86

Total = 40.31

Going on these figures (open to correction), there is a big danger that Zak will move up into the top 5 after the next meeting, which must put BWD's poistion in doubt. Also interesting that it's Ellis who has been getting flak online but he's nearly a point above Bradley.

At the moment we are 1.69 short of 42, which isn't much.

It's easy to see the averages for this season go to the BSPA website & look at the averages column that comes first not the green sheet averages. These are the averages that will come into effect once the 4h + 4a have been ridden, Ellis's 7 on Wednesday will not affect his average as he has already completed his 4a meetings.

It's easy to see the averages for this season go to the BSPA website & look at the averages column that comes first not the green sheet averages. These are the averages that will come into effect once the 4h + 4a have been ridden, Ellis's 7 on Wednesday will not affect his average as he has already completed his 4a meetings.

I think the 7 may still be counted I don't think the calculation "freezes" at 4 away?