British Speedway Forum

Daftest Nickname?

Ommer Mon

The other Scott Smith (the Aussie one) I think had a few nicknames too, he was just as crazy as Scud.

"Wizzer" I think is short for the Welsh Wizard, and as for the ones referring to colours, they originated when most riders had black leathers and those who chose a different colour certainly got noticed. When George Major signed for Birmingham he had a set of yellow leathers made to match the club colours, and was nicknamed the Flying Banana!

I know the late Kenny Smith called him a few names when he (Scott Smith) managed to run the battery down on the van, as he had hooked up the fridge with cans of booze in it and after the meeting, when he went to start it, Kenny realised the battery was flat as he couldn't start it!!

• Like 1

I know the late Kenny Smith called him a few names when he (Scott Smith) managed to run the battery down on the van, as he had hooked up the fridge with cans of booze in it and after the meeting, when he went to start it, Kenny realised the battery was flat as he couldn't start it!!

Remember when, in 2001, he opened his pay packet in the bar at Newport after a meeting where he only scored a point or two, and booted a half full bin down the corridor in disgust 😂

Many more stories of him, another one was seeing him drive off drunk from the stadium after a meeting on the wrong side of the road zig zagging all over the place.

Sure others will remember more of his antics!

I take it you are being ironic when referring to the smudger nickname?

I always assumed it was after the beano character.

But the urban dictionary makes it clear there is a much more obvious explanation.I assume it is the 1st definition that dictionary provides, and not the third though! That is one definition of "smudger" I was definitely unaware existed!