British Speedway Forum

Daftest Nickname?

Ommer Mon

New Cross were originally called The Lambs. After a couple of years, the management announced that they were changing the team’s nickname from the Lambs to the Tamers. They felt the name Lambs gave the wrong impression, as in “lambs to the slaughter”, and that the Tamers would be more appropriate so they could tame the Wembley Lions and the Harringay Tigers, etc.

• Like 1

I'm probably displaying major ignorance here, but why was Emiliano Sanchez nicknamed Poty?

A bloke who sits along from me at Owlerton has nicknamed Dimitri Berge "Fab" (Fab-Berge... :D ).

Not a nickname as such, but I always get an earworm of the song "Tom Dooley" whenever I see Dan Bewley race....

Dunno either. I've made enquiries and it appears Emiliano has always been nicknamed Poty, even from his Trewlany & Glasgow days, and I believe it to be a common-ish nickname in his native Arngentina.

At Hull we just knew him as 'The Crazy Argie' :t:.

One reason was in a 2005 race, I believe it was, at Craven Park and knowledgable he had entered turn 1 way too hot and was therefore unlikely to exit turn 2, he let the bike run and rode 2ft UP the fence, completing the race with even losing his position. Class :D ..

Edited by Martin Mauger
  • Like 1

Dunno either. I've made enquiries and it appears Emiliano has always been nicknamed Poty, even from his Trewlany & Glasgow days, and I believe it to be a common-ish nickname in his native Arngentina.

At Hull we just knew him as 'The Crazy Argie' :t:.

One reason was in a 2005 race, I believe it was, at Craven Park and knowledgable he had entered turn 1 way too hot and was therefore unlikely to exit turn 2, he let the bike run and rode 2ft UP the fence, completing the race without even losing his position. Class :D ..

Should have read "completing the race without even losing his position". And it was in fact 2004 I have it on DVD but unable to upload.

Phil Morris: Wizzer, as in Wizard Of Wales ? Nice guy Phil; bought a few Reading v Hull vids from him and he threw in some DVDs FOC that he'd previously forgotten to mention. Lovely gesture :t: :t: :t: ....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Moving slightly sideways, which is what we do on this forum, anyone recall or know who the rider was who needed a logo or slogan covering on his kevlars covering as it was offensive ? I can only remember him being a Dane (or maybe a Swede) who in his first ever meet over here wore kevvies from his 'own country' so all the lettering was in a foreign language and wasn't understood by us Brits - apart from this one word or phrase....

A former (Scandinavian) Wolves rider who shall be nameless turned up at the local newspaper office for a pre-arranged video interview wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the legend "Storm the castle and screw the princess". He was loaned a jacket.

• Like 1

Eric Monahaghn was known as Bootsy because early in his career he had second hand boots that were to big for him. Phil Morris was known as Wizzer but I don't know why.

Should have read "completing the race without even losing his position". And it was in fact 2004 I have it on DVD but unable to upload.

Phil Morris: Wizzer, as in Wizard Of Wales ? Nice guy Phil; bought a few Reading v Hull vids from him and he threw in some DVDs FOC that he'd previously forgotten to mention. Lovely gesture :t: :t: :t: ....

Phil Morris' Wizzer nickname came from the centre green presenter at Smallmead (Clive Fisher I think) calling him the Welsh Wizard.

He was called quite a few other names by away supporters over the years too :D

Another that sticks in my mind is 'Scud' for Scott Smith.

Named after the Iraqi missile he was extremely quick but liable to take off in any direction!

Great character who was usually worth the admission money on his own.

I remember his last come back, his first meeting was in a Sheffield vs Edinburgh meeting (about 2008ish) and my mate asked, "why Scud?" so I told him to simply watch him ride and heat and then he'd understand. Heat 3 and out comes Scud, manages quite a steady by his standards first lap but entered bend 1 of lap 2 in a way only Scud could, by the time he'd got mid-bend you knew there was going to be a crash, it was impossible that Scud and those around him could all exit the bend upright. And yes, he took himself, I think it was Ricky Ashworth and one of the Edinburgh riders out on bend 2. "OK, I get it now" was my mates response :D

Scud is the only rider I have seen knock a rider off on bend 1, get the race stopped and then AFTER the red light proceed to skittle the other two riders as they all slowed down on the back straight at Exeter :D

I only ever saw him at away meeting, he was always "ill" the day he was due to ride at Newport, I can only imagine him trying to get around the likes of Newport, Wolves, Arena-Essex would have been hilarious :D

Good thread

My favourite was 'Little Bo Peep' for Bo Petersen.

Never knew why Andy Smith was called Smudger.

Hearing a race with Wiggy and Donkey riding for England sounded daft but amusing.

Also loved 'Sprouts'.

I take it you are being ironic when referring to the smudger nickname?

New Cross were originally called The Lambs. After a couple of years, the management announced that they were changing the teams nickname from the Lambs to the Tamers. They felt the name Lambs gave the wrong impression, as in lambs to the slaughter, and that the Tamers would be more appropriate so they could tame the Wembley Lions and the Harringay Tigers, etc.

Don't know the relevance of Rangers and the Maltese Cross. Great memories of speedway at the Frying Pan in my first year of watching the sport standing by bend 2, and Squibbo, Penniket, the Reeves et al. The Lions of Millwall next door would have been better name, but Wembley had it.

Edited by auntie doris

Don't know the relevance of Rangers and the Maltese Cross. Great memories of speedway at the Frying Pan in my first year of watching the sport standing by bend 2, and Squibbo, Penniket, the Reeves et al. The Lions of Millwall next door would have been better name, but Wembley had it.

I don't know why the name was changed yet again to the Rangers. The New Cross management made the announcement at the beginning of 1937 that henceforth the team would be known as the Rangers. As far as I know they didn't give a reason.

I've always assumed the Maltese Cross was just a pictorial depiction of a new cross. It always seemed very appropriate to me.

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2

The other Scott Smith (the Aussie one) I think had a few nicknames too, he was just as crazy as Scud.

"Wizzer" I think is short for the Welsh Wizard, and as for the ones referring to colours, they originated when most riders had black leathers and those who chose a different colour certainly got noticed. When George Major signed for Birmingham he had a set of yellow leathers made to match the club colours, and was nicknamed the Flying Banana!

• Like 1

Mike Watkin in the early 60's got the name of "Mudlark" because of his increased ability in riding wet tracks. One of the first to beat Briggo, who had won the World Championship on the Saturday, on a rain affected track at Newcastle, on the following Monday. Watkin was only a second string at that time. Strangely Watkin used to ride a bronzed frame, not chrome like everyone else.

Edited by Tsunami