British Speedway Forum

Daftest Nickname?

Ommer Mon

Indeed I do (at least I think I do). I believe it given to him by Barry Briggs due to his (Mauger's) handlebars on an early bike resembling those of American rider Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder who rode in the 1920's & 30's. Coincedentally I read that somewhere recently, probably in a Vintage Speedway Magazine, though more than a bit before my time....

• Like 1

Not sure it's the daftest but it was a bizarre one that had me puzzled , around 2002- 2005 I kept seeing in southern programmes I was referred to as the " Widnes whirlwind " no idea what it meant or where it came fromas I'd never been to Widnes in my life , I just got used to it for a couple of years .I decided to find out and asked Derek Barclay who was doing the programme notes at southern tracks , he informed me he thought I was from Widnes ? Why? Anybody who has met me (Derek had) knows I have a Black Country accent I think he said he got me mixed up with a relative of his wife ?, we still refer to it

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE
  • Like 3

Indeed I do (at least I think I do). I believe it given to him by Barry Briggs due to his (Mauger's) handlebars on an early bike resembling those of American rider Lloyd 'Sprouts' Elder who rode in the 1920's & 30's. Coincedentally I read that somewhere recently, probably in a Vintage Speedway Magazine, though more than a bit before my time....

I always thought it was just because he was dominant, like Sprouts Elder had been.

I always thought it was just because he was dominant, like Sprouts Elder had been.

And I think I read somewhere that it was because he looked like Sprouts in his (Ivan's) early years...........

And I think I read somewhere that it was because he looked like Sprouts in his (Ivan's) early years...........

Could be, and prevous post, couldn't quote both. Personally, I used to think it came from his Exeter days when he wore green leathers for a while.

Anyone know why Niels Kristian Iversen is sometimes called 'Puk' ?....

Could be, and prevous post, couldn't quote both. Personally, I used to think it came from his Exeter days when he wore green leathers for a while.

Anyone know why Niels Kristian Iversen is sometimes called 'Puk' ?....

Niels used to play ice hockey I think.

• Like 1

I always found the description of Brian Andersen, the smooth stylish Dane, as the 'mad axeman' was somewhat incongruous, made worse by the overuse of the tag by Peter York who seemed to be the only person who used the nickname.

• Like 2

Thanks for the Sprouts Elder connection. I wasn't aware of that and thought it may be something to do with the affect that they can have if you eat too many!

Here's another - Ole Olsen described as 'The Head Waiter' always presumed that was around him leaving his passing manoeuvres to the last moment. Any thoughts on that?