British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2017 50th Year

Just don't get it with the stupid farcical rules in this sport , I mean come on let teams sign injury replacements, for the love of god !

Unfortunately a transfer deadline is a transfer deadline. You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Newcastle got away with it last season by the skin of their teeth when Lewis Rose got injured about 4 hours before the transfer deadline. they managed to agree a deal with Ashley Morris and redeclare before midnight on the night of Lewis' injury. If they hadn't it would have been R/R until the end of the season.

Trouble is there are, on occasions, too many sick-notes for dubious injuries, And i am NOT saying this is the case in this instance.

It's in the rules, only a rider returning from injury is allowed to come back into the team, no signings after 31st of July

Suppose you are unfortunate enough to get more injuries is Vatcher going to make a decision for your Bandits or is it possible to run for 15 heats with 4 or 5 rider team. Total stupidity from the governing body , under the circumstances special dispensation should be applied .

• Like 1

It's certainly a rule that hasn't been thought through.

Say in the PL playoff final each team has 3 riders out with season ending injuries one in august another early september and the other a week later. The final will be a total farce

It happened to a lesser extent last season with Sheffield in the play-offs last season. They turned up in the play-off v Newcastle with three guest track experts in the side.

Would the promoters vote for this rule at the conference last year.If so,they only have themselves to blame.However it's a different story if the rule was brought in just by the usual mismanagement board.

If you are wondering why the transfer deadline was brought forward just look at what Wolves and Poole did last year when the deadline was just before the play-offs started.

And Yes I believe it was a promoters decision made at the annual conference

Edited by leander

Oh well looks like a 6 man team till the end of the season including a NL rider every team will be looking forward to Berwick on the plus side Nick and David get a extra ride :o:o:o

They have been all season up until now

Well, Belle Vue are now without Max Fricke and there sadly has to be a probability of other clubs in both leagues losing riders to injury before or during the post-season.

If 'rules is rules' then fair enough and Bandits, Aces and any others will have to soldier on with r/r - but if any club gets a dispensation 'for the good of the sport' while Berwick are left short-handed......

Just how would you explain this situation to a newbie to the sport , someone you've taken along for the first time ? It's all fine and well trying to stop teams from trying to pull a fast one , but common sense needs to be applied IMHO once again speedway has managed to make itself look like a Mickey Mouse sport

• Like 1

So a forward thinking promotion, who have made massive steps forward in promoting the sport, and also taking the entertainment to another level, get completely shafted by the ruling body.

It is crazy that due to an injury, we will not be able to put out a full team for the rest of the season.

Totally nuts.

:mad:

• Like 5

So a forward thinking promotion, who have made massive steps forward in promoting the sport, and also taking the entertainment to another level, get completely shafted by the ruling body.

It is crazy that due to an injury, we will not be able to put out a full team for the rest of the season.

Totally nuts.

:mad:

To the letter of the law, oh how I wish the BSPA would stick to the rules, the BSPA are quite correct in blocking Berwick`s move to replace a Busk Jacobsen. I would imagine this rule was brought in to stop teams changing riders virtually on a weekly bases to either try to get in the play offs or to win them out right, however thats hardly the position Berwick finds themselves in. I agree with an end date to signing new riders as straight replacements but there must be a rule for the position Berwick are in now where they have lost a rider to a genuine injury and are being blocked from signing a replacement. It could be argued that the clubs who face a Berwick team with six riders either home or away are at an advantage against the teams who faced Berwick with seven.

• Like 1

Berwick not allowed to make a replacement, yet a number of riders now unemployed this sport never lets you down with their rules.

• Like 1

To the letter of the law, oh how I wish the BSPA would stick to the rules, the BSPA are quite correct in blocking Berwick`s move to replace a Busk Jacobsen. I would imagine this rule was brought in to stop teams changing riders virtually on a weekly bases to either try to get in the play offs or to win them out right, however thats hardly the position Berwick finds themselves in. I agree with an end date to signing new riders as straight replacements but there must be a rule for the position Berwick are in now where they have lost a rider to a genuine injury and are being blocked from signing a replacement. It could be argued that the clubs who face a Berwick team with six riders either home or away are at an advantage against the teams who faced Berwick with seven.

Agree on all points.

Seems like the Bandits are back up to four.

Thankfully as you say it seems that the injury picked up by Jye Etheridge last night won`t stop him taking part in Sunday`s meeting, though God knows what Berwick would've done had he had to miss meetings.