British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2017 50th Year

I'm not comparing it to any but it's weak, has a long tail and a few hit and miss riders. The right leadership might make a difference (as I've already said).

Not sure that makes sense to be honest? How can it be said it has a long tail without using other sides to compare? If other sides end up with longer tails does that shorten Berwick’s tail as probably happened with a side like Somerset last season due to their long tail actually performing like a short tail?

Not sure that makes sense to be honest? How can it be said it has a long tail without using other sides to compare? If other sides end up with longer tails does that shorten Berwick’s tail as probably happened with a side like Somerset last season due to their long tail actually performing like a short tail?

Oh OK then, put it this way. That looks like a team just making up the numbers, rather than seriously competing and I'm quite confident that certain other sides will be 'seriously competing,' even though they haven't yet publicly released their full line-ups.

• Like 1

I see Berwicks team as a 'Team in Depth', the club has only competed when it has had a team in depth, rarely with an out and out No1. Also with a new management they need more than ever to work within their means, under these cicumstances, they have put together a team that has the potential to give many teams a run for their money, but without putting the club into financial difficulties in their first season. I think they have taken a very pragmatic look at Berwicks future, and built a team accordingly.

I might add, how can Berwick be compared to other teams, until those teams have announced their rider line up's

Edited by balderdash&piffle
  • Like 3

Need to make shielfield a fortress again,to many home defeats over the last 2 seasons have cost us playoff places

• Like 2

I might add, how can Berwick be compared to other teams, until those teams have announced their rider line up's

They can’t - the point is moot at best for the time being for both sides either for or against where Berwick will be in the league – which I assume is why the general feedback from Berwick fans is happy, looks entertaining etc rather than any overblowing of the side and mentions of league wins or Play Offs.

Those generally making predictions and comments re how poor/crap the side is are probably best served biding their time and seeing just where the standard of the entire league is before comments are made re crap, long tails etc – I assume most sides will have “long tails” as the league has been designed to ensure sides have “long tails”

Edited by Tyrion
  • Like 1

To quote Bandits4eva,

On Glasgow. Frankly, Glasgow's long tail may catch up with them.

On Berwick. A long tail it may have but that long tail can score points on its home track..........

Spot the difference. B):rolleyes:

Therefore, the comparisons made by others on our team (some say we'll just be Making up the numbers) can also be made to yours then?! Your top 3 is good but IMO not heads above ours either.

People getting very hyped over your potential signings too quickly. We know Bewley is good but he had a big crash last season with severe concussion and could come back differently. Jack Smith is very young.. Yes, he could be a good one but look at Zach W last season...

2017 will be interesting....

I would like to go on record of applauding the new consortium for a-taking Berwick speedway into future years b- keeping speedway alive in Berwick c- putting together an interesting side under the current climate I thank you and applaude you lets hope we can silence the doubters with a bit of luck

I would like to go on record of applauding the new consortium for a-taking Berwick speedway into future years b- keeping speedway alive in Berwick c- putting together an interesting side under the current climate I thank you and applaude you lets hope we can silence the doubters with a bit of luck

The important thing, if there are doubters, in general, they are not from the Berwick or surrounding areas

• Like 1

Jeez oh, I come on and give an honest opinion on how I think the Berwick team is for 2017 and I get verbally attacked for doing so!

When the Glasgow team is complete I fully expect people to comment on it too, is that not what a forum is all about?

I for one do not have a problem with your opinion or anyone else's, I do however have a beef when posters start slagging each other off, keep it tidy and discuss is all that is needed. You often find when you meet an offensive poster, in real life they are really nice people, forums seem to bring out the worst in people, perhaps it's the anonymityof it.

• Like 1

dear me, who dropped the hand grenade onto this thread then?

that would be if someone suggested the tail was long because it started after Bridger....

😉😛

• Like 1

Weird team this. In Berge I think Berwick have a star in the making, theres something there IMO. Ive only ever heard good things about Liam Carr and his averages goes the right way every year. But the rest is a bit unispiring but equally it's not going to let you down and maybe thats the answer? Solid with a few bright sparks, probably going to be in the top half of the table rather than the bottom.

Weird team this. In Berge I think Berwick have a star in the making, theres something there IMO. Ive only ever heard good things about Liam Carr and his averages goes the right way every year. But the rest is a bit unispiring but equally it's not going to let you down and maybe thats the answer? Solid with a few bright sparks, probably going to be in the top half of the table rather than the bottom.

I think our new management have looked outside the box a little, looked for riders who have potential to improve, backed up by riders who will reliably do their job like Kev . There have been comments about running Liam at No2, but most of his more serious opposition from No 7 last season will; be riding at No2 as well. Like I said earlier Chessell will be our real weakness, but lots of other clubs will have to run with a Chessell, he might surprise everyone though.

• Like 2

I think our new management have looked outside the box a little, looked for riders who have potential to improve, backed up by riders who will reliably do their job like Kev . There have been comments about running Liam at No2, but most of his more serious opposition from No 7 last season will; be riding at No2 as well. Like I said earlier Chessell will be our real weakness, but lots of other clubs will have to run with a Chessell, he might surprise everyone though.

I agree Taffy, I think this is quite an interesting lineup.

I'm really excited to Bridge in the PL, I always thought he would benefit from riding at this level.

Your comment about Liam is spot on.

What a lot of people forget, he was a completely different rider last season. Much faster, much more aggressive, and a lot more confident.