1 Jason Garrity 8.43

2 Liam Carr 4.24

3 Thomas Jorgensen 6.83

4 Kevin Doolan 6.92

5 David Bellego 8.04

6 Rob Branford 3.52

7 Jack Smith 2.00

Team total 39.98

Wouldn't argue with this team, but I fancy that Garrity, Branford and Smith will all be hot commodities and will end up at higher profile clubs than Berwick. Would like to see Bellego return and would be happy to see Liam, TJ and captain Kev back again.

• Like 3

Thoughts from Berwick co-promoter Scott Courtney after this weeks AGM, taken from Berwick`s Facebook page.

BSPA AGM,

Your new Berwick Bandits Co Promoter Scott Courtney has expressed his thoughts after the BSPA Annual Meeting held at the Paradise Wildlife Park in Herts, this week.

Courtney attended his first AGM for all three days with outgoing boss John Anderson also in attendance on the Tuesday and said

“I went with an open mind and having said that I feel now that there was a very positive vibe coming from the other clubs towards changes for 2017.

“The new set up for next season fully meets with our approval and in all honesty followed the blueprint we at Berwick had in mind. I realise that the new SGB Championship has been reduced to ten teams but with the League Cup ended it means we race our opponents home and away twice in league action. It is also pleasing that all our local ‘derby’ fixtures will still happen in 2017. Plymouth have of course pulled out of our league but as I understand would still like to be running in some way and Somerset and Rye House have moved to the new Premiership.

In the KO Cup Berwick will meet Ipswich early season home and away, the third season running they have been paired with the Suffolk club, albeit it last year it was Rye House or Ipswich, with the Herts. Club eventually getting through against the Witches.

“There are a lot of other good positive moves coming to the fore and we cannot wait to get our teeth into things now. Myself, Jamie, Gary and Dennis will be meeting up to discuss a variety of matters and we are already putting plans in place and to move towards our team building under the 40 point guidelines drawn up and approved. We want to provide an action packed and entertaining Saturday night for everyone in attendance and of course, by nature we will be all aiming to win matches and do so in spectacular fashion!

"The previous limitations being lifted on riders doubling up can only capture the imagination of the fans and I've came home to Berwick very excited to get our 2017 plans well underway.

Wouldn't argue with this team, but I fancy that Garrity, Branford and Smith will all be hot commodities and will end up at higher profile clubs than Berwick. Would like to see Bellego return and would be happy to see Liam, TJ and captain Kev back again.

As already pointed out my team doesn't fit average wise but I do think we will see one or two riders following Havelock up from Coventry. Rumours of Chris Harris, but surely that will be only be just that, rumour, as Harris will ride in the top league which will take him away when he races at Leicester and Rye House assuming they dont change their race night, anyway there`s every chance Harris could end up at one of those tracks as his new home and he has already said he is committed to getting back into SGP which will almost certainly mean missing meeting for the qualification meetings.

1 Harris

2 Carr

3 Doolan

4 Gappmaier

5 Jorgensen

6 Perry

7 2 pointer

Most promoters are saying that new number 7's are coming in on a 2 now so I presume thry are correct although Speedway GB tweeted differently.

1 Harris

2 Carr

3 Doolan

4 Gappmaier

5 Jorgensen

6 Perry

7 2 pointer

Most promoters are saying that new number 7's are coming in on a 2 now so I presume thry are correct although Speedway GB tweeted differently.

Have you borrowed Normans fingers

If Harris at Berwick, needs to improve his gating on a gaters track

Edited by balderdash&piffle

Have you borrowed Normans fingers

If Harris at Berwick, needs to improve his gating on a gaters track

Edited now haha, he would still be good in general, it's always good to have an actual number 1, especially away from home, he's also a brilliant man to have in the pits and will be constantly helping the younger ones like Liam and who ever else we have such as Dany, Fom and who ever our new number 7 might be. We're never going to win a league without an out and out number 1, lets face it.

Edited now haha, he would still be good in general, it's always good to have an actual number 1, especially away from home, he's also a brilliant man to have in the pits and will be constantly helping the younger ones like Liam and who ever else we have such as Dany, Fom and who ever our new number 7 might be. We're never going to win a league without an out and out number 1, lets face it.

Your point on a No1, every time we have had an out and out No1 in the last 20 years, nowhere. However, in 2002, 2005 and 2013 or 14, we ran with a team in depth, and were very near the top in all cases 2nd in 02 & 05.

Your point on a No1, every time we have had an out and out No1 in the last 20 years, nowhere. However, in 2002, 2005 and 2013 or 14, we ran with a team in depth, and were very near the top in all cases 2nd in 02 & 05.

If we look who has won the league, it's very unlikely to find a team in recent times that has won with a strength in debth team.

When? That team this year wasn't strength in debth, they just took chances and they paid off big time, fair play to them for that as well by the way

Somerset nearly always put a solid team together, always well balanced, generally near the top, a good team in depth well thought out and payed dividends.

I would add if you run with an out and out No1, you also need the best 2 reserves to back it up.

Edited by balderdash&piffle

When? That team this year wasn't strength in debth, they just took chances and they paid off big time, fair play to them for that as well by the way

Agree Allen and WilsonDean signing paid off.Tungate and Graczonik would be no1 at a lot of tracks in PL.We need TJ +another rider who would improve,rather than riders who have peaked.

Agree Allen and WilsonDean signing paid off.Tungate and Graczonik would be no1 at a lot of tracks in PL.We need TJ +another rider who would improve,rather than riders who have peaked.

I think Tom Perry would be a very good signing and if we can get our number 7 right all could be ok, would mean Liam in main body though and possibly Dany as well.

We need some new blood among the riders , to get some enthusiasm back among the fans IMO .Dont really see why the had to reduce points limit though.Thats just me though

I think theoretically it keeps big hitters who over charge for their services out of the equation, probably aimed at riders like Cook, Harris etc.. to keep the costs down for the lower league and make it more likely to survive financially. I would much prefer a balanced competetive team that entertains, than spending large amounts on an out and out No1 who we cannot afford, and placing the team in a financial position that we cannot survive. Some will say that signing a No1 will put bums on seats, in Berwicks case this is probably unlikely.

I think theoretically it keeps big hitters who over charge for their services out of the equation, probably aimed at riders like Cook, Harris etc.. to keep the costs down for the lower league and make it more likely to survive financially. I would much prefer a balanced competetive team that entertains, than spending large amounts on an out and out No1 who we cannot afford, and placing the team in a financial position that we cannot survive. Some will say that signing a No1 will put bums on seats, in Berwicks case this is probably unlikely.

Why do they pay over the odds to the so called big hitters.Promoters are their own worst enemy when it comes to it .Theoretically the points limit should not make any difference to wages,it's the people negotiating that's the problem.
  • Like 2

Why do they pay over the odds to the so called big hitters.Promoters are their own worst enemy when it comes to it .Theoretically the points limit should not make any difference to wages,it's the people negotiating that's the problem.

To a point, I agree with you, but you know as well as I do that riders expectations are very high and nearly always ask for far more than they are worth. It is why I always believed in a pay structure across the sport in each league. As you quite rightly intimate the promoters are their own worst enemy, and are usually the ones that break their own set of rules.

• Like 1