British Speedway Forum

Berwick 2017 50th Year

As with any takeover there are many legalities to be gone through of one type or another, maybe that would hold any announcement up.

Spot on, screm (not a phrase I've typed any too often, but....)

From newsletter, September 14th:

"As we emphasised, enquiries are being treated in strict confidence" said John Anderson, speaking for Ryan and George yesterday. "Until we have reached agreement with a preferred bidder, we do not expect to be making any further public statements".

FIFTY, NOT OUT!
We can celebrate -- your Bandits will be marching on into their fiftieth season of speedway.
John Anderson has today revealed the official sale of the club, as a going concern, to an alliance of Scott and Jamie Courtney, together with 1992 World Champion Gary Havelock.

"We are pleased to have done a deal, properly and courteously, with Scott, Gary and Jamie" said John. "It is good to know the club is passing into the hands of people who have all been steeped in speedway, probably since birth!"

"I can reveal we had other offers, but these are the guys we have chosen".

"After all, the continuation of the Bandits for their fiftieth season -- and hopefully for many, many more seasons after this – is the most important thing. This is what Heppy, Ryan and I felt was best for all concerned".

For the incoming ownership group, Scott said that he and Dennis (McCleary) would be the promoters in 2017, while Gary Havelock – after four years running the team at Elite League Coventry – would be the team manager.

In conclusion, John Anderson said he wished to thank everyone who had contributed so much time and effort to help in the running of speedway at Berwick with him since 2008.

“Everyone has been great, and I cannot mention them all” he stated. “However, I want to specifically and personally thank Dennis McCleary, Ian Rae and Dick Barrie for so much, often unseen, assistance over these past eight great years”.

“The club is passing into a new, fresh era, and I wish the new guys the very best of good luck and good times”.

Taken from Berwick Speedway Facebook page.

• Like 9

FIFTY, NOT OUT!

We can celebrate -- your Bandits will be marching on into their fiftieth season of speedway.

John Anderson has today revealed the official sale of the club, as a going concern, to an alliance of Scott and Jamie Courtney, together with 1992 World Champion Gary Havelock.

"We are pleased to have done a deal, properly and courteously, with Scott, Gary and Jamie" said John. "It is good to know the club is passing into the hands of people who have all been steeped in speedway, probably since birth!"

"I can reveal we had other offers, but these are the guys we have chosen".

"After all, the continuation of the Bandits for their fiftieth season -- and hopefully for many, many more seasons after this – is the most important thing. This is what Heppy, Ryan and I felt was best for all concerned".

For the incoming ownership group, Scott said that he and Dennis (McCleary) would be the promoters in 2017, while Gary Havelock – after four years running the team at Elite League Coventry – would be the team manager.

In conclusion, John Anderson said he wished to thank everyone who had contributed so much time and effort to help in the running of speedway at Berwick with him since 2008.

“Everyone has been great, and I cannot mention them all” he stated. “However, I want to specifically and personally thank Dennis McCleary, Ian Rae and Dick Barrie for so much, often unseen, assistance over these past eight great years”.

“The club is passing into a new, fresh era, and I wish the new guys the very best of good luck and good times”.

Taken from Berwick Speedway Facebook page.

Brilliant!

• Like 1