British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2017

Decent team from a results point of view and I'm delighted that we have two of the most entertaining riders to watch in Lambert and Lindgren. To the Kus fans can I just say that Lindgren didn't cost us any chance of cup by falling off on the parade lap.

Hope Kus gets fixed up elsewhere but he was not a rider I enjoyed watching.

Major issue would be any loss of a top 5 rider early in a meeting and any extended use of r/r but you can't build a team around what might happen.

Top 6

Decent team from a results point of view and I'm delighted that we have two of the most entertaining riders to watch in Lambert and Lindgren. To the Kus fans can I just say that Lindgren didn't cost us any chance of cup by falling off on the parade lap.

Hope Kus gets fixed up elsewhere but he was not a rider I enjoyed watching.

Major issue would be any loss of a top 5 rider early in a meeting and any extended use of r/r but you can't build a team around what might happen.

Top 6

is the 'new' r/r rule to be implemented during a match, like the EL last season ?

Before Eastbourne announced it, naughty

I don't think Connor is the one that worries people

Phillips might count himself to be a little fortunate after last season but taking into account that Newcastle run Sundays and ruling out those that have signed for other clubs there aren't that many (if any) better on the limited points available.

• Like 1

Connor Coles is a trier and a decent gater. The only issue he has is the failure to stay on the bike for 4 laps sometimes from over riding.

We chose Hume and Mountain over him for a reason. However i do wish him well and hope he does well for you guys (until you come to Foxhall lol)

is the 'new' r/r rule to be implemented during a match, like the EL last season ?

Yes, if a rider is injured during a meeting his rides can be shared out amongst those below him in the averages and not just the reserves.

• Like 3

Connor Coles is a trier and a decent gater. The only issue he has is the failure to stay on the bike for 4 laps sometimes from over riding.

We chose Hume and Mountain over him for a reason. However i do wish him well and hope he does well for you guys (until you come to Foxhall lol)

I'd say they are on a par and your reasoning might not be as sound as you seem to suggest. Mountain is definitely the better rider snd also has a much smoother style. He's coming in on the back of an awful injury, though, and that is always a bit of a gamble. As to Hume, over the back half of the season Coles had the higher average and beat Hume at Perry Barr when Mildenhall were there. I certainly have no criticism of Ipswich's choices, but it might not be ss clear cut as you think.

I'd say they are on a par and your reasoning might not be as sound as you seem to suggest. Mountain is definitely the better rider snd also has a much smoother style. He's coming in on the back of an awful injury, though, and that is always a bit of a gamble. As to Hume, over the back half of the season Coles had the higher average and beat Hume at Perry Barr when Mildenhall were there. I certainly have no criticism of Ipswich's choices, but it might not be ss clear cut as you think.

I get what you are saying totally an Mountain in particular is a gamble Hume isnt.

I can only go on what i have seen and i doubt very much that any Ipswich fan would want Coles over Mountain or Hume.

But as i say i hope he does well for you. I like Newcastle and their fans and i hope you guys have a good season..........and finish second to us lol

Kus over Ludde ???,,, you are ffffing crackers ;)

I thought you might comment RD. :t::rofl:

Personally I would have preferred Kus - as for being crackers - you may well be proved right - age you know.... :unsure::rolleyes::)

• Like 2

I for one am happy with the team, great to have Lambert and Worrall back to spearhead our challenge and we should be good at home with the likes of Ludvig, Rose and Morris providing good solid backup. Yes we may be weak on the road but we will wait and see. We signed Kus last year to provide firepower on the road and that never really happened so we may surprise a few with this team on the road. I don't know a lot about Coles but just looked at his scores over the last few meetings for Mildenhall and in all but one match against a NL select he was in double figures and top scored a few times, so it shows he has potential. Yes Danny was poor this year to say the least but I'm prepared to forget that and hope he comes back better and with a point to prove. Having said that I think alot of pressure will be on Danny next year and he will have to silence a lot of his critics and with him being the more senior reserve and technically having to fill Roses/Morris's boots will have a lot to do. Its sad that we could not fit Kus in but someone was always going to be disappointed and George stated that it is not the end of his Newcastle career so no doubt we will see him again and I hope he finds a team, maybe Rye House!!! (ala George's comments last night). I will be interested to hear what the news re: Danny is when it finally comes out.

Onwards and upwards and looking forward to 2017

• Like 1

Phillips might count himself to be a little fortunate after last season but taking into account that Newcastle run Sundays and ruling out those that have signed for other clubs there aren't that many (if any) better on the limited points available.

But Chris, surely you can't be right, despite your vast knowledge of watching many NL teams last year. :D

NuFc 1892 can name at least 10 better riders than Danny. Pity he didn't mention just one of them last year. Anyway, I'm always wary of someone who 'likes' his own post. :P

Not a good team. Two poor reserves to accommodate Lambert and Worrall who will both be missing a fair few meetings again I'd imagine.

nearly all the teams will have 'poor' reserve pairs

all the promoters are taking a gamble

for a few - it will be a success ............. for the others it could be a nightmare especially if you have to use r/r for your 4th or 5th rider for any length of time

10/11 rides per meeting by a weak reserve pairing ...... could be some painful hammerings .... home and away

still think the bspa have got this all wrong on cost cutting to restrict team limits to 40 .....

• Like 1

nearly all the teams will have 'poor' reserve pairs

all the promoters are taking a gamble

for a few - it will be a success ............. for the others it could be a nightmare especially if you have to use r/r for your 4th or 5th rider for any length of time

10/11 rides per meeting by a weak reserve pairing ...... could be some painful hammerings .... home and away

still think the bspa have got this all wrong on cost cutting to restrict team limits to 40 .....

In addition it is making spaces in teams for the incoming youngsters, something that most fans wanted a couple of years go when it was wrongly introduced first in the then EL. We have to keep going with youth development to stock our teams in the future, and be less reliant on foreign riders and be stuck with too many DU's. You have to have an eye for the future.

• Like 7

It would help if I knew who you were?

He/she probably won't say

In addition it is making spaces in teams for the incoming youngsters, something that most fans wanted a couple of years go when it was wrongly introduced first in the then EL. We have to keep going with youth development to stock our teams in the future, and be less reliant on foreign riders and be stuck with too many DU's. You have to have an eye for the future.

I thin a limit of 42.5 and a rule saying at least 3/4 British riders, one being a 2.00 er would have been best, jsut imo, it would allow big names like Lambert, Cook and Nicholls maybe to bring in larger crowds but still having that new, young and British feel in each of the teams

I get what you are saying totally an Mountain in particular is a gamble Hume isnt.

I can only go on what i have seen and i doubt very much that any Ipswich fan would want Coles over Mountain or Hume.

But as i say i hope he does well for you. I like Newcastle and their fans and i hope you guys have a good season..........and finish second to us lol

I would personally have prefered Mountain over Coles, but Coles is who we've got and Coles is who I'll support :)

Mountain and Coles would have been ideal

The only 2.00 rider still available that would have been better than Danny would be Tom Stokes and Oliver Greenwood on 2.12 if he is still riding?

Edit: Sorry Greenwood wouldn't fit, I thought we were 0.19 under the limit, maybe the other Greenwood then? :P

Edited by Dandelion

I might be imagining this, but wasn't Danny Phillips given a 12 month suspension in 2014 that was on hold for 24 months? Doesn't that mean he should be suspended next year? :o I know I'm wrong but can somebody explain?

I might be imagining this, but wasn't Danny Phillips given a 12 month suspension in 2014 that was on hold for 24 months? Doesn't that mean he should be suspended next year? :o I know I'm wrong but can somebody explain?

If that's the case then I think it would mean that the suspension would happen if he committed another offence in the 24 months, when that 24 months is up then he has a clean slate

It would help if I knew who you were?

don't worry ill make a point of cming to see you in march as long as you can drag yourself of George

mr hanger on

don't worry ill make a point of cming to see you in march as long as you can drag yourself of George

mr hanger on

and by the way it was mrs English that told us that they were signing ricky wells

so she must of lost her marbles