British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2017

Would that only be an issue if you use riders who race on a Sunday, in your own team!! Surely they could not make us switch our race night just because it clashes with another countries race night. Would not want to go into the Elite League (sorry Premiership) anyway, has too many problems and I think the Championship is/was a better league.

Yes. Opposing teams won't want to come on a sunday if they are missing riders who are in Poland, or the night after a GP for those with riders in that. It's far more difficult getting to Newcastle from a GP (except Cardiff) than it is to Poland. If teams do come be prepared for lots of visiting guests!! Promotion and relegation. Dumb idea! Been tried twice and failed. It isn't even compulsory in Poland or Sweden so why here? At one time your stadium/facilities had to be of a certain standard for the top league.

• Like 1

Just think of the travel costs if promoted

We did consider it once, and that and the lack of travelling away fans killed the idea. Belle Vue our nearest derby, not a runner.

• Like 1

So I read in to that that Newcastle will not be looking for Promotion next year.

Quite right too.

Promotion/Relegation in Speedway is a daft idea to me.

I doubt that that will be the message the Promotion will be coming out with.

Quite right too.

I doubt that that will be the message the Promotion will be coming out with.

Quite right too.

And I don't think it will be even considered until we have won the playoffs. The TOON is 5 points in the lead and 9 points from the next team in the Championship, but Rafa will not be talking promotion. It's foolish and arrogant to get ahead of yourself, so if it happened, then it happens.

And if it costs you your Club in the long term..........................?

How do you know it would? Do you know the financial incentives for clubs moving up?

All I'm saying is that the Diamonds Promotion aren't going to say at the start of the season "we don't want to get promoted," as that's almost saying "if we reach the play-offs, don't bother turning up, because we are deliberately going to lose." Which makes the season a waste of time, apart from the Cup, for the fans who are only bothered about silverware, rather than just seeing top-notch speedway every week, come win, lose or draw.

And I don't think it will be even considered until we have won the playoffs. The TOON is 5 points in the lead and 9 points from the next team in the Championship, but Rafa will not be talking promotion. It's foolish and arrogant to get ahead of yourself, so if it happened, then it happens.

If I read it correctly, if you win the play-off, you are promoted, as that is what has been agreed, so, see my reply to The White Knight.

How do you know it would? Do you know the financial incentives for clubs moving up?

All I'm saying is that the Diamonds Promotion aren't going to say at the start of the season "we don't want to get promoted," as that's almost saying "if we reach the play-offs, don't bother turning up, because we are deliberately going to lose." Which makes the season a waste of time, apart from the Cup, for the fans who are only bothered about silverware, rather than just seeing top-notch speedway every week, come win, lose or draw.

How do you know it wouldn't? Are you prepared to take that chance with the future, or lack of future for your Club?

It could well be argued that the Season is a waste of time - it is only a qualifying system for the 'Play Offs' which are the only Meetings that really seem to matter. Doesn't matter if you win the League - you still have to go out and win it again.

But that is another argument.

If I read it correctly, if you win the play-off, you are promoted, as that is what has been agreed, so, see my reply to The White Knight.

And i said we would not think about promotion until it happens. I don't need to read TWK's post.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 2

I see the 'promotion/relagation' thing appealing to new, or newer fans,,, maybe get a bit more media coverage at the time, and some might 'relate' to it and come along and watch, wether they come back or not is a different matter.

Getting more fans thru the door is essencial to speedways survival, (long term). I think its a good idea, wether you 'throw' a match, or not at the time, wouldn't be that obvious to most 'new fans', if any do come ;)

Edited by ruffdiamond

Just to clarify this point. If you win the CHAMPIONSHIP playoff you win the league. There is then a PROMOTION/RELEGATION playoff against the bottom PREMIERSHIP team. The winner is in the Premiership. The loser in the championship. That's my understanding anyway.

Edited by leander
  • Like 1

Just to clarify this point. If you win the CHAMPIONSHIP playoff you win the league. There is then a PROMOTION/RELEGATION playoff against the bottom PREMIERSHIP team. The winner is in the Premiership. The loser in the championship. That's my understanding anyway.

That is correct. I should have made my point clearer. Too many play-offs!!

What happens if a rider whose team finishing top of div2 doubles up with a team who finishes bottom of div1 who does he ride for in promotion/relegation playoff??

the team that has the rider as an asset.

If neither then the team in the league that has that rider as an asset gets priority.