British Speedway Forum

Newcastle 2017

Sorry, but I can't see your logic in this. You've got to compare Lewis and Ashley with Lunna and Bewley. If Richie gets injured (2nd Heat leader by average) then Lawson and Summers will get two of his rides plus Lunna (4.9) and Bewley (3.9) getting the other two. If Steve is injured then Robert and Ludvig get two of the rides plus Lewis (6.1) and Ashley (4.98). I'd favour ours by miles.

Personally I'd expect Connor to match Jack Smith any day of the week. Both will struggle a bit if we were to lose Lewis or Ash and they were to lose Lunna or Bewley especially away. They will struggle more if they lost Perry than we would losing Connor or Danny. It's all ifs and buts tho. Hopefully everyone will get through relatively unscathed.

Apologies - I thought Richie was 3rd in their averages ........... replace Richie with Richard Lawson and its the same logic ............. the point Im making is apart from Sheffield I think the rest are unable to adequately cover r/r for their 3rd-4th or 5th riders

with the lower limit, most teams have squeezed the bottom to keep a strong top end because of heats 13 and 15 ... the downside is most r/r are covered by the lower riders

The only bit I understand is it is all ifs & buts and to be honest it is the only part that is relevant as the rest has more twists to it than a Xmas episode of Eastenders.

sadly its not if and buts .... the only thing that is truly guaranteed in speedway is injuries .............. sadly

So I have paid for my season ticket and season 2017 is coming. I have been critical of George English once or twice (Promoters have got to have thick skins) but really I think George should get a medal. In 2017 he will have been our main promoter and team manager for twenty unbroken years which in my view makes him Newcastle Speedways most successful Promoter of all time.

Johnnie Hoskins may have had more charisma but walked out on us in 1949.

Mike Parker brought us a league title and signed Ivan Mauger and Ole Olsen. he then walked away from us in 1969

Ian Thomas brought us the Owen Bros in 1975 and lots of success but he pulled the plug and ran away in 1984

Well done George you have stuck to the task and have never looked like "walking away" Hip Hip Hooray. I hope the 2017 team bring you some silverware in your 20th season. You deserve it

• Like 4

So I have paid for my season ticket and season 2017 is coming. I have been critical of George English once or twice (Promoters have got to have thick skins) but really I think George should get a medal. In 2017 he will have been our main promoter and team manager for twenty unbroken years which in my view makes him Newcastle Speedways most successful Promoter of all time.

Mike Parker brought us a league title and signed Ivan Mauger and Ole Olsen. he then walked away from us in 1969

Ian Thomas brought us the Owen Bros in 1975 and lots of success but he pulled the plug and ran away in 1984

Well done George you have stuck to the task and have never looked like "walking away" Hip Hip Hooray. I hope the 2017 team bring you some silverware in your 20th season. You deserve it

I think you are doing Ian Thomas a huge disservice to say he pulled the plug and ran away - in 1984 he openly admits he personally lost £40,000 and it just about ruined him. Anyone in that situation would "pull the plug"

Faced with that scenario - George would walk away!

Edited by Mad Max
  • Like 3

ah , ian thomas . newcastle and workington legend . ian has done more for speedway than a lot of managers have . i think he started the pairs rollin and a few other bits and bobs . almost forgot the G.B. T.M. thing . we wont see another promoter like him for another 20 odd years or so ..

well done to george for his loooong run . wonder if he has made any cash from it ? heres to another 20 years , if he can stick it that long .

I to think you are doing Ian Thomas a dis-service. He brought a lot of things including the Owen Brothers to Newcastle and always put on a show. Yes George has done great things for Newcastle but I think if faced with the same things as Ian, maybe he would walk away as well, not sure. Still think Ian was great for Newcastle and speedway in general, both him and Dave Younghusband knew a lot of the tricks of the trade!!

Still remember when he accused Scotty Nicholls of pushing him down the hill at Belle Vue I think. :rofl:

excellent attitude to have, as long as you've got irn bru and batter, you'll be fine ;)

Only attitude to have but Irn bru is as unhealthy as batter sorry to burst your bubble but that is an old Geordie urban myth that is what our staple diet consists off.

We sometimes have deep fried Mars Bars to off set the fat content in the above. :D

• Like 2

Great attitude to have toward the future of British speedway :t: Haha

Is it only me who finds next years team (the top 5 at least) comparable to the 2010 team?

1. Kenni Larsen = Robert Lambert

2. Derek Sneddon < Ashley Morris

3. Jason King > Lewis Rose

4. Rene Bach < Ludvig Lindgren

5. Mark Lemon > Steve Worrall

6. Dakota North < Danny Phillips

7. Adam McKinna > Connor Coles

Obviously Rene in 2010 is better than Ludvig in 2016 for example, but I feel that they all even themselves out (Top 5 anyway) Reserves are much weaker still

Feel like I'll make a lot of people angry with this one though :P

Great attitude to have toward the future of British speedway :t: Haha

Is it only me who finds next years team (the top 5 at least) comparable to the 2010 team?

1. Kenni Larsen = Robert Lambert

2. Derek Sneddon < Ashley Morris

3. Jason King > Lewis Rose

4. Rene Bach < Ludvig Lindgren

5. Mark Lemon > Steve Worrall

6. Dakota North < Danny Phillips

7. Adam McKinna > Connor Coles

Obviously Rene in 2010 is better than Ludvig in 2016 for example, but I feel that they all even themselves out (Top 5 anyway) Reserves are much weaker still

Feel like I'll make a lot of people angry with this one though :P

Eh. :o

Made it sound like yous lot didn't care about Robert's progress and future in 2017, that's all I'm saying :P

Nothing against Robert Lambert and it was slightly tongue in cheek and i hope he has a good season but your right I'm not that bothered how he does.

• Like 1