British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn Stars 2017

It's not just Simon's testimonial

It's the way meetings have been run since the return to the top league.

There certainly is far more faffing about than the PL days, it can only really be put down to trying to get the tills dinging through food and drink.

There have been times where intervals have dragged on for near 30mins when in truth no interval is required at all.

The race day schedule should be the same for all and fits in with TV too and be strictly adhered to by the clerk of the course and referee:

From Ht1 2mins to Ht2 2mins - 5mins

Ht2 - 5mins

Ht3 - 5mins

Ht4 - 5mins

Break - 5mins (adverts - track grade)

Ht5 - 5mins

Ht6 - 5mins

Ht7 - 5mins

Ht8 - 5mins

Ht9 - 5mins

Ht10 - 5mins

Ht11 - 5mins

Ht12 - 5mins

Ht13 - 5mins

Ht14 - 5mins

Ht15 - 10mins (Inc advert, heat line-up, track grade)

= 1hr35mins

Anyone could accept that, the obvious further delays come with the sport but when things go smoothly there's no need for meetings to go beyond that time scale.

Whilst, on paper, this is fine for the most part (proper interval is missing though). Some tracks even have a similar schedule (with exact times) in the pits, but they very, very rarely keep to them.

Crashes, exclusions, James Sarjeant, track issues, SKY BT, injuries, R/R (2 on a trot), electrical/tape issues, and so on nearly always have an impact on the timings over the course of a meeting.

• Like 1

Trees if you can get to Poole for 7.30 surely Saddlebow should be a walk in the park lol

Why are you getting there at 17.30 this week, are the gates even open at that time or are you helping out on the tractor ?

KLSSC responsibilities m8, we don't have supporters club fairies to set up lol

Whilst, on paper, this is fine for the most part (proper interval is missing though). Some tracks even have a similar schedule (with exact times) in the pits, but they very, very rarely keep to them.

Crashes, exclusions, James Sarjeant, track issues, SKY BT, injuries, R/R (2 on a trot), electrical/tape issues, and so on nearly always have an impact on the timings over the course of a meeting.

Proper interval is missing for a reason, it's not needed.

TV is the reason for how I've set the schedule and every meeting should run the same.

Other things can't be helped with delays, that part and parcel.

The thing that grates is when run smoothly, once the previous heats riders have left the track why is the 2mins not always on straight away? No excuse for that.

• Like 1

Proper interval is missing for a reason, it's not needed.

TV is the reason for how I've set the schedule and every meeting should run the same.

Other things can't be helped with delays, that part and parcel.

The thing that grates is when run smoothly, once the previous heats riders have left the track why is the 2mins not always on straight away? No excuse for that.

To allow for track grading if there is any material on the track ....

That works both ways the longer they draw it out could mean fans stop going me for one and I no others who feel the same -

We won't go back again which is a shame as Kings Lynn is one of the few tracks left that allow dogs. The last meeting we went to didn't even start until 8.10pm due to the low sun and although there was this yellow thing in the sky delaying the start there was a bitterly cold wind. I can't remember the exact details now but I think it was heat 11 when Puk had both Coventry riders off on the first bend so there was another lengthy delay while they went back to the pits to sort their machinery out. The sensible thing to do would be to use that time as the interval but no they had it after the race was over. Add all the tractor laps and it was a long night standing around.

I can't believe the amount of moaning about the times .. it was only Simon's testimonial so far this season and as I said testimonials will always take longer, when the team meetings start it will be back to normal

Yes, but what is 'back to normal'? Judging by our experience umpteen laps by the tractor, sun breaks and seemingly no rush between races to get on with things.

• Like 2

We won't go back again which is a shame as Kings Lynn is one of the few tracks left that allow dogs. The last meeting we went to didn't even start until 8.10pm due to the low sun and although there was this yellow thing in the sky delaying the start there was a bitterly cold wind. I can't remember the exact details now but I think it was heat 11 when Puk had both Coventry riders off on the first bend so there was another lengthy delay while they went back to the pits to sort their machinery out. The sensible thing to do would be to use that time as the interval but no they had it after the race was over. Add all the tractor laps and it was a long night standing around.

Yes, but what is 'back to normal'? Judging by our experience umpteen laps by the tractor, sun breaks and seemingly no rush between races to get on with things.

sadly there isn't much that can be done about the sun but start 7.30 if they get 4 races in and the sun becomes a problem then have an interval not wait for first race 8pm come out to the start then realise the sun is an issue . One point on the sun problem the track hasn't moved over the years I don't remember delays becuse of the sun in Terry Betts Simmo Mike Lee Dave Jessup days .

I can't believe the amount of moaning about the times .. it was only Simon's testimonial so far this season and as I said testimonials will always take longer, when the team meetings start it will be back to normal

perhaps you dont go to speedway after a long day at work and have to be up early the next morning - all I'm asking for is more urgency to get on with meetings and I see none .
  • Like 1

To allow for track grading if there is any material on the track ....

I personally think he grades to much, and it can be to the detriment of the racing. Every four heats should be plenty. Have a slightly longer one after heat 8 so people can get a cup of tea and have a pee, but no longer than fifteen minutes. Get the two minutes on promptly for the other heats and the meetings won't drag on unless of course the sun delays the start which unfortunately nothing can be done about.

• Like 2

Agreed. Maybe the ref should be fined every time he fails to do this :P

The last meeting we went to didn't even start until 8.10pm due to the low sun and although there was this yellow thing in the sky delaying the start there was a bitterly cold wind. I can't remember the exact details now but I think it was heat 11 when Puk had both Coventry riders off on the first bend so there was another lengthy delay while they went back to the pits to sort their machinery out. The sensible thing to do would be to use that time as the interval but no they had it after the race was over.

Come on Gemini when have you ever known speedway and sensible to go together

. One point on the sun problem the track hasn't moved over the years I don't remember delays becuse of the sun in Terry Betts Simmo Mike Lee Dave Jessup days .

Me neither. Maybe it was those old style helmets that used to have peaks on the front that stopped the sun dazzle :P

• Like 3

I personally think he grades to much, and it can be to the detriment of the racing. Every four heats should be plenty. Have a slightly longer one after heat 8 so people can get a cup of tea and have a pee, but no longer than fifteen minutes. Get the two minutes on promptly for the other heats and the meetings won't drag on unless of course the sun delays the start which unfortunately nothing can be done about.

All I know is what I've been told, that grading smooths the track of ripples (berms) whatever you like to call them that are created during a race. Obviously the gripper and deeper a track the more you get these. So grading smooths these which can potentially be a danger, it obviously helps stop all the material from ending up at the fence which is another danger if riders get in it, particularly these days.

Huggy used to grade after every heat when the track was deep and his tracks were legendary.

As a straw poll on here indicates that most people want meetings to be run much more crisply on a regular basis so why are the KL promotion ( and others ) not listening when the gaps on the terraces are all too visible? I emailed the promotion about a range of small things which could result in an improvement ( at their request for feedback in the programme ) in 2015 and 2016 and did not even get an acknowledgement which might indicate that they are very busy with more important things or that they do not want to hear suggestions that might help to stop the worrying drain of fans from the sport. If is is a "head in the sand" attitude then the demise of the sport is much more likely, as the world is changing around "old style speedway" and leaving it behind. All very sad.

• Like 1

As a straw poll on here indicates that most people want meetings to be run much more crisply on a regular basis so why are the KL promotion ( and others ) not listening when the gaps on the terraces are all too visible? I emailed the promotion about a range of small things which could result in an improvement ( at their request for feedback in the programme ) in 2015 and 2016 and did not even get an acknowledgement which might indicate that they are very busy with more important things or that they do not want to hear suggestions that might help to stop the worrying drain of fans from the sport. If is is a "head in the sand" attitude then the demise of the sport is much more likely, as the world is changing around "old style speedway" and leaving it behind. All very sad.

Because the promotion does not care about the fans and does not listen to them, club has gone down since Jonathan Chapman left. he use to be on the track telling his dad to get the tractor off the track to keep the show going. You will not see Dale or Rob do this I guarantee. Jonathan use to have flare ups with his dad over his dad wanting to keep going round in the tractor but Jonathan knew how to put on a show and what the fans wanted. And still does shame he is not envoled anymore

• Like 2

Simple take your speedway clothes to work in a bag, change when you finish and eat at or near the stadium.

Exactly​ what i do. Would take me well over an extra hour to go home first as it's the wrong direction for me.

And punters would soon learn to get there early if they missed a race due to long queues, although a few more entrance tills wouldn't go amiss!

Come on guys. Enough with the negative stuff. After 6 long cold dark months Speedway is back tomorrow tonight. New number one, future world number one. What's not to like ?

Let's have a good old moan from Thursday onwards. Until then let's get some positive spin on things.

Bloody hell in starting to sound like Trees lol

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

Have Lynn announced season ticket prices yet. Just looked on the official site and cannot find anything. Last re season tickets is in latest news dated Mar 28th. Maybe they aren't doing season tickets this year :neutral:

Do you want to buy one?

Do you want to buy one?

No but I know someone who might and they asked if I knew how much they were. Maybe I shouldn't bother trying to find out for them ;)

EDIT

Yeah they have just tweeted with season ticket prices.....one day before the season starts - well 32 hours to be precise

Edited by Star Lady