British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Johnnie Chamberlain at 4ft 9ins must surely be the smallest rider ever?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150147809132785&set=a.10150144289657785.323814.550797784&type=3&theater

Edited by Gemini

As I recall Tiddler always had trouble getting out of the gate. Being as there wasn't much of him he use to spin up at the gate when he dropped the Clutch and seemed to hang on with as much weight over the front of the bike to keep it down. Always good value, and a full throttle type of guy. Good Third heat leader/ first 2nd string in the team consisting of Lee, Betts and Hellsen.

As I recall Tiddler always had trouble getting out of the gate. Being as there wasn't much of him he use to spin up at the gate when he dropped the Clutch and seemed to hang on with as much weight over the front of the bike to keep it down. Always good value, and a full throttle type of guy. Good Third heat leader/ first 2nd string in the team consisting of Lee, Betts and Hellsen.

Rohan Tungate has a similar gating style. Leans over the handlebars more than others to get the required traction. Speaking with other riders, they do say that being small/light is a definite advantage for a speedway rider

What I would say is that if they are small in stature, then they sure need to be tough into the first turn. I can recall Leigh Adams 'dealing ' with Bjerre rather uncompromisingly at Blunsdon a few times.

Billy Bales still lives in Hellesdon, 5 minutes from the site of the old Firs Stadium. He is 87 years old now. Many years ago after he retired from speedway, he ran a car repair business not far from his home, and used to look after my car for me. Lovely bloke.

Edited by Superstars

Does anyone know if any of the rumoured track changes over the winter (i.e. to improve the racing) are still on the cards for 2017?

I recall someone mentioning potential shale changes were being looked into.

Probably in an ideal existence changing the shale would be advantageous for better speedway racing, but in the real world, where costs are paramount, the shale has to be able to used by the Stock Cars as well. Swapping the topping depending on the event has to be really excessive .

From all accounts, Lynn is one of the few tracks that are viably run, so if, by using the substandard shale allows the track to operate, and we can continue to have a club to support then I for one won't be complaining.....

Does anyone know if any of the rumoured track changes over the winter (i.e. to improve the racing) are still on the cards for 2017?

I recall someone mentioning potential shale changes were being looked into.

Been with Buster today. He has removed all the old shale down to the base and when he is not swearing about the weather, is replacing it with new shale. Needs to go down dry and stay dry to pack it. Track will be very good and all looking forward to the start of the season

• Like 3

Probably in an ideal existence changing the shale would be advantageous for better speedway racing, but in the real world, where costs are paramount, the shale has to be able to used by the Stock Cars as well. Swapping the topping depending on the event has to be really excessive .

From all accounts, Lynn is one of the few tracks that are viably run, so if, by using the substandard shale allows the track to operate, and we can continue to have a club to support then I for one won't be complaining.....

You mention that "Having sub-standard shale" helps to keep the club operating.. or words to that effect... How many Speedway supporters have abandoned the Speedway because of this?

How much gate money has been sacrificed? How many paying adults now do not attend Speedway racing at Saddlebow Rd per meeting? 100? 200? 300? 400?

Just say for the purpose of costings you've lost 200 paying adults per meeting..... at say £30 per fan, taking into account stadium admission, 1 programme, 1 food, 2 drinks, that equates per meeting, lost revenue of £6,000!!

That's just at 200 lost fans, so a drop in crowd from 1,600 to 1,400, not taking into account any additional children, and their mates.....

You telling me that you could not remove and swap the top racing surface for less than £6,000 per meeting??

That would surely be a no-brainer, or have Lynn, riding on sub-standard shale, providing sub-standard Speedway racing, actually hasn't effected the crowd levels that much? Even losing half that, 100 paying adults would cost £3,000 loss in meeting revenue..!!

Can someone explain the true cost of a shale swap between cars and Speedway per meeting? Can't be £3,000 per pop? Even including some new shale, and labour?

Edited by Shale Searcher

You mention that "Having sub-standard shale" helps to keep the club operating.. or words to that effect... How many Speedway supporters have abandoned the Speedway because of this?

How much gate money has been sacrificed? How many paying adults now do not attend Speedway racing at Saddlebow Rd per meeting? 100? 200? 300? 400?

Just say for the purpose of costings you've lost 200 paying adults per meeting..... at say £30 per fan, taking into account stadium admission, 1 programme, 1 food, 2 drinks, that equates per meeting, lost revenue of £6,000!!

That's just at 200 lost fans, so a drop in crowd from 1,600 to 1,400, not taking into account any additional children, and their mates.....

You telling me that you could not remove and swap the top racing surface for less than £6,000 per meeting??

That would surely be a no-brainer, or have Lynn, riding on sub-standard shale, providing sub-standard Speedway racing, actually hasn't effected the crowd levels that much? Even losing half that, 100 paying adults would cost £3,000 loss in meeting revenue..!!

Can someone explain the true cost of a shale swap between cars and Speedway per meeting? Can't be £3,000 per pop? Even including some new shale, and labour?

Sometimes the top dressing at Lynn is very good , other times it's pretty poor. I know nothing of the cost or the volume of shale a track needs to be able to answer your questions, When I have spoken to Buster on the subject in the past, he has said that any top dressing has to be useable for both Stock Car and Speedway. Changing the topping for each meeting would create many problems.

Like I say, I know nothing about track preparation and have to take Buster's word. He obviously knows his job and has accessed the financial implications , why should he lie about it....