British Speedway Forum

King's Lynn Stars 2017

Nice to hear from Mike Bennett again,Am sure he will make a good job of his interview with DARCY. Boy how I miss him at Lynn .

Agreed he has never been replaced and is sorely missed.

How can he make anything but a good job of this.... he has the perfect face for Radio ;)

• Like 1

Agreed he has never been replaced and is sorely missed.

How can he make anything but a good job of this.... he has the perfect face for Radio ;)

I have to say that, for me, speedway has never been the same since MB left. He really did add so much to a meeting. Natural talent for the position. :D

• Like 1

Dick Barrie's lovechild is certainly a big miss. Not everyone's cuppa tea, but the dross Buster has served up since makes you realise what you are missing.

Surely there must be some one out there who could whip up a bit of interest on race night. ?

If only it was that easy. Having travelled to most venues, we were fortunate to have MB he was as good as they come. Replacing such talent was always going to be difficult. I don't blame Buster because there are not many out there to find. We need someone with and in-depth knowledge of the sport (that's the easy part) but someone who is confident and has an appealing personality on the mic. (No doubt there are a few of them about as well, but to find someone who has both attributes is unbelievably hard)....

Without doubt MB was the best of them all.......

• Like 1

If only it was that easy. Having travelled to most venues, we were fortunate to have MB he was as good as they come. Replacing such talent was always going to be difficult. I don't blame Buster because there are not many out there to find. We need someone with and in-depth knowledge of the sport (that's the easy part) but someone who is confident and has an appealing personality on the mic. (No doubt there are a few of them about as well, but to find someone who has both attributes is unbelievably hard)....

I don't think knowledge of the sport is all that important at all.

Knowledge about the here & now of King's Lynn's current set up is all that's required.

A good modern sense of humour is also a requirement and being able to hold a crowd.

Thing is, as good as micman was half the time he couldn't be heard because of the tractors & or failing sound system.

personally it's something I'd love to have a go at myself but I think I'd just panic & freeze standing out there in the middle

obviously a no 7 that can do more than just make the numbers up is the aim but on the average that's available i think we will be very lucky to find a no7 that will score freely - I still think the position will be changed once the averages change .

Imo I can't see any of the top teams being able to just swap their no7 for someone better when the new averages come out because if the new team limit is around the 41/42 mark you would have to have had a disasterous start to the season to be 2 to 3pts under that. I would think they would have to set the limit to about 45 for any team to make a significant change. I'll be very disappointed if our team total isn't above 42 after 8 meetings.

We need someone with and in-depth knowledge of the sport (that's the easy part) but someone who is confident and has an appealing personality on the mic. (No doubt there are a few of them about as well, but to find someone who has both attributes is unbelievably hard)....

Peter York might be looking for a job soon. :wink:

• Like 1

I don't think knowledge of the sport is all that important at all.

Knowledge about the here & now of King's Lynn's current set up is all that's required.

Lynn first replacement, after MB had gone, made a mockery of that statement. He knew all about Kings Lynn from his Stack Car days but knew sod all about speedway. He was happy to call the riders by the wrong names and get excited over very little... Fortunately he didn't last very long....

Pleased to see Batchelor is continuing to impress in his native land. He top scored in the heats of Rd3 in the Aussie Championship only to lose out in the final. This form has to bode well for the coming season and show those doubters that form is only temporary whereas skill is more permanent ..

Congratulations also to Justin Sedgmen , not only for leading the point charts but also showing those who doubted him, what a fine prospect he really is..,

Pleased to see Batchelor is continuing to impress in his native land. He top scored in the heats of Rd3 in the Aussie Championship only to lose out in the final. This form has to bode well for the coming season and show those doubters that form is only temporary whereas skill is more permanent ..

Congratulations also to Justin Sedgmen , not only for leading the point charts but also showing those who doubted him, what a fine prospect he really is..,

Yes it's great to see Troy doing well in the Aussie championship let's hope he can bring that form back to England with him if he does we will take some stopping (if we can stay injury free)

from memory he was still about 5.5 when he packed in...

If he was on 5.5 would he not have his average reduced because of injury and retirement and also a reduction for being English

I would say 3.3 Would be about right think he would then fit in at no 7 lol

Lynn first replacement, after MB had gone, made a mockery of that statement. He knew all about Kings Lynn from his Stack Car days but knew sod all about speedway. He was happy to call the riders by the wrong names and get excited over very little... Fortunately he didn't last very long....

See what you did there, take a small snippet of my post to suit your argument.

Do you need knowledge of the sport to be a Speedway presenter? NO

If you'd copied my whole post you would have seen "A good modern sense of humour is also a requirement and being able to hold a crowd."

The guy that Buster brought in as a replacement failed on those points rather than a lack of knowledge.

He just got on everybody's t!ts with his shouting & every week dragged the same 2 supporters on the track for score predictions.

I don't think there's one presenter out tnere who doesn't get riders names wrong.

Speedway experts on the TV fluff that up quite regularly.

Was Bennetts background Radio ? Maybe Bustet could tempt a Body from KLFM to give it a go. Gift of the gab would get you a long way. The nuts n bolts of the Sport they could pick up along the way. Or How about Mark Herle ? Does a lot of interviewers at The Football Club and Radio Norfolkk think he likes his Speedway.

Edited by semion
  • Like 1