British Speedway Forum

Scorpions 2017

Andreas Lyager - does his job now allow him to come back, what average would he be on? still an assessed 7 ?

Ian; I like Lyager but I don't think it is the right time for him. We need almost an instant fix to reignite the season; and for me that has to be a complete change of direction with the team. A pukka No1 rider to go against the opposition No1's Kennett would be a great choice; and I would go for Manzeres who has put himself in the shop window for a PL/CL team spot. Those two really up our game; but beside Wilko who else is leaving ? #NoLoveIsland

If we are going down the route of a strong no1, it's worked for Berwick with Morris, then a top sacrifice has to be made. Bringing in a rider of the calibre of Bellego(8.65) or Kennett(8.15) means bringing in a 4.00/4.50 point rider of possibly Jacobs or Wallner. With our team average of 38.99 this means losing 1 of either Toft, Kerr or Auty to fit in 2 new riders.

On to Sundays performance. There was some excitement but also embarrassing in that away riders can show our guys how to ride the EWR. Richie did an excellent job protecting Bewley in front by changing lines to keep Auty at bay in heat 7. The use of the t/r on Wilko was definitely strange at the time but understand the reason as, yes, it is a heat he should be winning. In heat 9 Auty & Douglas again swapping lines on laps 3 & 4 nearly taking each other out gifting points away, GET IT SORTED. In heat 13 it was a typical EWR race in trying to pass riders in front but also needing to protect the pass from behind. Again, a team talk was missing as 1 rider should have rode the inside line & 1 the outside meaning the rider in front (Lawson) has to look over both shoulders to keep both Scorpions at bay & making it harder for Summers to have a blast on the last 2 laps around the outside. 10 last places in 14 heats does not help the team get a result either.

• Like 1

I hope we sign Lyager back think he has so much potential and look what he's doing in the world U-21'a, he will make a mockery of his assessed 7 and become a full asset as well

I wouldn't mind Luke Becker as the other, looked good in the SWC winning a race against some top opponents and would come in on a 5

• Like 1

Guest Scunny2012

I work out that Scunny have 6.13 left?

1 Toft 7.09

2 Douglas 5.73

3 Auty 6.64

4 ??

5 Kerr 6.82

6 Aarnio 4.98

7 Bailey 2.61

6.13 left

But if there is more than one rider being let go, as already hinted in press release, it could be a lot more points to play with........

Difficult choices if another rider is released, could be any of Kerr Auty Douglas and Toft but personally I don't think any of these should be replaced although it might be taken out of Scunny's hands for next year if Douglas doesn't reach a 7point average or finish in the top 4 in his Aussie round.

Definately Scunny need a no 1 to mix it with the best and I believe that Stefen Nielsen but for injury could have challenged for that spot.

Difficult choices if another rider is released, could be any of Kerr Auty Douglas and Toft but personally I don't think any of these should be replaced although it might be taken out of Scunny's hands for next year if Douglas doesn't reach a 7point average or finish in the top 4 in his Aussie round.

Definately Scunny need a no 1 to mix it with the best and I believe that Stefen Nielsen but for injury could have challenged for that spot.

U avin a laff

Stefan Nielsen at number 1? The hell you even saying? I like Stefan... But just no, unless he's challenging for number 1 next year in the NL? lol

Edited by Dandelion

Guest Scunny2012

Stefan Nielsen at number 1? The hell you even saying? I like Stefan... But just no, unless he's challenging for number 1 next year in the NL? lol

Not as daft as you might think as you only have to average 7 tops to be Scunny no 1 and the only home match before injury he scored paid 12, maybe phrased it wrong ,not saying he would have been a top no 1 rider just that with all the others underachieving probably wouldn't have done much worse.

Edited by Scunny2012

Not as daft as you might think as you only have to average 7 tops to be Scunny no 1 and the only home match before injury he scored paid 12, maybe phrased it wrong ,not saying he would have been a top no 1 rider just that with all the others underachieving probably wouldn't have done much worse.

I think the real Mrs Brown would say " that's nice now feck off ". Come on honestly if he got to NO1 do you believe Scunthorpe would be any better than what they've been doing already.

I agree, maybe he COULD be Scunthorpe's number 1, maybe by this time next year if they stuck with the same riders and he rode well... But Stefan wouldn't be a good number 1 rider, with all due respect to him, he'd barely make a 7 point average if he rode well from now on for at least a year I'd say...

Kenny Wennerstam is seeking a position in the UK. Surely this should be a 'no brainer' for Scunthorpe as he would become their asset too!!!

We probably should not be taking gambles on complete unknowns. This team change has to bring in proven ready to roll re-enforcements otherwise I cannot see the point of it. Kennett for me; I thought about him being a Southern based rider; then reminded myself he used to trek up to Berwick so commitments permitting Scunny would be a breeze.

Walner, Nielsen, Lyager, yes i know they don't fit, I don't do the averages mathematics.

Will the real Josh Bailey please stand up.

I've asked before why teams don't practice more and race each other.

I was at the press and practice, think it was last year, the only rider i saw giving it some beans round the outside was Thomas Jorgensen, he wasn't even in the team last year.

Maybe he should be.

Press & practice is basically having a spin on a slick, untraceable track in front of a few fans.

The track SHOULD be prepared similar to race conditions & riders go out in their pairings.

So basically, a waste of time!!!!