British Speedway Forum

Coventry V Lakeside/lakeside V Coventry 19th & 20th August

I know it rained there a bit but they were lucky to get that meeting through, there was some big storms around yesterday evening but thankfully Lakeside avoided the worst of them, Met office said it wasn't going to rain, they got that well and truly wrong again.

There are a lot of things that are unfair together with many problems to be sorted at all league levels in the UK be it National Development, Premier or Elite that, whist realistically nothing can be done about them at this stage in terms of this season, will require much discussion and agreement during the upcoming close season in order to put in place solutions and required changes in readiness for the start of next season. I would imagine that behind-the-scenes discussions have already been started to work towards those goals.

I fully accept what you've asked playing Devil's Advocate but doing likewise myself I could ask if it was unfair in view of last Friday's postponement, for Lakeside's management looking likely to have to agree to return to Brandon this coming Friday without Andreas Jonsson and Richard Lawson primarily because Coventry are rapidly running out of dates to get their home fixtures done.

Spotted you in the distance from were I was sitting up on the clubhouse bar's veranda and have got to ask have you had your hair dyed blondish as appeared to be the case! :lol::wink: Cheers, Bryn.

And who will be missing from the Coventry line up on Friday? :cry:

As for my hair colour? Obviously silver + shale red = blondish! :lol: (Because I'm worth it!)

Never before seen riders having to wear goggles just to watch a race!

As for my hair colour? Obviously silver + shale red = blondish! :lol: (Because I'm worth it!)

Exactly. Yes Lakeside are missing AJ and Lawson but Coventry are also missing Kaspazak and Harris

"european championships" should absolutely be recognised by british speedway, bad call(remember we were the only major european speedway country to fiercely oppose the introduction of the grand prixs how clever was that?)teams have to have facilitys .more important in my opinion is that we should aim to have gb participants in these competitions, dont know what the qualification is to be in the "qualifiers" but it would be great to get lambert,cook ,ellis garrity ,bates etc in with a chance of making the main event and a chance for them to showcase and get an overseas contract

• Like 1

The Met Office had warned of heavier than normal wind strength progressing from west to east throughout the day/evening and seeing as the pits area at Lakeside is at the eastern end of the circuit it was always going to be the case that any dust generated by that above normal wind strength as it gradually dried out the considerable amount of shale that is put on the circuit nowadays at the riders request in between further waterings and gradings throughout the match. Had the pits been situated anywhere else, which to my knowledge they never have been, the riders / mechanics / team managers et al wouldn't have got dust in their eyes!

Despite facing such a weakened Bees side, there were some good races last night, and Eddie and Kim had to really work very hard for their paid maximums. Eddie's last lap outside pass of Garrity to win heat 9, having trailed back in third place, was worth the price of admission alone - and of braving the wind and rain on the Arena terraces! AJ would surely have had a full max but for a strange start of heat 13 when he jumped out but immediately stopped expecting a re-run - did he think the tapes went up unevenly? Even Rob Mear looked a lot more determined and on the pace than of late, although in one of a couple of tough battles with the fast starting James Sarjeant, the home man was perhaps a little lucky not to be the one excluded after a particularly determined second bend 'coming together'.

No doubt the crowd was affected by the absence of Coventry's No 1 as well as the August evening masquerading as mid winter, but those who didn't venture out missed a decent evening's speedway entertainment in my opinion. And that on a track that because of the fear of rain Gerald was unable to prepare as he would normally.

One last question though, regarding heat 15.

My understanding was that only one of a team's top four scorers could appear in this heat.

When Rob Branford - who incidentally rode his socks off and was several times on the pace - was announced, I though I heard the announcer say that he was allowed "because he took KK's average'! Can this be true? A National League rider, scoring understandably 1+1 in the number one race jacket, gets in because he replaces a GP rider with an average of 8?!!

Some might say this is another instance of cheating the paying public - although to be fair to Rob, he was in third spot and chasing the home pair hard until he let the British Champion through on the final bend!

Exactly. Yes Lakeside are missing AJ and Lawson but Coventry are also missing Kaspazak and Harris

So normally, to prevent moans galore on this forum and elsewhere that both the teams for the match were below strength, a new date for when they were would be found and agreed to but with Coventry running out of such dates (and hampered by not being able to use their venue next week) it's something of a head scratcher isn't it? :shock:

Had, on 21 Aug 2016 - 4:40 PM, said:Had, on 21 Aug 2016 - 4:40 PM, said:

No but is guaranteed to be crap and most importantly dirt cheap, our guests always are and they wonder why people don't turn up..!!!

Perhaps the Coventry Promotion will take this into consideration & make a reduction in admission prices & try to attract a larger crowd .

Edited by BANANAMAN

Perhaps the Coventry Promotion will take this into consideration & make a reduction in admission prices & try to attract a larger crowd .

Then you'll have the season ticket holders moaning that they're losing out again. Can't win whatever they do.

Despite facing such a weakened Bees side, there were some good races last night, and Eddie and Kim had to really work very hard for their paid maximums. Eddie's last lap outside pass of Garrity to win heat 9, having trailed back in third place, was worth the price of admission alone - and of braving the wind and rain on the Arena terraces! AJ would surely have had a full max but for a strange start of heat 13 when he jumped out but immediately stopped expecting a re-run - did he think the tapes went up unevenly? Even Rob Mear looked a lot more determined and on the pace than of late, although in one of a couple of tough battles with the fast starting James Sarjeant, the home man was perhaps a little lucky not to be the one excluded after a particularly determined second bend 'coming together'.

No doubt the crowd was affected by the absence of Coventry's No 1 as well as the August evening masquerading as mid winter, but those who didn't venture out missed a decent evening's speedway entertainment in my opinion. And that on a track that because of the fear of rain Gerald was unable to prepare as he would normally.

One last question though, regarding heat 15.

My understanding was that only one of a team's top four scorers could appear in this heat.

When Rob Branford - who incidentally rode his socks off and was several times on the pace - was announced, I though I heard the announcer say that he was allowed "because he took KK's average'! Can this be true? A National League rider, scoring understandably 1+1 in the number one race jacket, gets in because he replaces a GP rider with an average of 8?!!

Some might say this is another instance of cheating the paying public - although to be fair to Rob, he was in third spot and chasing the home pair hard until he let the British Champion through on the final bend!

Yes, in heat 11 AJ said he thought the tapes went up unevenly.

Unfortunate about the track. Jon Cook did apologise to the fans, and said it was getting difficult to know which weather forecasters to trust these days. I checked BBC weather in the morning and it said heavy showers from about 7 pm. We did actually have about 3 short showers during the meeting but they were quite light and as the track had been deliberately under watered in anticipation of heavy showers there was not enough rain to dampen the dust.

Re the Mear/Sarjeant episode, Gary Havelock never phoned the referee to complain so presumably he or his rider never thought Mear never touched him.

Yes it's correct about Branford. He was to all intents and purposes standing in KK's shoes and on his average hence he was in the No1 race jacket.

Kennet's passes round the outside in the last few meetings have been brilliant. He must be due to move up to hearleader anytime now.

Edited by Daytripper

Confused as to Woryna (or whatever his name is) being declared to ride for Coventry at Brandon on Friday night, but considered injured for the Saturday meeting at lakeside using an injury from LAST weekend. More manipulation of this ever increasing and far from credible "sport".

Sad state of affairs. The rules may allow it, but in my book, it is cheating. Needs for a management committee to have some "balls" and put right the many wrongs in the sport. Alas, they happy taking the urine and more importantly the money and running.

Apparently Woryna didn't leave Poland this weekend so wouldn't have been at Brandon on Friday either. Not that they told the paying public.

It's what i was told but don't know for certain. His Facebook was very quiet. Scored 8 for Rybnik today.

Edited by woz01