British Speedway Forum

Berwick V Somerset

Unless the track is covered now I doubt they will save this meeting, been raining now for a while and forecast to rain most of the night. Tomorrows forecast doesn't look crash hot either.

Last thing we need is Somerset rained off looking at forecast 8pm start might get meeting done and dusted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655819?day=1

Unless the track is covered now I doubt they will save this meeting, been raining now for a while and forecast to rain most of the night. Tomorrows forecast doesn't look crash hot either.

Last thing we need is Somerset rained off looking at forecast 8pm start might get meeting done and dusted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655819?day=1

Looks like its going to be a loooooong weekend for the few of us who have made the trip up for Somerset's Northern Tour!

I'll apologise on behalf of all of us northerners, wa weathers no too good lyk, th pannys stopped plashin doon th now tho, fingas crossed fo some gate an go the morra cus cookies no there

Damned if you hang on and see what the weather brings, or damned if you call it off early and go with the forecast, with the rain yesterday afternoon and evening and a poor forecast for this afternoon I think this will prove to be the right decision.

• Like 2

With Somerset`s meeting at Edinburgh last night being called off I`m sure they would be keen to re-arrange our meeting and the Edinburgh one on consecutive nights, or as Edinburgh`s alternative race day is a Saturday how about two meetings in one day, Saturday afternoon Armadale, Saturday night Berwick. Clubs, who are looking for a play off place might need consider things like that to make the cut off date, or maybe the cut off date could be pushed back.

• Like 1

With Somerset`s meeting at Edinburgh last night being called off I`m sure they would be keen to re-arrange our meeting and the Edinburgh one on consecutive nights, or as Edinburgh`s alternative race day is a Saturday how about two meetings in one day, Saturday afternoon Armadale, Saturday night Berwick. Clubs, who are looking for a play off place might need consider things like that to make the cut off date, or maybe the cut off date could be pushed back.

I think the cutoff date has already been moved back once screm. With both Somerset's meetings being called off, I wonder if there was any mileage in Somerset doing a double header at Newcastle along with Peterborough tomorrow, and us getting two other teams on Sun 4th Sept when Somerset are planned to be at Brough. Just a thought. Would seriously brake into the number of outstanding home meetings to be run at Brough, in addition to the meeting now on Mon 12th Sept after the PLRC.

EDIT. Just realised that Somerset are riding at Glasgow on Sunday. Damn.

Edited by Tsunami

covers not worked then or too much rain ?

Doesn't matter weather covers are down or not it has to stop raining first before they can lift them and racing can start

• Like 4

One Berwick rider who was racing last night was Leon Flint, he was racing in Round 7 of the 250cc Youth Championships at Eastbourne, where he won to extend his lead at the top of the current standings.

One Berwick rider who is going places.

• Like 4

To many variables to sing the praises of covers,IMO

Track covers are not a miracle cure-all. When there is rain on the day of a meeting, but forecast to clear by evening, they work -- two meetings have been staged this season which would not otherwise have gone ahead. 100% success rate.

Yesterday's meeting faced a terrible forecast for the afternoon and evening, plus a football match, and was not a situation for covers to be deployed.

• Like 2

Track covers are not a miracle cure-all. When there is rain on the day of a meeting, but forecast to clear by evening, they work -- two meetings have been staged this season which would not otherwise have gone ahead. 100% success rate.

Yesterday's meeting faced a terrible forecast for the afternoon and evening, plus a football match, and was not a situation for covers to be deployed.

And it hammered it down Friday night,

Even if covers had been laid Friday afternoon before the rain came I doubt they would've saved this meeting as it rained well into the evening last night meaning we would never had got anything like 15 heats. I take Fromafar`s point about covers but they do come to the rescue of some meetings and more clubs should be looking at them as they help to avoid the situation we have now where clubs are forced to run financial crippling double headers or run meetings on off nights just to try and make the cut off date. Only problem could be where clubs are the tenants and their stadium owners aren't keen for covers to be on the speedway track.

• Like 1