British Speedway Forum

Another Week Without Elite League Speedway On Sky!

SKY Website is stating Lakeside vs Swindon next week - which is surprising news to all Lakeside fans!!!!

And Swindon fans and possibly management, the change of date is not even on the website yet, but glad they are showing it even though the racing is usually not very good there.

So has the BV v Poole been removed from the Sky listings? Gutted if it is.

Yes, now listing has Lakeside - Swindon

http://www.skysports.com/watch/speedway-on-sky

It seems sky has screwed up and got the wrong meeting on its What to watch website. It is being reported that the Lakeside - Swindon meeting has NOT been moved to mon 12th, and twitter from sky says still showing BV - Poole. Have no idea why sky want to show Poole two weeks running.

Thank god for that, the thought of onion and his Ouija board being right doesn't bear thinking about.

I heard conflicting reports last night which suggested sky didn't want to show belle Vue v poole (I can't think why?) but 'someone' at the bspa said they weren't prepared to move the lakeside meeting and both sides are digging their heels in.

So we could end up with any meeting being shown or non at all.

Depending on the Belle Vue Swindon result, Lakeside v Swindon could be a play off decider. I am assuming that is the reason.

Could well be and this meeting is far more important than BV Poole, not only that they are showing Poole this wed.

Who knows?

Come on onion, get that Ouija board out again.

He sees his predictions in the bottom of a bowl of noodles :D

Sanity prevails and the Lakeside v Swindon meeting remains as planned. Monday was never viable with both No. 1's likely to be missing and Kim Nilsson all involved in Swedish play-offs.

Good. Incidentally, Belle Vue could be missing Fricke and Nicholls and Wolves, Lindgren for the same reason although Nilsson's team, Masarna, have not reached the play-offs. If the match is Friday then I am not sure which Swindon team will show up. Somerset have the 16th scheduled for the first round on the PL play-offs. They have no opponents listed yet though.

Edited by tocha

Has British Speedway really become the second class citizens of the sport , just living off the scraps & being an after though for riders ?

you could be right...i dont know exactly, but ....we (uk) probably jhave more leagues, more meetings..

more riders than the rest of all the other speedway countries put together..if the uk did not keep it going in the 50s.60s 70s etc etc

the sport would probaly have collapsed to a few individual meets around the speedway world...our thanks are like you say..treated like 2nd class

citizens of the speedway world

As a newcomer to this site and a returning speedway exile,I do not know anything of the history of speedway on TV.I think it would be far better if the free to air broadcasters got in on the act especially as there are so many meetings in this country.Their great advantage is that they can exclude regional showing of matches i.e they would not be shown in the region either team in a meeting,therefore not reducing the crowd size.It is a pity there appears to be no conduit for fans who would like to see more of the sport on TV to persuade those in charge to enable the coverage to be shared between Sky and the free too air providers.

As a newcomer to this site and a returning speedway exile,I do not know anything of the history of speedway on TV.I think it would be far better if the free to air broadcasters got in on the act especially as there are so many meetings in this country.Their great advantage is that they can exclude regional showing of matches i.e they would not be shown in the region either team in a meeting,therefore not reducing the crowd size.It is a pity there appears to be no conduit for fans who would like to see more of the sport on TV to persuade those in charge to enable the coverage to be shared between Sky and the free too air providers.

It would be great but sadly highly unlikely. BBC and the commercial channels have shown no interest since the demise of World of Sport in the 80s. The kind of deal we have with Sky, or perhaps in the future with BT is probably the best we can hope for.

The new Skysports mix channel, which is free on Virgin (and maybe other platforms?) is about as close as we are to free to view British league speedway. I think they have a league speedway lined up.

This Wednesday, Poole v King's Lynn. Sky Sports Mix is free to Sky and Virgin subscribers but who don't have the main Sky Sports channels. I've not found any other matches scheduled yet, I'm afraid. It's designed to tempt people to subscribe so will offer a few treats to lure people in to subscribe but no more.

Edited by rmc