British Speedway Forum

Should Greg Hancock Ride For Usa?

I hope he has a very very good reason for not riding, and I dont grab giving the youngsters a chance....if that was the case why bother in the Event 2.

Probable that USA would finish last tonight, maybe not, but or there top rider to pull out (except for exceptional reasons) is very poor and a very bad decision which he may regret.

If it takes 60 seconds per race(4 laps) & they are replacing riders to learn & for experience, doing 3 laps in 60 seconds. To be lapped means they will do 4 laps in 80. Even some NL lads & the MDL lads are not that slow so they, really, should not be there.

Really? You think they'll be lapped? They'll all be on the pace.

All this aggro about Greg, I think there'll be more stories unfold in the coming days regarding Aggregate :D

Edited by no-brakes-uk

I hope he has a very very good reason for not riding, and I dont grab giving the youngsters a chance....if that was the case why bother in the Event 2.

Probable that USA would finish last tonight, maybe not, but or there top rider to pull out (except for exceptional reasons) is very poor and a very bad decision which he may regret.

As I explained earlier, Event 2 was the important one for the USA as by qualifying for the race-off they are already qualified for next years semi.

Had they lost to Germany, they would have to qualify.

Reaching the race-off was their goal, they have no chance of going further so this is an opportunity to give some riders experience.

I can see the reasoning, but personally I don't agree with it and think it undermines the tournament. Greg was a bit of a wildcard tonight, with whomever on the other teams could take pts of him playing a big factor.

• Like 5

Bewitched has very well explained the reasoning behind the move.

Which are no doubt correct

It only remains to point out what cynical, scumbags with no care for the speedway public some riders actually are.

When you strip down their motives to the bone.

You can spend your whole career developing a wholsome, fan friendly persona in the media and on the terraces.

But then the mask slips.

'So long as we know'

• Like 1

Very disappointing. The perfect American shows his true colours. I don't buy at all the "give the kids a chance" - they will be out of their depth & will learn virtually nothing from riding alongside Janniro. If anything, it would have made more sense if he had stood down than Hancock, those youngsters could have soaked up a lot from his presence. As it is, he can't be bothered. If he was that interested in US speedway, he would be there regardless of any dispute.

All this does is devalue the event & robs the paying public of seeing a world class performer in the UK for only the second time this year.

I wonder what the Tai Woffinden haters will make of this.

• Like 2

I am probably Greg's biggest fan on this forum but I am most disappointed.

Giving a youngster the experience of finishing half a lap behind established stars is disheartening rather than encouraging.

For many, the highlight of tonight's meeting would have been Greg's race with Emil, now denied.

The paying public have been short-changed and the competition devalued.

I still think Greg is a speedway legend, but he has shot himself in the foot here...unless of course he was dropped by his Team Manager.

If a Team decision it's a poor one. If it's Greg's decision, the Team Manager should have vetoed it.

• Like 2

The quote on the SWC website says "USA have stood down triple world champion Greg Hancock for tonight’s Race Off". That doesn't simply say Greg didn't fancy it to me.

I think there may be more of a story to come out on this one.

Seems so out of character to put all that hard work in on Tuesday and not bother tonight (though BWitcher clearly explained one possible reason for that).

Interesting to see what else emerges.

• Like 1

Really? You think they'll be lapped? They'll all be on the pace.

All this aggro about Greg, I think there'll be more stories unfold in the coming days regarding Aggregate :D

my reply was to foamfence's post that the riders would retire or be lapped.

Excuse my ignorance but I have not seen or heard of the 2 replacements for tonight before

Even if he was dropped it would surely be the team thing to do and be there for the young riders giving all the encouragement he could, whether in the pits or from the terraces. Surely that's the American way, etc.

Very disappointing. The perfect American shows his true colours. I don't buy at all the "give the kids a chance" - they will be out of their depth & will learn virtually nothing from riding alongside Janniro. If anything, it would have made more sense if he had stood down than Hancock, those youngsters could have soaked up a lot from his presence. As it is, he can't be bothered. If he was that interested in US speedway, he would be there regardless of any dispute.

All this does is devalue the event & robs the paying public of seeing a world class performer in the UK for only the second time this year.

I wonder what the Tai Woffinden haters will make of this.

We still hate Tai :lol:

• Like 1

my reply was to foamfence's post that the riders would retire or be lapped.

Excuse my ignorance but I have not seen or heard of the 2 replacements for tonight before

I don't know much about Becker other than he's highly rated and I've seen a video of him winning a scratch main recently. Nicol though has a lot of talent and is on a par with Janniro, if not better already.

They might not be up with the Doyles and Sayfutdinovs but they certainly won't be getting lapped.

Edited by no-brakes-uk
  • Like 1