British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

I'll start this reply by saying how sorry I am for the fans of Coventry, very sad news. One of the best Speedway stadiums in the country gone.

Now I'll reply to your post.

Why would the stadium in have a "short lifespan"?

Correct I do not like the BSPA as in my opinion they are, for the most part, incompetent. The latest issue with Coventry being a good example.

Please tell me what there is to like about the BSPA?

The sport at the top level in this country cannot be a "low capital" sport and survive. You don't seem to get that. The lower divisions are the place for it to be "low capital".

How long have Sky being pumping money into the sport and where has it gone? You will say it's been distributed to the various clubs. Ok, what has it been invested in? Or more accurately what has it been spent on? And how did the clubs finance those things prior to the Sky money?

The tone of your post basically reveals that the sport will cease to exist in the near future.

Is the Sky contract now in danger due to the loss of Coventry?

Sky demands the top league to have at least 8 teams that's why they were waiting for BV before sealing Coventry's fate.
  • Like 3

Wow! Another club bites the dust. Losing any club is a sad day but a club of Coventrys history is virtually unthinkable, as was the thought of losing BV.

All through the years of me being a keen spedway fan, that is the 60's and 70's, through the "missing" years when I "left" the sport, to coming back in 2013, Coventry has always been there.

I really do hope there is a future for Coventry speedway, and that future surfaces soon.

So sorry for all you bees fans.

Been out and just got in to read this news. Sad but expected. The minute Sandhu vandalised the stadium was the minute the club died. You dont remove your belongings by ripping out seats and smashing them up. Or use a grinder to cut down every lighting stantion. That was pure vandalism. He knew what he was doing. Making sure the damage was enough to spell the end for the speedway. He succeeded.

The talk of putting it all back was always bs. I am convinced Brandon Estates is Sandhu. Otherwise why would a building company hide itself away in Jersey so no one could discover the owners? Brandon Estates would have no reason to hide who owns it, unless it was Sandhu. All this Brandon estates not allowing Sandhu into the stadium is utter guff.

I can't blame Horton. Not his fault this Sandhu vandalised his stadium. There's only one person to blame and that is Sandhu. He vandalised the stadium, pure and simple.

The move to Leicester was never going to work. When Horton said at the fans meeting recently that Brandon was off the table for this season I just knew this was coming.

Sorry for the riders who are stuffed. Sorry for the fans who now have no team. Some can migrate to Leicester to get their fix but its not the same as supporting your own club.

I hope the council get tough with the owners of the stadium and refuse point blank any planning permission for housing.

Coventry isn't much of a hot spot for sport. Football and speedway knackered. Wasps enjoying a honeymoon period as new to the area but rugby is pretty boring to watch and that novelty will soon wear off.

I enjoyed my trips to Brandon and the victories. They will be sorely missed.

That's most unlikely. The council can only operate within the legal guidelines when the application for housing may be made. And there is an increasing need for housing according to the Government...need I say more.

A very sad day for Coventry supporters and Speedway in general. I started watching speedway at the Firs Stadium in Norwich in 1963, the stadium was within walking distance of my home, and it led to a life long passion for the sport. What happened at Norwich all those years ago, was the same scenario, the land the stadium sat on was worth more for housing than the return from the activities at the stadium. Like Coventry, we were promised the moon, how a new track would be found, and we would be up and running in no time! 53 years later, I'm still waiting. Dozens of planning applications came and went. Public inquiries, petitions, you name it we tried it. Fortunately Kings Lynn was only an hours drive away, so since the late 60's I became a Stars supporter. Its not the same though, as having Norwich speedway with its history and local connections, and I'm sure it is the same for Coventry supporters. You want your track in Coventry not miles away or sharing with somebody else. I wish you all the luck in the world, and I hope you have better fortunes than we did here.

That's most unlikely. The council can only operate within the legal guidelines when the application for housing may be made. And there is an increasing need for housing according to the Government...need I say more.

I understand that. But. What is the point of living in a place where there is nothing social to do? Go to work come home to your Wimpey home. Go out? Where? its just houses. A society needs activities to attend. No point work, home, tv, bed, work, ...

• Like 5

I think the crunch here is to ascertain who are the members of Brandon Estates. On Thursday night at the grand finale of Coventry Bees I asked MH the same question and he admitted that the Brandon Estates were "known to Sandhu" sorry I think this was an ideal way to end the speedway and then pursue their evil deeds Sandhu's conduct in the destruction of Brandon was according to MH far more than has been reported on this site. Electrics ripped from the ceilings multiple damage to the stadium in fact MH said Sandhu was aghast at the damage?. When one considers he was the self admitted creator of he damage!. What hypocrisy!

• Like 3

I think the crunch here is to ascertain who are the members of Brandon Estates. On Thursday night at the grand finale of Coventry Bees I asked MH the same question and he admitted that the Brandon Estates were "known to Sandhu" sorry I think this was an ideal way to end the speedway and then pursue their evil deeds Sandhu's conduct in the destruction of Brandon was according to MH far more than has been reported on this site. Electrics ripped from the ceilings multiple damage to the stadium in fact MH said Sandhu was aghast at the damage?. When one considers he was the self admitted creator of he damage!. What hypocrisy!

They are very well known to Sandhu

I not only feel sorry for the Bees fans but 7 riders who have stuck by the club all winter with some of them now finding that they will have very little chance now of finding a team place and a chance to earn a living.

The club in my mind is now owned by the clubs loyal fans, I hope you will all get together at a very very large meeting. Bees fans from all over the UK. Get a committee together to take over the running of the club, someone out there a true fan must be able to stand as the clubs promoter. Go to as many meetings up and down the country wearing your Bees shirts and jackets with pride. I am sure that you can think pf plenty to put into a flyer that you can hand around.

Don't stay idle, keep bugging the council, find someone out there locally with enough money to make the club viable. There is land about get the council to make sure that they make it available. There are grants from the sport council to help build facilities. You need as many money men as you can find. Make the dream, your dream happen.

Make sure that you all get together every couple of weeks. Get people to give talks much like the other supporters clubs do that have no teams. Don't let your love of the Bees fall by the wayside, keep together and make sure, that this famous club makes to the tapes again sooner rather than latter. But this time around make it happen in your hands. Not Sandu or another like him or for that matter no Horton. They all knew what was going on and I think they have know for quite sometime. This has just been a way of keeping all and sundry happy until it was to late to do anything about.

Make sure you make your dream work. Keep proud and keep busy

Can you just explain to me why Mick is getting the blame for ending the club? He wasn't the one who sold the stadium to Brandon Estates and he wasn't the one who wrecked it so it couldn't be used. Just interested as I must be a bit thick.

Yep agree with this. Horton has been sold down the river on this, maybe his heart ruled his head trying to get us to ride at Leicester but as a fan id want an owner to try and do the same.

Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

A difficult day, not only for fans but I feel for the riders. Reading it on Twitter, most have kevlars(Kevlar gate opens its ugly head again ) riders would have mechanics in place. What do they turn round and say to sponsors?

Maybe King/Garrity can sneak in at Bellevue at the last hour. For them not to have been told is just outrageous and speak volumes.

The statement read about the financial support that was withdrawn? Was that Sandhu? On Thursday Mick stated Sandhu had no financial input into the bees but wished he did.... The BSPA can take no fault at this outcome, they tried to help, Councillor Stokes had previously interviened to help. No matter who has tried it has just not worked, the agreement was in place and between people who supposedly "love" the bees and wanted to continue really have a funny way of showing it. IF this was the case Mr Sandhu would have backed us, purchased the club back off Mick. It's not like he is short of a few quid at the moment and we have today seen the darkest day in the clubs history at the hands of two men who have let us down so badly.

Nothing adds up as the lease should have carried on in Sandhu's name... Job done. Nobody will admit fault and no story will ever match.

A really sad day, you couldn't make it up....... On that note, lets await Mick's statment...........

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 1

Horton could have at least contacted the riders to explain the situation.

At least a text or email if he wasn't man enough to tell them face to face or via a phone call.

Or the bspa could have told the riders as they are the ones seemingly closing Coventry down.

Incidentally the riders still haven't been contacted and only know through the wonderful social media.

Hang your heads in shame

• Like 4