British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

Sandhu has been very clever over the years. He's convinced so many Coventry fans that he loves the club, yet he conveniently forgets he bought Brandon to knock it down, then hastened the clubs demise by trashing the place. Mick Horton is not perfect, we all know that, but he had a thankless and almost impossible job.

He was never clever. Sad to say that in the winter of discontent, I suspected he had an ulterior motive and this has now come to fruition some years later. I never trusted the man and he has caused the demise of a great and historic speedway club. I do hope that this is only a temporary blip in the history of the Coventry Bees and they return in 2018 and many years to come.

Edited by Steve0
  • Like 4

Sandhu has been very clever over the years. He's convinced so many Coventry fans that he loves the club, yet he conveniently forgets he bought Brandon to knock it down, then hastened the clubs demise by trashing the place. Mick Horton is not perfect, we all know that, but he had a thankless and almost impossible job.

perfectly put mb.

Previous behaviour Janet, he's had a chequered history, so he's easy to blame!

To me it's purely down to Sandhu and Brandon Estates.

I don't believe and never have believed that Sandhu doesn't have any connection to it all still..

The one way to secure the Stadium wouldn't be used would be to trash it... he's not sneaky though, it wasn't the mysterious fire, or travellers getting the blame.

Bingo! Job done!

The story about the Police being involved. What's happening with that? I'd hazard a guess at nothing because

a. they were never involved

b. you can't cause criminal damage to your own property - think about it????

Now it leaves way for them to leave it to rot and then they'll eventually get what they want...

Remember the crap that Jeremy Heaver came out with about the new eco stadium, did anybody really believe that?

They can take their stocks on the road, they don't need Brandon.

Now they sit and wair, Sandhu bought it in 2004, so he's happy to play the long game!

"Honourable man" Money and power that's all he's interested in :mad: .

Well said Jacques.

• Like 1

As a long suffering Newport fan I can sympathise with bees fans , a very sad for the sport in this country. I fear we have seen the last of the bees. A short list of the great clubs that have folded in my time who I thought were untouchable as a supporter is frightening.

Wimbledon, Exeter, Reading , Oxford, Cradley Heath, West Ham, Hackney, Etc and now it seems Coventrys also I fear for Swindon

Edited by Ken Morgan

Can you just explain to me why Mick is getting the blame for ending the club? He wasn't the one who sold the stadium to Brandon Estates and he wasn't the one who wrecked it so it couldn't be used. Just interested as I must be a bit thick.

Well, the Leicester cock-up is Horton's, for starters.

But yes, Mr Sandhu shoulders most of the blame for this. He's sold Coventry Speedway down the river.

The late, great Charles Ochiltree must be turning in his grave.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

The curse of Laurence Rogers strikes again. Every team he has a hand in ends up in a mess. Wonder how long Plymouth will last with him there. Feel sorry for all the Bees fans and riders.

You must be having a laugh :D

I can think of a few people to blame here but Laurence certainly isn't one of them.

Previous behaviour Janet, he's had a chequered history, so he's easy to blame!

To me it's purely down to Sandhu and Brandon Estates.

I don't believe and never have believed that Sandhu doesn't have any connection to it all still..

The one way to secure the Stadium wouldn't be used would be to trash it... he's not sneaky though, it wasn't the mysterious fire, or travellers getting the blame.

Bingo! Job done!

The story about the Police being involved. What's happening with that? I'd hazard a guess at nothing because

a. they were never involved

b. you can't cause criminal damage to your own property - think about it????

Now it leaves way for them to leave it to rot and then they'll eventually get what they want...

Remember the crap that Jeremy Heaver came out with about the new eco stadium, did anybody really believe that?

They can take their stocks on the road, they don't need Brandon.

Now they sit and wair, Sandhu bought it in 2004, so he's happy to play the long game!

"Honourable man" Money and power that's all he's interested in :mad: .

I think you are just about spot on here. A friend of mine did some research and found that there is a lot of circumstantial evidence links Sandhu to Brandon Estates and you have hit the nail on the head : What did happen about the damage being reported to the police ?

I don't think Mick Horton is entirely without fault and it may not be a coincidence that this is announced immediately after Belle Vue's confirmation of running.

However, there's only one party who trashed the stadium and that's where the real blame lies.

• Like 5

Whilst there was a big game being played out in the long run regarding houses, when is speedway going to shut their door on Mike Horton (and his brother Colin) study their track record of chaos and yet a few years ago Steve Ribbons was deemed unfit to be near speedway, truly laughable if it wasn't so sad for all those loyal supporters who are now condemned to false promises and fantasy dreams of a new future, whilst the only fact that will be is that they DO NOT have club to support.

• Like 2

Terrible news but not unexpected, whats left hardly constitutes a league does it? Whilst Horton is not squeaky clean Sandhu is the main villain in this sad saga. Obviously The Leicester move was a safety net just in case the Belle Vue deal did not materialize, once that was announced Coventry get thrown under the bus. Really feel for all the bees fans, I am certainly going to miss my trips to Brandon, the sport in this country really is on a rapid downward spiral. We need Coventry back and we need it ASAP.

Edited by bellevueace
  • Like 1

Whilst there was a big game being played out in the long run regarding houses, when is speedway going to shut their door on Mike Horton (and his brother Colin) study their track record of chaos and yet a few years ago Steve Ribbons was deemed unfit to be near speedway, truly laughable if it wasn't so sad for all those loyal supporters who are now condemned to false promises and fantasy dreams of a new future, whilst the only fact that will be is that they DO NOT have club to support.

Well said that man/woman - Horton being Mick Colin, or Colin Mick - same person as have they ever been seen on the same room together !!

Treated Mr Sandhu and more importantly the FANS with utter contempt when swanning off to Florida and burying head in sand thinking all would be rosy and no need to negotiate. If me in the same position as Mr Sandhu, I would have done exactly the same. Go forth and multiply Horton - you a disgrace,I pity your neighbours in Peterborough who have to put up with you and your "sidekick" Watson.

I think that it was never on and agree with those who say it was a backup / safety net to keep the Sky contract. Will we now get confirmation from Sky that there are to be televised matches in 2017? Whoever is mainly to blame, it was all "curtains" when the stadium was trashed and nothing truly positive has been done since then.

COVENTRY | The Association are not satisfied the club can complete a full league season and therefore the licence has been placed on ice.We sincerely hope circumstances can improve during the course of this year which will enable them to return to the track in the 2018 season.COVENTRY | The key issues:

* Short term agreement with Leicester.

* No guarantee of Brandon return.

* Financial support for club withdrawn.

Hats off to British Speedway Promoters Association - showing that this once great UK sporting spectacle has had enough of the antics of the few who think they can get away with murder.

This could, IMO, either be the dawn of something good (or the start of the end) I am an old 'un now havin been going to Brandon since 1976, and encouraged by promotions who seem to care and make for a great spectacle and provide entertainment - Glasgow (the prime example !) Somerset, Wolverhampton, Poole - the new promotion setups at Peterborough, Belle Vue and Leicester - the efforts being made by Rye House and Sheffield too.

Cardiff each year shows the level of support in the sport. So not a lost cause.

If it does re-appear at Coventry in 2018 - needs the atmosphere recreated like a couple of year ago with the Simpson brothers on microphone and "decks" - Peter York passed his sell by date too many years ago

Finally, going back to the Sheffield promotion - a meeting being offered to the general public with FREE admission to ALL - to raise the profile of the sport in the area - omg - amazing ! Here is hoping ( but sure it will) provides all that the rewards they deserve.

As a Coventry resident & supporter of speedway - today is the blackest of blackest days ! However I ain't given up hope.

Sandhu & Heaver - I know you want good to come of the situation - Stock Cars need you guys too !!!

Can I add my word of sympathy to the suffering Coventry supporters now that this not unexpected news has finally broken? I know all too well the heartache of losing my club through the sheer greed of people who care nothing for the sport or for the club. At Birmingham we were extraordinary lucky to have Tony Mole in the wings and who was prepared to invest in bringing the club back to life after the Phillips fiasco.

The long term hope now can only be that Rugby Council remain steadfast in their declaration that they will not grant planning consent for housing on the site and that there is some way that this decision will eventually filter through to Brandon Estates and that they will finally accept this gracefully and allow the stadium to revert back to ownership of genuine speedway, stock car and greyhound people.

This might well mean a couple of years at least, out in the wilderness, but I send the Bees fans every good wish for the future.

• Like 4

Sad Sad Day. As a long time Brummie fan who as spent many a happy hour on the terraces at Brandon in the company of many bees fans on the first bend. I feel sorry for the possible long term demise of your famous old club. Hope that last sentence is wrong and you can rise again. And hear the flight of the Bumble Bee again,

Well, the Leicester cock-up is Horton's, for starters.

But yes, Mr Sandhu shoulders most of the blame for this. He's sold Coventry Speedway down the river.

The late, great Charles Ochiltree must be turning in his grave.

All the best

Rob

Why would Ochiltree be turning in his grave he sold the lions stadium and closed them down ..hardly someone to put forward when it comes to speedway over money .

• Like 1