British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

Really sad to hear the news about the Bees - I really hope this isn't the end for the club. Sad, sad news for all of their fans. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I fear we are about to see a similar chain of events in regard to Coventry as those that affect already departed major tracks like Wimbledon, Oxford and Reading for example.

In the future years there will be lost lots of talk and actions to try an spark a return at Coventry as there has been at these other venues, but IMO like them never really likely to reach a happy result.

Edited by Guest

How can this happen just weeks before the start of the season ?

Surely the BSPA management should be held responsible or part of the blame .

Feel sorry for the fans of Coventry .

They should considering they listed one of the reasons being we only had a 8 meetings contract. We all knew that and so did they.

How can this happen just weeks before the start of the season ?

It happened yoda simply because this is speedway management in all its categories. Very sad for Coventry speedway fans - a club with a great over they years reputation and also much respected as a race venue over the years for midget car racing (1937-39) and post-war for small oval car racing aka stock car racing since 1954. The latter not directly affected by what has happened to the speedway club but will be because the actual race venue is no more.

Feel gutted for the Bees followers; rather like having the carpet pulled from underneath you!! No sooner does one team (my lot, Belle Vue,) get sorted, another hits the rocks. I've felt for a while that the problem of where they would race would still raise its head again and so it has. Looking at the state of Brandon, it was hard to visualise anything taking place in the near future; such was the damage to important items; ie, the floodlight pylons, as well as various other items.

I'm sure some riders will slot in teams as the season rolls on, but it will be of scant consolation for those who have only one team, having had two until now. Speedway is damned expensive to participate in, certainly not a hobby. The outlay they will have gone to for the season requires two teams to make it pay, I sincerely hope that they can relocate ASAP. Brandon was a showpiece stadium under the Ochiltree's, everything had to be in place and was run with military precision.

I really hope that it isn't, but I fear this may well be the end for Brandon, if it is, what a sad way for a once proud club to enter the history books of closed tracks.

My personal happiness that Belle Vue seem to have been saved and have a secure future has been flattened by the news about Coventry. One of the great clubs in speedway history has potentially been lost due to the greed and ego of people who shouldn't be allowed near a track again, let alone run a club.

I feel so sorry for the fans and riders who deserve better.

A sad, sad day for the sport.

• Like 4

Here's a quote from the Facebook page of the stock car promotion at Coventry - Startrax Motorsport. I just pinpoint what may have already been taking place according to this as seen on their Facebook page: "...as far as 2017 is concerned - not withstanding investing a substantial 5 figure sum in buying equipment for Stoke from Coventry such as grader / tanker etc.."

On the face off it does appear that basic equipment was already being sold at a time when I think there was talk of an eventual return of speedway to Brandon later in the summer?

TBH - it all gets very confusing! :unsure:

Edited by Guest

Feel gutted for the Bees followers; rather like having the carpet pulled from underneath you!! No sooner does one team (my lot, Belle Vue,) get sorted, another hits the rocks. I've felt for a while that the problem of where they would race would still raise its head again and so it has. Looking at the state of Brandon, it was hard to visualise anything taking place in the near future; such was the damage to important items; ie, the floodlight pylons, as well as various other items.

I'm sure some riders will slot in teams as the season rolls on, but it will be of scant consolation for those who have only one team, having had two until now. Speedway is damned expensive to participate in, certainly not a hobby. The outlay they will have gone to for the season requires two teams to make it pay, I sincerely hope that they can relocate ASAP. Brandon was a showpiece stadium under the Ochiltree's, everything had to be in place and was run with military precision.

I really hope that it isn't, but I fear this may well be the end for Brandon, if it is, what a sad way for a once proud club to enter the history books of closed tracks.

​James Sarjeant is now without a club at all! :mad:

• Like 1

Just looked on the Lions website and Coventry's fixtures have gone already, as has Coventry on the list of clubs in the Premiership! Did those in charge know this would happen? Seems to have taken place a bit sharpish, it was only announced a couple of hours ago.

Edit:

Just looked at a few more and no sign of Coventry on any fixtures. Seems odd that all fixture lists have been altered at the same time ... and it's a Sunday!

Just to add, to all those who are involved in the demise of Brandon Stadium, hang your heads in shame. Your ambition to be the richest person in the cemetery has moved a step closer.

Edited by nobblytriers

...but we have seen similar departures by other great clubs in the past 12 or so years. Wimbledon especially spring to mind but there have been as I have previously mentioned venues like Reading, Oxford and further back that wonderful south coast circuit at Southampton.

What a shambolic way for one of Britain's most iconic clubs to come to an end. Hopefully they will be back in 2018, but I won't hold my breath. Well done messers Sandhu, Horton and Brandon Estates. Years of history killed by a childish game of brinkmanship which went too far.

Edited by mb1990
  • Like 6