British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

Afc Wimbledon about the same fan base as the bees at the time, Fc United of Manchester,Hinckley Utd,wycombe to name a few whose fans have saved their club from extinction and moved it forward by running it as a supporters owned club.

Okay fair enough I don't follow football so no idea what the attendances are like for those clubs but you say 'running it as a supporters owned club' which is a bit different to having to build a new home somewhere as you said in your original post. Any old grass field would do for a football match, just stick some goal posts up and paint a few lines and they're away. :lol: Speedway is completely different needing a track, tractors, starting gate, lights, loudspeakers, toilets, food outlets, pits, car park etc. etc., and that's if you can find somewhere miles away from any houses to avoid complaints about noisy motorbikes.

• Like 1

Okay fair enough I don't follow football so no idea what the attendances are like for those clubs but you say 'running it as a supporters owned club' which is a bit different to having to build a new home somewhere as you said in your original post. Any old grass field would do for a football match, just stick some goal posts up and paint a few lines and they're away. :lol: Speedway is completely different needing a track, tractors, starting gate, lights, loudspeakers, toilets, food outlets, pits, car park etc. etc., and that's if you can find somewhere miles away from any houses to avoid complaints about noisy motorbikes.

I was talking teams with better facilities than fields,lol

Someone said rugby council are supportive that is the biggest start, I remember some years ago not far from Brandon they were close to building an international airport on masses of land so surely rugby council could find a somerset type piece of land where the airport was planned and I feel if it was a fans group it would get even more support.

Finding a field, that is suitable for any sort of stadium is difficult. For any sort of motorsport, it's nigh on impossible. Not only have you got to contend with the "nimby" fraternity, you have the environmentalists, green belt strategists, infrastructure issues, the "community" that's just outside the "nimby" fraternity, and Planning, if a Speedway track can be built, let's allow houses or industrial estates to be erected there. The stadium, however small, has to be connected to the drain system, unless you go down the chemical waste route, you need a water supply, electric supply, and wobetide, any pollution escapes into the land and/or watercourse!!

Assuming a piece of land can be found that is suitable, and it meets (ALL) the criteria.. How long does it take to get it through the local council? You know, planning, public meetings for any disputes over it being built there, newt search, etc.. If they find that golden bit of land, say March 1st, how soon could ground be broken?

• Like 2

I was talking teams with better facilities than fields,lol

Someone said rugby council are supportive that is the biggest start, I remember some years ago not far from Brandon they were close to building an international airport on masses of land so surely rugby council could find a somerset type piece of land where the airport was planned and I feel if it was a fans group it would get even more support.

That airport idea would've wiped out loads of villages. There is land near Coventry Airport but it seems its earmarked for warehousing units. There was one site that would've been ideal but it was advised planning would fail due to access in and out of the site at Brandon Farm. Edited by woz01

Nobody is going to buy a season ticket surely?

I doubt many (if any) will be sold unless there is news about a return to Brandon. Personally I don't know why people buy them anyway it's not like it's a massive saving. Don't know why the don't do a 6 meeting package that would possibly help getting numbers to Leicester

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

Finding a field, that is suitable for any sort of stadium is difficult. For any sort of motorsport, it's nigh on impossible. Not only have you got to contend with the "nimby" fraternity, you have the environmentalists, green belt strategists, infrastructure issues, the "community" that's just outside the "nimby" fraternity, and Planning, if a Speedway track can be built, let's allow houses or industrial estates to be erected there. The stadium, however small, has to be connected to the drain system, unless you go down the chemical waste route, you need a water supply, electric supply, and wobetide, any pollution escapes into the land and/or watercourse!!

Assuming a piece of land can be found that is suitable, and it meets (ALL) the criteria.. How long does it take to get it through the local council? You know, planning, public meetings for any disputes over it being built there, newt search, etc.. If they find that golden bit of land, say March 1st, how soon could ground be broken?

You put it so much better than me. In other words nigh on impossible.

Nobody is going to buy a season ticket surely?

I had planned to get one this season so as to avoid having to go through turnstiles with seat, bag and dog...plus the addition of a crutch I imagine now.....but that was at Brandon. I won't be getting one for Leicester as it's just straight through.

8 meetings for £100 is superb value, fair play to the promotion. OAPs and students £80

Discount for Senior Citizens too!!

Cue Shawn!!

• Like 3

Almost worth a Lions Supporter or two to buy a Coventry Half Season ticket !! ........

Good move by the Promotion ...

Exactly what I just posted on Facebook, if it was the other way round and Leicester at Brandon I'd consider it. A few people have said that they are now going to Leicester when they wasn't originally. Edited by woz01
  • Like 1

Discount for Senior Citizens too!!

Cue Shawn!!

Does seem to be at odds with what was claimed last year! No discount last year as OAPs were only getting slightly less than working people, now its suggested OAPs are better off than working people they get a discount :blink:

Does seem to be at odds with what was claimed last year! No discount last year as OAPs were only getting slightly less than working people, now its suggested OAPs are better off than working people they get a discount :blink:

As I've explained before, it's nothing to do with how well off people are it's a commercial decision. It's no different to businesses that offer a discount or incentive to different groups, teachers, civil servants, those who buy certain brands of goods etc. It is sound business practice to make such offers to those with disposable income. Horton may have realised after his experiment last year that taking away the concession did not make commercial sense or he may think it will encourage more pensioners to travel to Leicester.

• Like 1

To be fair it's part of the lease agreement to charge the same admission as Leicester.

Edited by woz01

To be fair it's part of the lease agreement to charge the same admission as Leicester.

I would imagine the agreement is to not charge less ;) But that may be why.

Also Aces51 makes a fair point. If it failed last year Mick might be reverting back to how things were before.