British Speedway Forum

Coventry 2017

Looking at the statement the Bees put out they thank the council and Mr Stokes.

Us being homeless hopefully puts more possibility of us getting a new home quicker. Well fingers crossed.

Lets hope promises are kept and your not out of Brandon long..

It's wasn't exactly difficult to work out it might happen but, if you need the ego boost, carry on gloating over our demise.

Still got disaster written all over it.

Would you still be able to get to Poole on your bike if they moved 30 mins away from Wimborne Rd?

Have a car actually.. :D

Don't remember anyone telling you it wouldn't happen, just that it was a cr*p idea, which it is.

Hope Horton has some wealthy backers otherwise we won't see the season out.

And I'm one of the few that might give it a chance, if we have a clear date to return to Brandon.

Many I know won't or can't get to Leicester. The lack of facilities at Beaumont Park will put several off. The Bees have many fans that like to watch their speedway from the comfort of a nice warm bar.

If a large number of Coventry fans think like this and will not put themselves out a little for a short time to help save their club then i fear that they may have to get to like watching their speedway from the comfort of their nice warm living room in front of the telly.If you don't let the promoters know you want it why would they plough money back into Brandon and maybe at a later date into a new stadium.Only my opinion but show them that you want it and will in numbers stand by the club.

Edited by B.V 72
  • Like 3

Lets all give the riders from the Aces / lions / Bees a big vote of thanks for sticking with their relevant clubs through this very messy time. Lets hope we can be back at Brandon sooner rather than later...

Agree with this. I thank the Bees 1-7 for sticking with the club. Fans appreciate that.

• Like 1

So it goes like this, you have Horton and Sandhu who are trying to manipulate each other for financial advantage, but between them they end up trashing the stadium and the Bees are homeless. So then they get together and cobble some financial arrangement together that means the Bees have got to ride at Leicester with no clear time line for a return to Brandon. Then they want the fans to pull together to bail them out and put money in their pockets.

Jog on is what I say and a pox on them both.

• Like 1

Don't remember anyone telling you it wouldn't happen, just that it was a cr*p idea, which it is.

Hope Horton has some wealthy backers otherwise we won't see the season out.

And I'm one of the few that might give it a chance, if we have a clear date to return to Brandon.

Many I know won't or can't get to Leicester. The lack of facilities at Beaumont Park will put several off. The Bees have many fans that like to watch their speedway from the comfort of a nice warm bar.

We're a tougher breed oop North, tha knows. Bunch of southern softies you Cov lot.

All will be pleased that a solution has been found albeit a short term one. A definite date or commitment for a return to Brandon is a must otherwise it will be a financial disaster and it will all have been for nothing.

• Like 1

It's not great news if you are a Coventry fan but at least the club will continue. I'm hoping that it doesn't take too long to restore Brandon to an acceptable sports stadium and the Bees can return home. I know Leicester isn't ideal but it is a lifeline and will require the support of fans to keep them going in this difficult scenario.

Keep the faith.

• Like 6

It would seem Sandhu is the backer. Also club have said they will this week price up coach travel for fans. The other week most said they wouldn't go to Leicester but now the news has broke some have seemed to change their stance a little. It will need help from everyone to make it work and it won't be easy. For example we may have a spare seat or two in the car for some meetings so my Dad could give someone a lift. Fans can work together on this.

Its not so much not having the car to get their but the time. I work in Caerphilly and can just about, with a heavy right foot get to Brandon for a 7.30 start. But I stand zero chance of getting to Leicester.

As it is, I'm probably not he person to listen as I've only been to 4 or 5 meetings in each of the last few years but I won't be the only one in this situation. Some people just won't be able to get to Leicester for 7.30.

It might work as a short term thing for the first 2 or 3 meetings (meeting 1 people will be keen. Meeting 2 vs Leicester so big "away" following) and meeting 3 vs Poole (bit of a grudge meeting so always likely to get a decent crowd) but after that support will wane until the team is back at Brandon by then.

Come on guys and gals. I don't know the real facts of this better than anyone else. We were facing two ways forward. Closure or some other way that at least kept hope alive. I don't want to support my team in someone else's stadium. But if there's still a chance of us going back to Brandon and maybe, just maybe a new stadium, I for one will do everything to support my Bees. Not Mick Horton, not Avtar Sandhu, not Brandon Estates, not even Michael Stokes (bless him). The Bees. A virtual entity bigger than any person or venue.

Edited by False dawn
  • Like 6

Its not so much not having the car to get their but the time. I work in Caerphilly and can just about, with a heavy right foot get to Brandon for a 7.30 start. But I stand zero chance of getting to Leicester.

As it is, I'm probably not he person to listen as I've only been to 4 or 5 meetings in each of the last few years but I won't be the only one in this situation. Some people just won't be able to get to Leicester for 7.30.

It might work as a short term thing for the first 2 or 3 meetings (meeting 1 people will be keen. Meeting 2 vs Leicester so big "away" following) and meeting 3 vs Poole (bit of a grudge meeting so always likely to get a decent crowd) but after that support will wane until the team is back at Brandon by then.

Yep time is an issue for me too, not all the time mind. When I work days I work till 6.20pm it doesn't give me enough time to get home, shower and get to Leicester. Trust me I need to shower after a shift where I work! I will have to ask for a little leeway from work. Maybe Saturday would be better suited for Bees fans buy obviously Leicester should get the choice. Maybe a slightly later start time? 7.45-8?

Come on guys and gals. I don't know the real facts of this better than anyone else. We were facing two ways forward. Closure or some other way that at least kept hope alive. I don't want to support my team in someone else's stadium. But if there's still a chance of us going back to Brandon and maybe, just maybe a new stadium, I for one will do everything to support my Bees. Not Mick Horton, not Avtar Sandhu, not Brandon Estates, not even Michael Stokes (bless him). The Bees. A virtual entity bigger than any person or venue.

This is the way I've been looking at it since it was first said it could be a possibility. A Wasps fan told me today that 2 years after moving to Coventry he was delighted he still has a club to support even though he was dead against the move originally. Now he doesn't miss a game. I know some will struggle to attend but I hope the club will help as much as possible and I'm going to try and do my bit if I can. Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

Yep time is an issue for me too, not all the time mind. When I work days I work till 6.20pm it doesn't give me enough time to get home, shower and get to Leicester. Trust me I need to shower after a shift where I work! I will have to ask for a little leeway from work. Maybe Saturday would be better suited for Bees fans buy obviously Leicester should get the choice. Maybe a slightly later start time? 7.45-8?

This is the way I've been looking at it since it was first said it could be a possibility. A Wasps fan told me today that 2 years after moving to Coventry he was delighted he still has a club to support even though he was dead against the move originally. Now he doesn't miss a game. I know some will struggle to attend but I hope the club will help as much as possible and I'm going to try and do my bit if I can.

I'd say 7.45/ 8.00 start time is a necessity on a Friday and I live the right side of Coventry to do the journey in 25 minutes if the M69 is clear.

The promotion have will have to show a lot of good will to make this work. Cheap entry, subsidised travel for those that don't have transport, cheap deals for Leicester season ticket holders.

Given that they still owe us season ticket holders from last season, I doubt they have it in them to make it work.

• Like 1

nobody has said it is for three meetings there is a possibility they could be at Brandon by April or when they get H/S certificate.I'll wait till it becomes more clear

nobody has said it is for three meetings there is a possibility they could be at Brandon by April or when they get H/S certificate.I'll wait till it becomes more clear

I was told 5 meetings, but where that figure comes from is anyone's guess.

The key announcement will come from the stox, as if they declare intent to run stox at Brandon on April 1st there wouldn't be any need for the Bees to use Leicester.

Still way more questions than answers I'm afraid.

Edited by CB252
  • Like 1

and the timeline is .......... ? Even an approximate to the nearest 4 weeks would be a start.

the only time I might be watching my team Coventry at Beamont Park, will be in their AWAY fixture.

So sorry for not feeling impressed with SGP being "pleased" to announce message.

Absolute joke ! Collusion & back handers I wonder with Chapman / Horton and Sandhu ?

Where is the progress ??????

Now have to question the integrity too of Rugby Councillor Mr Stokes - he spent far too much time on the subject where

I am damn sure that more important matters need addressing in Rugby for the hard working folk of that area.

Time will eventually show that he ain't gonna be the hero that he reckoned he would be. Good luck to the fella in the next local

elections.

It is great news that the Bees are up and running again, after losing speedway for 20 years in Leicester, the best thing to happen was when we got it back again at BP. Then DH put us in the EL and tried to put together a team for 3 years of nothing better than NL riders bar Jason Doyle, even he got fed up in the end of have no riders to back him up.

Then towards the end of last season, things started to look glumb to say the least and it looked like the Lions would close yet again, but thanks to a lot of work behind the scenes, we have been given another life line.

It is not the best circumstances to ask the Bees fans to support thier team in another stadium, it is not that it is a million miles away from Brandon, from the way things look, Brandon will be up and running in the early part of the seaon, maybe after 4 or 5 meeting, but if the fans say sod it I am not going to watch my team anywhere but Brandon, then all the hard work that has been done to save the club will be for nothing.

If the fans stay away, then who ever is running the show, will take a second look at things and not even bother putting the stadium to rights again.

So it goes like this no fans turning out to watch thier team, even if it means they are 15 minutes late, that that will be the last we will see of the Bees. Don't let it happen, please give them the support they need. It is horrid to lose your club, seen it happen to me twice.

Edited by weatherwatcher
  • Like 4